Synthetic bad for clutch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing to add on the synthetic break-in...

I think all manufacturers of just about anything no longer leave such peaks on their cylinder hones. Everything is plateau honed so that the cylinders have more of a broken-in surface to them. So, break in isn't about breaking off those peaks anymore. Yeah, it was hard to generate enough friction and heat to get a good initial ring seal with a synthetic. I still do break ins on petroleum oil, but it doesn't have to be for a substantial period of time.

Originally Posted By: SD26
Originally Posted By: kballowe

Do you mean that the engine oil (may) be used in the transmission?

In air cooled Buell's and Sporties, the engine and transmission oil is shared. The bigger stuff, you probably know more than me.

DOH !!! Yeah, I should know better. I think my brain is on vacation. I don't own a Buell, but this is Sportster #4.
55892006_XL1200C-3.JPG

If your clutch is weak a synthetic oil might cause problems. I had a Suzuki GSF1200 Bandit with a marginal clutch and had to be careful about the oil I used. Other than that bike it never really made a lick of difference what I poured in them as long as it was close the the weight it needed.

Originally Posted By: KW
If your clutch is weak a synthetic oil might cause problems. I had a Suzuki GSF1200 Bandit with a marginal clutch and had to be careful about the oil I used. Other than that bike it never really made a lick of difference what I poured in them as long as it was close the the weight it needed.

I had the same experience, in fact I believe we were both on the same Bandit forum at the time.

The Gen1 GSF1200 clutches were good for testing oil friction properties.

In air cooled Buell's and Sporties, the engine and transmission oil is shared. The bigger stuff, you probably know more than me.

In Sportsters the engine is seperate. The trans & primary share lube. I had a 2005 Sportster. FWIW, Harley Davidson poo pooed syn oil with the bearing skate wives tale until they got Citgo to develop Syn3. Now they recommend it in everything...even salad...
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PT1

In Sportsters the engine is seperate. The trans & primary share lube. I had a 2005 Sportster. FWIW, Harley Davidson poo pooed syn oil with the bearing skate wives tale until they got Citgo to develop Syn3. Now they recommend it in everything...even salad...
LOL.gif

True. Is it the same for a Buell? I know that Eric Buell had some neat ideas - putting the oil in the frame.... fake fuel tank and putting the actual tank low between the frame to lower the center of gravity. Not (personally) knowing anything about Buell motorcycles.....

I think what may confuse some folks is that HD eliminated the transmission "trap door" on Sportsters in 2004. This means that you must now split the case to get to the transmission. Still, the transmission and primary share the same fluid.

I'm wrong. Yeah, the engine is one oil. Trans, primary is another. I'm new to the Buell gig, and I had thought one thing, and it was another.

It's the same as a Sportster.

Oil is out of the frame in Buells since the XB series in 2003. Fuel is in the frame, and the engine oil is in the swingarm actually.

Still have to split the cases to get at the transmission on a Buell too. I know that is the way it is currently, I can't say what it was on the early XB's of 2003.

The bigger Harleys have a separate trans and engine and don't share oil. Only Sportsters and sportster engines share trans and engine oil.

Originally Posted By: wileyE
I posted the link to show that there is some truth in the slippery debate, it's not totaly myth despite what oil marketeers web sites say. Is it a problem fro clutches, not likely.

The marketeers are also to blame for the slippery synthetic rumors IMO. Yes even amsway. Early on they are the ones that made all the low friction and better mpg claims and even advised against break in. Some these claims still exist today with some brand followers. Claims of more power and better mpg, yet denying any difference in friction coefficient. One of the claims isn't true, or is just purely exaggerated.

Apple-oranges. Sure, but a harley is more like the diesel than many higher revving gas engines. The cam and cam bearings turn at 1/2 engine speed which is quite slow. A stationary diesel may run at 1800rpms with cam speeds of 900. Under what it takes for the parts to get up on a oil plane. A harley is capable of more rpms, but in reality most are used just loping around at diesel like rpms. Why for both it's important to have as much protection from the basestock and antiwear add as possible. Being synthetic doesn't equate into better protection in this regime.

