Synpower vs Syntec

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first oil change is quickly approaching for my new VW GLI. I believe that I have decided to go with either Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 or Castrol Syntec 5w-40. I have also decided to run 5k mile OCI instead of the 10k mile intervals recommended due to mainly city driving. So what does my fellow Bitgoers have to say? FYI The car has the new FSI 2.0 turbo engine.

I think It's a smart move to choose a synthetic for that turbo- I'd even go as far as to recomend a synthetic HDEO. Since you're already planning on 5w40- I was thinking, Delvac/T&SUV, Rotella syn 5w40, or other variant of syn HDEO...

When I think of turbos, I think of diesels, which are almost all turbos. When I think diesel, and turbo, I think HDEO, but even a gasoline engine with a turbo, will benifit from the HDEO just as the turbo-diesels will.

The more I read on here, the more I realize, that engine life, and performance, is directly linked to engine cleanliness. I've proved it through personal experience with ARX. An apropriot choice in oil and interval to begin with, extends cleanliness over the years.

About that FSI engine, how do you get away with less than 95 (US) Octane fuel? The FSI engine requires 98 Octane ("Euro" Octane/ROZ).

Warranty constraints are that he needs a VW 502 oil. It would be interesting to use Mobil 1 0w-40 to see if the wear metals are high in a new engine that does not have the issue of metallic particles suspended in old deposits. Anyway, starting from scratch, I'd use BMW 0w-40 aka Castrol Formula RS, it's VW 502/503.01. Syntec 5w-40 is meh, on of the last oils I'd use.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
About that FSI engine, how do you get away with less than 95 (US) Octane fuel? The FSI engine requires 98 Octane ("Euro" Octane/ROZ).

The 2.0 T in the US doesn't actually have fuel stratified injection.

quote:

Originally posted by BlueWorld:

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

The 2.0 T in the US doesn't actually have fuel stratified injection.

Then why does my engine have FSI Turbo written on top?

quote:

Then why does my engine have FSI Turbo written on top?

So does my A3, but I don't have stratified injection either. Direct injection, yes.

The stratified version of direct injection isn't in any turbo versions of this engine in the US or Europe. We have neither the 'lean burn' ECU programming, nor the specially shaped piston heads.

Lean burn stratified injection requires an extra catalyzer that would be destoyed by US high sulfur gas, and an octane rating you just can't find at most pumps.

Just wanted to say that what BlueWorld said above is correct.
To original poster, both those oils are fine but I'd pick German Castrol 0W-30 (Green or Gold) over those 2 oils. It will keep the engine a little more squeaky clean inside than the other 2 oils due to the nature of its base stocks and it will slightly lessen the turbo lag.

quote:

i believe 98 RON is usually equivalent to the 92-93 pump ratings (RON + MON / 2).

-michael

I love both of these, but since the Synpower is NOT available in Canada in this grade, I'm stuck with BC.

I'd love a comparison/commentary on the 2 though....

Nobody here seems to have tried the new, made-in-America, Syntec 5W-40. Can't call it BC anymore! I hope someone does try it and does both a VOA and UOA. I have high hopes for it based on the direction Castrol's oils sold in N. America are going.

Well, IIRC, the 2.0T can also use a 505.01 approved oil, so that broadens your choices a bit as well. I'd use the Amsoil 5w-40, Synpower 5w-30, or Mobil 1 0w-40 in that order.

The Amsoil 5w-40 can easily last 10K even with city driving, because of its robust composition. It'll be reformulated in about a month or so to meet the 505.01 specs, so I expect it to be even better.

That reminds me... I noticed my work got in the first case of 5w40 Syntec I've seen come in on the weekly truck - but I know we've occasionally special ordered it in the past. Also noticed that most of the cases of US Syntec we've recieved recently have contained funny-looking bottles along with a note that explains that the packaging facility was affected by Katrina, and says that the oil is unaffected. People are going to be pestering me about that for a while.

quote:

So which oil?

Cool, I get to say it twice: German Castrol 0W-30. I briefly explained why above.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back