Synthetic Benefit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
A dino oil, will not keep the inside of your engine as clean, even at 3000 mi intervals, than a quality Synthetic! A synthetic oil also lubricates better & will show much less engine wear! Even at 3000 mile intervals....
OMG!

NOT TRUE..
37.gif

SPEND SOME TIME LOOKING AROUND..

What statements this board has become....
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: tuckman
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I was told that good dino oils will handle fuel dilution better than synthetics. If this is correct then for short trip driving, 3000mi OCI's dino is the way to go. If your miles are 50/50 or more highway you are throwing away your money with a 3000mi OCI even with dino.

So I guess the question lies in the question. More info about this 3000mi OCI would get a more direct answer...breeves?
Neither will handle a lot of fuel better.

If you have a fuel problem, FIX IT. Don't expect oil to do so.

If you have a fuel problem and do not fix it, then CHANGING the oil is the best thing more often.

Reason? Gets the [censored] and by products out and new additives along with new oil in.

Bill

Listen to Bill in Utah, he has made some excellent points.

As a general rule, I personally go by a 5k oci for conventional, 10k interval for synthetic.

The only exception to this is turbos, known sludgers, and engines specifically hard on oil.

To recap, synthetic oils have similar characteristics as mineral oils at operating temperatures. The synthetic oil will however be less honey - like at startup even though it has the same API / SAE rating. Yet the synthetic 10W-30 weight oil is based on a heavier 30 weight oil while the mineral based 10W-30 oil is based on a thinner 10 weight oil. They are both similar at operating temperatures yet the 30 weight based synthetic is actually less thick at startup and much less honey - like at low temperatures. This is the opposite of what common sense dictates. By Dr. Haas.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: tuckman
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I was told that good dino oils will handle fuel dilution better than synthetics. If this is correct then for short trip driving, 3000mi OCI's dino is the way to go. If your miles are 50/50 or more highway you are throwing away your money with a 3000mi OCI even with dino.

So I guess the question lies in the question. More info about this 3000mi OCI would get a more direct answer...breeves?
Neither will handle a lot of fuel better.

If you have a fuel problem, FIX IT. Don't expect oil to do so.

If you have a fuel problem and do not fix it, then CHANGING the oil is the best thing more often.

Reason? Gets the [censored] and by products out and new additives along with new oil in.

Bill

I never said that an oil would fix an apparent fuel dilution problem. There are certain engines that seem to be much worse than others, such as some D.I. engines. Or if the vehicle sees lots of idle time that would cause the same problem. YES I know that the solution to that problem is cut the idle time but when its -52C outside and the auto trans fluid is so cold the vehicle won't move or the power steering hoses will burst if not warmed properly. You idle your vehicle for longer periods of time. So in these situations where you would be dropping the oil more often. I feel a dino would be better suited for this as it is less expensive (exception who would want to have a straight dino in there vehicle @ -52C...lol). Also seeing that we are in the PCMO section I will not bring up the reasons for long idle time in a big truck with PTO pumps. I will look back thru BITOG and find who and where stated that a dino oil would handle fuel dilution and post the thread when I find it and we can ask them for their reasoning.
I did ask to be corrected if I was wrong...I just want some proof behind it.

Thank you Bill for your input I hold it in the highest regaurd. I am still a newb compared to you, so I want to ask lots of questions. I have spent countless hours searching this site seeking knowledge and correct information (at times it is hard to find thru all of the conflicting opinions on some subjects)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back