Synth or Mineral

I'm not convinced for the arguement of usuing synth.oil in an older design engine.I'm about to fit a new ZZ4 into my 85 Transam and GM recommend 10W30 SG.What is the SG bit? Should I use a different oil for the running in period? What would be the best oil thereafter,bearing in mind I will be changing the oil and filter every 3000miles thanks PM

SG is just an old prefix designation . The ZZ4 crate motor does great with Pennzoil 10/30 and 10/40 even when occasionaly dragraced .

quote:
Originally posted by powermite: -*-* Should I use a different oil for the running in period? What would be the best oil thereafter,bearing in mind I will be changing the oil and filter every 3000miles thanks PM
Me, unless some one can show me better. I would use dino, and after several drains short OCI's I'd wait til my wear came to a level field Then I'd move to a Syn. So, amybe 800mi-1K, 1.5K, then 2.5K, then 3.5K then maybe stay here 3.5-4K until ready to change. You can mix it up. Some people believe change 500Miles. Others at the first 50-100 miles. If you are concerned for your oil, you need to be concerned for the other fluids like Diff/Tranny

powermite

T56 6 speed Tranny will have Castrol DexIII Rear axle has Amsol supplied by Baer Racing when i fitted their big brake kit. thanks for all your advice PM