Synlube oil info, on Fox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It have been so quiet here for such a long time.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gse25lO1uB8

The people who work in the news room actually used it for over 5 years before they were willing to produce an information spot on their CAR CONNECTION.
And the people show in it are actual customers, not hired actors.

good synthetics wont break down.... we already know that. its the other additives that suck balls and do break down.

the other issue is contaminant accumulation. unless there is an expensive inline filtering system to remove all the bad stuff, its not wise to just keep re-circ'ing the junk. a gasoline engine is not a sealed engine, so dirt & contaminants are a issue that is only dealt with by changing the oil. i guess one could re-use the oil if it were properly filtered and the VI paks and what-not added back in. but F, its 1000 times easier and less expensive to just buy new off-the-shelf oil and drive your car to that 300k mile mark..... i think syn-lube is stupid (its a novel "green" idea, etc).

Originally Posted By: EMPIRE
good synthetics wont break down.... we already know that. its the other additives that suck balls and do break down.

the other issue is contaminant accumulation. unless there is an expensive inline filtering system to remove all the bad stuff, its not wise to just keep re-circ'ing the junk. a gasoline engine is not a sealed engine, so dirt & contaminants are a issue that is only dealt with by changing the oil. i guess one could re-use the oil if it were properly filtered and the VI paks and what-not added back in. but F, its 1000 times easier and less expensive to just buy new off-the-shelf oil and drive your car to that 300k mile mark..... i think syn-lube is stupid (its a novel "green" idea, etc).

Yup! Second that!

No matter how much you try to pursuade us with synlube, you just can't get it through our heads w/o at least resolving the fundamentals (and EMPIRE hits the nail in the head).

19.gif

What kind of oil filter do they use for 150,000 miles is it a 55 gallon drum type oil filter.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I might run Amsoil for that long with UOA and with a bypass.

Are you sure you watched the video? They are saying that Synlube is good for 100,000 miles.

Which Amsoil product would you run that long?

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Are you sure you watched the video? They are saying that Synlube is good for 100,000 miles.

I thought I saw 150,000 miles on the bottle.

All synthetic base oils used in motor oils chemically change (in bad ways). There is no magic bullet base oil immune to it. Oxidation, nitration, hydrolysis, and probably many other reactions happen to all of them...just at different rates.

Originally Posted By: JAG
All synthetic base oils used in motor oils chemically change (in bad ways). There is no magic bullet base oil immune to it. Oxidation, nitration, hydrolysis, and probably many other reactions happen to all of them...just at different rates.

In other words, not all synthetic oils are the same.

That's thinking with yer dipstick.

(sorry...had to
grin2.gif
)

Can any of you then tell me why the cars they used on Fox channel without oilchange(used Synlube), didn't get any oil-related problems during the 5 year testing period?

I would really like to know why this oil is so bad, especially since I have had it in my engine two years and 3 months now. And 42000 miles, as well.
When will it ruin my engine?
I guess it is a bad thing the small increase in MPG, too?

About oilfilters, it is OK to chhange it every 25000 miles, unless you use a microglass filter.
If using a microglass filter, you can go 100000 miles without changing it.

Quote:
I have had it in my engine two years and 3 months now. And 42000 miles, as well.

Do a UOA.

And the link had no useful information. "Smoother" this, "better" that. 3MPG improvement on a truck???? The auto industry would KILL for that.

Last edited:

Perfectly said!

I am tempted to do a UOA, but doing it so early, is probably a waste of money. I am thinking of going at least 5 years before I do it. Unless strange sounds from the engine and increased oilconsumption appears.
A couple of years ago, I mentioned how it made the hydraulic valve lifters quiet(tried to fix it with two full treatments of Auto-Rx, but no change. I even drove some 5-6000 miles with mineral oil after that, just to be sure).
The lifters are still quiet.

I watched the video twice. I did not find any customer state a mileage on motor oil. The 114K mile customer was describing ATM. Without seeing data, I will accept that the microsolids in SynLube may actually work - or may not. However, I don't think that I will ever find myself looking to a FOX station as a source of dependable information.

This is just a FOX affiliate and I must have missed the part were Fox people actually use the product.

Not sure why people are thinking this is a Fox endorsement(?).

I'll take Fox over CNN, any day, but that's an monkey of a different stripe.

Originally Posted By: toyotaguy
I don't watch either of them. Go online to filter through the news and find what is relevant.

+1 I'm sick of all the mainstream media networks.

One guy in the video uses the Syn-Lube ATF fluid. My new car specifies synthetic ATF and the owners manual does not have an ATF change interval (only inspection of fluid level).

As others said, it was a local news channel. Nothing to do with Fox Network.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Yes I watched the vid......... There are a fair number of people running Amsoil for up to and over 100K out there with a bypass filter.

I don't know if I would on a car under warranty though......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back