SynLube thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the weekend I got a request to include SynLube in my oil study.

After reviewing the site I decided I probably didn't want to use that oil in my LS1 (the car calls for 5w30, this stuff is 5w50!) and my opinion was reinforced when I found the old thread on this board, wherein MolaKule pointed out that SynLube has PTFE in it. I think PTFE is a bad idea in an oil additive so I don't know why I'd want it in my regular oil.

But that thread is 8 months old now, so I thought I'd go fishing for any current thoughts or technical updates on SynLube.

Cheers, 3MP

I say go for it. I don't see how it could be a bad idea.
With the millions of bottles of PTFE/graphite/snakeoil additives that have been sold, I doubt that anyone could blame PTFE for engine failure.

PTFE belongs on skillets not engines.

Seems like someone on the site gave us a very detailed explanation on why PTFE ,a solid, could not plate the metal inside an engine. The only thing it could do is plug the filter.

quote:

Originally posted by Neil Womack:
PTFE belongs on skillets not engines.

Seems like someone on the site gave us a very detailed explanation on why PTFE ,a solid, could not plate the metal inside an engine. The only thing it could do is plug the filter.

I copied this post made by Terry Dyson on the subject of Slick 50 and PTFE:

quote:

Teflon(PTFE) of other brand names of the same solid lubricant pellets
are effective at sliding friction lubrication if you can get the PTFE to
adhere to the point of contact.

What Slick 50 does is inhibits sound because of its density, then you
think (placebo) that the engine is running more smoothly. IF the pellets
are not machined small enough they have an affinity to "stack or pool"
at oil journal entry points and block off up to 50% of the lower area of
the journal, disrupting oil flow rate and causing localized heating.
This can starve a critical area of lubrication and because of localized
heating create a temprorary increase in performance ( thinner oil
sheared or thinned by heat) until the oil starved component is
destroyed.

Finally the solids have an affinity at resting in the oil pan/sump and
collecting and holding sludge precursers that eventually collect into
full blown black sludge creating more problems.

offtopic.gif
Right before I left for work there was a commercial for Clorox Teflon cleaner.They claim it will keep dirt from sticking to your counter tops and toilet
wink.gif
What will they think of next

I keep getting pestered about SynLube.

If we were to set aside the presence of PTFE, the other active ingredients are graphite and molybdenum disulfide. Thoughts on these?

The oil is only availabe in a 5W50 formula. Why would they do this? Isn't running a 50 weight in a car spec'd out for a 5W30 a bad idea?

Does anyone know what kind of base oil they are using?

Has anyone ever found a technical paper or a study discussing SynLube at *all*? SAE does not have any data on SynLube or Miro Kefurt. Nothing in the first 130 hits on Google proved useful. There is no data on this oil anywhere that I can find. Very mysterious.

Cheers, 3MP

3MP, Why not just take a show of hands? If you can see even a small number of hands of users of Synlube, then consider it. Otherwise, focus the study on those oils most likely to ever be used.

Get over this viscosity mania!! I've run 25W70 for nearly 2 yrs in a Mazda that in the U.S would mandate 5W30. It runs as new. 5W50 is Mobil 1 here and it's everywhere, and I mean everywhere. CAFE mandates 30W in an LS1 in the U.S nothing else. If 50W can harm your engine why arn't the roads here littered with deaduns???????.

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
3MP, Why not just take a show of hands? If you can see even a small number of hands of users of Synlube, then consider it. Otherwise, focus the study on those oils most likely to ever be used.

I agree, it's best to keep the study to the more common oils that most LS1 owners are going to run. The one uncommon oil (at least to people other than here) which I'd love you to try out if you're not sick of the study in a few years, is Schaeffer Supreme. I'd love to see your study prove to the LS1 community that this oil can go up against the best of the best and show equal or better wear numbers, and prove that it can handle 10k intervals.

I fully agree with Patman's above post about Schaeffer's PAO Blends. I'm currently running their 10W-30 in my LS1 and it seems to like it soo far, we'll find out when it's time to analyze it.

I probably wouldn't actually test SynLube just because of the costs involved, but now I'm genuinely curious about it.

According to one e-mail I got, which claimed to quote Miro Kefurt, the PTFE's main role is to reduce engine noise. So why include it at all, considering its stigma? Would SynLube seem as bad if it lacked PTFE?

And why 5W50 when so many cars require 30-wt oil? What is the downside to running a 50-wt synthetic in an engine designed for a 30-wt?

Schaeffer's, we'll see if I can still stand the testing, and still get donors.

Cheers, 3MP

There's no way I'd put Synlube in my engine. Like others have said, stick with more "traditional" oils that don't have questionable additives in them.

I for one would like to see you test the German Syntec 0w30. I may even be willing to foot the bill for the oil. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back