Synthetic 5W-30 vs 10W-30 in 1998 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 1998 Camry with 72,000 miles. This is one of the engines that has the potential sludge problem, but I have not seen any evidence of sludge in my engine. I have been reading here for about a month and have made the decision to switch to synthetic based on the advice I got here.

My desire is to avoid the sludge problem. I have used dino up to this point with oil and filter changed at every 5,000 mile. I could have extended it to 7,500 miles per Toyota, but was not comfortable with that.

I intend to clean the engine, probably with AutoRx, then switch to synthetic and do either 4,000 or 5,000 mile changes (not sure which yet). I know I can go further, but do not want to take a chance.

Toyota recommends 5W-30 for my car, with their second choice being 10W-30. In looking and comparing, I noticed that most of the synthetic manufactures say the 5W-30 is recommended for "newer cars". The 10W-30 is recommended for "high mileage vehicles" (over 75,000 miles). The weather here gets in the 90's in the summer, and rarely below 10 in the winter.

So which is best for me and my Camry?
gr_eek2.gif

Well, I have a 92 Camry V6, not sure if you have the 4 or 6. With synthetics I have gone 7500 between changes safely. Beyond that is pushing it as the oil is pretty beat up by then but still okay.

In your case, easily 5000 but one or two oil analysis will quickly confirm your interval and just stick with that. You have no break in issues so one or two samples should do it. Your climate is similar to mine and if you run that engine for ten miles or so most of the time you start it you should be fine with 5-7,500 mile intervals with synthetic. Try 5000 sample, if good go to 7500 sample and then stabilize based upon that.

If only short trips most of the time then 5000 may be the limit. So much depends on outside factors.

I use 10W but that is what was specified for mine. I would go with the 5W as TN does get some cooler weather. I use a 0W30 in one car so a 5W would not bother me at all

[ October 28, 2003, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Spector ]

Gizmo,

I like your plan to auto-rx you motor. After seeing the garbage come out of the motor of our V6 Toyota, you can't go wrong.

Getting back to 5w vs 10w...
I was wondering the same thing, too. I just posted my UOA from my 99 Sienna V6 with M1 5w30. After the new oil is gone, I'm switching to M1 10w30, then post an analysis on that to see if there's any benefit to using the different viscosity. It will be at least 4 more months before I get to that point, though.

Honestly, I really doubt there will be any difference between the two. They're both rated at 10.0 cSt for 100 degrees and both thicken up over they're life. It never gets that cold down here in TN to worry about flow rates at extreme cold, either. I just wish WalMart had them on sale for $18.88 for the 5 qt jugs!

Over here in Virginia, the local Target has M1 in all grades for $3.38 qt. Bought some last weekend. Don't know if it is the same in Tenn.

Do a good search on toyota v6 on this site. I'm now of the opinion that at least for this particular engine Redline 5w30 is the way to go .

Mobil 1, 10w-30 w/ 5k drains

Amsoil Series 3000, 5w-30 w/ 10k drains

Redline 5w-30 or 10w-30 w/ 10k drains

Those would be my top three choices for this motor.

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

Thanks for all the replies. One more question. What type of store sells Redline? I have never seen it in any store. Maybe I am just looking in the wrong place.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Mobil 1, 10w-30 w/ 5k drains
Amsoil Series 3000, 5w-30 w/ 10k drains
Redline 5w-30 or 10w-30 w/ 10k drains
Those would be my top three choices for this motor.
Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

Based upon my experience with the Toyota V6 this engine will not produce good UOA at anything over 7500 mile OCI with over 50% city driving. It just beats up the oil including the Amsoil. Maybe the diesel 5W could do it but the 0W and regular 5W and 10W would not be able to IMO. Neither would RedLine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back