Syntec 0-30 is "Made in Germany"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found that the NEW bottles of Syntec in only the 0-30 grade are labelled as "Made in Germany" for Castrol N.A. Found that was interesting. It's also listed as being ACEA A1/B1/A3/B3/A4/B4 and M-B 229.1 and 229.3, BMW Long-Life 01, VW 505 and Porsche approved.

The stuff smells slightly different than the other grades of Syntec and seems "green" in color. Is this a different beast altogether from the other Syntecs?

I'd say you've looked at (and sniffed) the first PAO/ester based Castrol Syntec to be sold in North America in 5 years!
shocked.gif

Where did you find it and how much was it?

[ February 02, 2003, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: G-Man II ]

Found at a local newly opened Wal-Mart in Toronto. Why do you think it's PAO based?

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Found at a local newly opened Wal-Mart in Toronto. Why do you think it's PAO based?

Because the Castrol synthetics made in Germany are PAO based. Plus, from what I've read elsewhere, it's virtually impossible to make a 0wXX oil from a Group III base oil, the one exception being a wax isomerate like Shell's XHVI or ExxonMobil's ExxSyn.

quote:

Interesting! Which Walmart? How much $$$? I notice the price of all oils up here are going up up and up lately. I was at Canadian Tire yesterday and noticed they now charge almost $8 a liter for Mobil 1!

At Sherway Gardens behind Home Depot (Queensway and 427). Same price as the others 6.66/L I believe.

It was just behind the standard bottles of 0-30 with the yellow snowflake that are labelled the same as the other grades. Wonder why the switch? Must be some expense to import the oil from Germany. Which German cars require a 0-30??

quote:

Which German cars require a 0-30??

All VW and Audi cars are coming from the factory with 0w30, and according to a Castrol press release I read, Castrol was the one who developed the oil for them. Castrol and VW were also the leaders in getting the new A5 rating established by the ACEA.

Maybe that's why the other bottles of Castrol say "made in USA from domestic and foreign/imported ingredients"...

Euro castrol oils are PAO while NA Syntec is group III. Castrol even offers PAO makeup oil for the extended 10k miles that all Euro car makers reccomend. they even make 10W-60 which is sold as BMW oil .

quote:

Originally posted by scirocco16V:
Euro castrol oils are PAO while NA Syntec is group III. Castrol even offers PAO makeup oil for the extended 10k miles that all Euro car makers reccomend. they even make 10W-60 which is sold as BMW oil .

They make a 10w60 that is sold as plain Castrol, too. Castrol Formula RS 10w60.

The 10-60 is NOT BMW oil. The 5-30 is. The 10-60 is the RS and it is "Made in U.K./ECU".

quote:

The 10-60 is NOT BMW oil. The 5-30 is. The 10-60 is the RS and it is "Made in U.K./ECU".

Yeah, but the 10w60 is what BMW recommends for the M3 and they import that oil to the US for use in those engines.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
All VW and Audi cars are coming from the factory with 0w30, and according to a Castrol press release I read, Castrol was the one who developed the oil for them.

VW has been recommending 5w40 oils in North America for a few years. I wonder if this oil is on the thick end of 0w30?

quote:

Syntec in 0-30 grade It's also listed as being ACEA A1/B1/A3/B3/A4/B4 and M-B 229.1 and 229.3, BMW Long-Life 01, VW 505 and Porsche approved.

A 0W-30 that meets the A3/B3 is surprising not to mention all the other grades that usually only a xW-40+ weight passes. It probably the 0w-50 repackaged to appeal to the US consumer. :>)

FWIW the Syntec 0/30 has been available at Autozones for awhile now,,,4.99 per quart.

Smells sweet huh? I would like to know if the new Syntec 5/40 smells like that. Has anyone seen the 5/40 yet?

Patman, I never paid much attention to the Syntec but in Peterborough Mobil 1 is 6.99 at Can Tire, and was 6.35 but now 6.64 at Walmart (has a we are the best price we checked sticker, meaning they saw the spread was 60 cents and they narrowed to 30 between them a CT) The jugs at Walmart are the same as the litre price times 4 and I have not seen 5 litres in 6 months. BTW they just about moved all the Tri Syn out now and have %95 Super Syn in Walmart anyways.

Would this group 4 Syntec always be available or did just a few cases end up in this one store?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back