Synpower 5w40 at WalMart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it looks like my local wal-mart is now stocking 5w40 MST Synpower and 0w40 Mobil 1! Sweet.

synpower5w401.png

synpower5w402.jpg

Did you catch the price? I know Napa sells this stuff for $7.49 a quart. They new SN MST is really thick now. It has a cst @100c of 14.5 now, up from around 13.4.

I see that it meets the VW, BMW and Porsche specs.
Wouldn't it be nice for all those European car owners if Wally started carry this oil in the 5 quart jugs for $24 (like the other weights).
What does MST stand for?

Originally Posted By: pbm
Wouldn't it be nice for all those European car owners if Wally started carry this oil in the 5 quart jugs for $24 (like the other weights).
What does MST stand for?

Mid SAPs Technology

That means that it uses a reduced sulfated ash, phosphorus and sulfur formula.

You lucky dog!! This is kind of their European spec'd diesel passenger car oil. Though it can be used elsewhere. This carries the elusive VW 505.01 spec that my father in law's VW TDI car requires. He gets bent over at the dealer buying the special Castrol Syntec oil, which is nothing to write home about imo. I wish my WM carried this stuff, as I do his oil changes for him and this is a really fantastic oil that I'd love to buy so conveniently and cheaply at my local WM. Love all the specs this oil carries!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shpankey
You lucky dog!! This is kind of their European spec'd diesel passenger car oil. Though it can be used elsewhere. This carries the elusive VW 505.01 spec that my father in law's VW TDI car requires. He gets bent over at the dealer buying the special Castrol Syntec oil, which is nothing to write home about imo. I wish my WM carried this stuff, as I do his oil changes for him and this is a really fantastic oil that I'd love to buy so conveniently and cheaply at my local WM. Love all the specs this oil carries!

API CI-4+ or CJ-4 5w40 in your father's PD TDI and call it a day. 505.01 in PDs is so 2004 or 2005
grin2.gif

Not sure myself as I haven't looked, but he told me his dealer told him the 505.01 was required to keep it in warranty. Is this not the case? If so he'd be happy to know that as he's been having to buy the Castrol 505.01 stuff at the dealer then brings it to me to change it for him.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Not sure myself as I haven't looked, but he told me his dealer told him the 505.01 was required to keep it in warranty. Is this not the case? If so he'd be happy to know that as he's been having to buy the Castrol 505.01 stuff at the dealer then brings it to me to change it for him.

If still under warranty, then yes. Warranty is 5 years or 60K miles, whichever comes first. Unless he has an extended one.

Originally Posted By: rshunter
Originally Posted By: pbm
What does MST stand for?

Mid SAPs Technology

That means that it uses a reduced sulfated ash, phosphorus and sulfur formula.

And therefore the TBN is only 7. Most german car mfg (BMW and Mercedes at least) advise against the use of such oils in their gasoline engines in the US as it can't handle extended OCIs very well. It's OK for diesel engines though.

Personally, I'd rather use M1 0w-40 than this.

Quote:
Does motor oil have an expiration date? How long is it generally good for?

Valvoline motor oil does not have a documented expiration date. Under optimal conditions, the product is stable for an extended period of time and can be used as long as the American Petroleum Institute (API) rating on the label continues to meet or exceed the requirements listed in your owner's manual. If the rating is still current, shake the container before use to blend any additives that may have settled.

http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/motor-oil/general-motor-oil/

I was looking at the pdf just now and they have two 5W40`s,MST for diesels and HTS for gasoline engines.

How does Synpower 5W40 compare to Mobil 1 HM 10W40?

Synpower 5w40 MST

40cst / 76
100cst / 13.1
Pour Point / -42C
Flash Point / 230C
Vis Index / 175

Mobil 1 HM 10w40

40cst / 98
100cst / 14.7
Pour Point / -39C
Flash Point / 240C
Vis Index / 156