Harleys and diesel engines share almost nothing in common. All reciprocating internal combustion engines have cams running half speed of the crank, but Harleys (except V-Rods) are air-cooled, have dry-sumps, and run on gasoline. Since they have low compression engines, their parts are not subject to the same stresses as a high-compression diesel. Also, they don't deal with the large amounts of combustion blow-by products that can taint oil with acids and other chemicals. Hence HDEOs have different add packs to deal with these problems. Since large Harley clutches don't share engine oil, there is no reason not to use synthetic oil especially considering how hot these engines get in "parade" mode. However, many of you consider the Harley shops to be the "ultimate" authority on all things motorcycle, so we are wasting our time trying to influence your oil decisions. Just keep using the straight 60 weight conventional oil that many shops were recommending just a few years ago and don't worry about a thing. "Them 'er tough engines!!" Just for grins, find out what type of oil is used in the Harley factory flat-track racing bikes and that will tell you alot about what Harley considers proper oil for their street engines. You Harley riders do know what an XR750 is, don't you? And I know you all know who Scott Parker is, right? The Michigan Mafia too?

In my mind - the comparison was the valve train. Pushrods/lifters/rocker arms and such. We weren't only talking about Harleys. There are many other bikes that have that sort of valve train.

Many metric bikes have overhead cams so in that case, yes, not much in common.

FWIW, most racing oil is not generally suitable for the everyday street machine.

Did you have something to add, or did you post - just to bash Harleys and Harley "riders"?

We WERE having a nice, pleasant discussion.

Not bashing Harleys, but maybe bashing the people who maintain them. Most metric bikes tend to incorporate the newest technology and with it the need for high quality oil. My experience with Harley (and some metric) mechanics is that they tend to give extremely dated or outright false information. Some of my riding buddies have told me that they have been told by dealers to use heavy, straight-weight, conventional oil. That advice was from an earlier age when many bikes leaked most of their oil out on the ground and heavy oil leaked more slowly than thin oil. When part clearances were so sloppy and loose that a heavy oil was needed to tighten up the clearances. I am not saying that Harley doesn't use cutting-edge technology because they have really improved their product over the last few years. New metallurgy, manufacturing efficiencies, improved electronics, all point to updated fluid technology too. I'd like to see dealer personnel quit telling customers not to use synthetic oil to "break-in" an engine, or that it makes clutches slip. Many modern engines are already broken in when they come out of the crate. Clutches are designed for life in the extreme -- oil won't really affect them one way or another. And then the dicussion comes up about oil making clutches slip and someone mentions Harleys and they don't even use the engine oil for lubrication, so unless a V-Rod or Sportster is specifically mentioned, there is no debate. I am just trying to get people to quit repeating the tired, old wives-tales about synthetic oil and motorcycles.

Well the clutch basket on a Harley is located in the primary chaincase.

There are a lot of folks that use the same synthetic oil in the engine and in the primary chaincases on their Harleys so I would think that discussion about clutch slippage and synthetic oil would also apply to the Harley crowd.

Quote:
Just for grins, find out what type of oil is used in the Harley factory flat-track racing bikes and that will tell you alot about what Harley considers proper oil for their street engines.

Do you know what oil they use, ZGRider?

Quote:
And I know you all know who Scott Parker is, right? The Michigan Mafia too

Just read that article in the latest issue of either Motorcyclist or Cycle World (can't remember which one
21.gif
) about those guys. Most excellent!!

Those guys are REAL men, and how about KR riding a TZ750 2-stroke and winning? They say **** Mann crashed in '69 and broke his collarbone with the bone end sticking out of the skin, but since he was supporting his family by his winnings, he taped a feminine napkin over the end of the bone and went out and won the next race that weekend. He raced the rest of the season with the broken collarbone. Can you imagine the pain? Seriously real men!!

Originally Posted By: ZGRider
He raced the rest of the season with the broken collarbone.

Maybe ... but I'm skeptical.

I broke my left collar bone twice. The break was never all the way through, just one of those splinter breaks. And let me tell you, the pain was excruciating. To the point of debilitating.

From a purely mechanical point of view, I would doubt that anyone who broke the collar point clean through would have much use of the arm.

If this is true, then my hat off to the guy. Truly.

Of course, had I been riding with Rotella then it would have been no problem. Yeah, Rotella oil is that good.
wink.gif

OK, here's the article, but it wasn't Mann, it was Resweber. I second that comment about Rotella, though.

http://books.google.com/books?id=7KfXb1O...num=1&ct=result

RL

Last edited:
I too broke my collarbone in Utah dirtbiking and I agree about the pain. I couldn't even pick my bike up off the ground to ride back to camp. Although, I didn't go to the hospital for 2 weeks and I stayed out in Utah for 3 more days so I wouldn't ruin the other guys' ride. Ibuprofen is a great painkiller.

Originally Posted By: TucsonDon

Maybe ... but I'm skeptical.

Of course, had I been riding with Rotella then it would have been no problem. Yeah, Rotella oil is that good.
wink.gif

Don,

How have you been? Still running Rotella, I see.

Did you go back to the 15w-40 or are you using the 5w-40?

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back