Synergyn/Redline blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on what I've read here I'm considering trying a 80/20 or 60/40 mix of Synergyn 3w-30/Redline 5w-30.

OCI's will be no more than 5k but short of bringing it to the track I believe I'm "hard" on my car and I'd like to extract maximum reliable performance. (the GC I'm running now feels a tad thick).

I like the moly in RL (and I've heard Honda motors do as well) but I've also heard that RL can be tough on Honda bearings.

Would I be better served by choosing one of the above and sticking to it? Something tells me I'm taking more of a risk than it's worth.

IMHO I wouldn't mix these oils. Both are excellent oils on their own. No need to play chemist. You may even downgrade performance/protection by doing so. You didn't specify engine type or warranty status but unless it's spec'd for 5W20 the GC 0W30 usually runs well in most all applications where 5/10W30 is required and is an excellent oil. If you are looking for something thinner you might consider something in the M1 EP or Amsoil lineup.

[ May 24, 2005, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: sully ]

What is the factory recommendation? Didn't notice this was your first post, welcome to BITOG.
wink.gif

I'm not one to be against mixing but I don't see a good gain/risk compromise here. Synergyn is a well additised oil with a fair amount of ester, moly, and ZDP already in the mix. I personally feel that Red Line is a good add for a variety of non-ester oils, especially GF-4s. Synergyn is not one of those and it's chemistry isn't really compromised by price. I don't think mixing will clash here but you will probably get better results with just the synergyn.

Car is still under warranty, and actually that is something that I did not really consider when narrowing down my selection of oil. So much information contained here that I guess I overlooked that criteria.

It's a 2.0 4cyl (K20z1 in an rsx-s) that spends most of it's time spinning toward the red, with frequent short trips. Factory recommendation is 5w-30, my first synthetic fill was M1 and while it seemed to rev more freely it also consumed a fair amount, hence the switch to GC.

Unfortunately I pulled the factory fill out prematurely (before I knew of elevated moly levels) and would like to get back to something containing a fair amount. The motor already has 10k on it so it's probably too late to make a difference but I figure it can't hurt.

I think I may go with Synergyn 3w-30, Amsoil filter unless you think something else might be better suited for less than $10/quart.

Thanks for the welcome
grin.gif
, never thought I would become so interested in something like motor oil but it has become quite an obsession as of late.

quote:

My Acura loves Redline, as does my Element. Definitely the oil for any Honda product.

Have you done any UOA's? I have 12 quarts of RL 5w-20. Probably should have gone with that.

The chemists that formulate these oils do this all day for a living. I wouldn't go messing with this stuff. I think it's a bad idea.

I haven't done any UOA's, but the engines run so smooth with the Redline that I don't see a reason to go with other oils. Plus, the engines run quieter and cleaner with RL. Mobil 1 0W-20 didn't even come close to the results I've had with RL in these engines.

quote:

Mobil 1 0W-20 didn't even come close to the results I've had with RL in these engines.

I just might have to give it a shot. I don't want to keeps switching though. How many miles are you putting on the RL? I want it to last at least 10,000 miles, something M1/Amsoil can easily do.

In the Element, RL easily does 7000 miles, with no consumption. Haven't tried that much mileage on the Acura, but I see no reason why it wouldn't hold up.

quote:

In the Element, RL easily does 7000 miles, with no consumption. Haven't tried that much mileage on the Acura, but I see no reason why it wouldn't hold up.

Agree. RL can go further then most think in a well maintained engine. Another guy over at Acurazine said RL 5w-20 in his TSX was the smoothest of all the oils. RL clearly has the lowest coefficient of friction among all oils with all that Moly and POE.

How many miles do you have on the Element and do you see sustained highway speeds of 80mph? Reason I ask is because I do see high sustained speeds as most of my miles are highway. 80 + mph.

The Element sees 40+ mile commutes to work everyday, at highway speeds. The 2.4L likes RL very much. The V6 in the Acura is almost silent when filled with RL. When using M1, the valve-train makes quite a racket.

I have an 84 Civic with a uoa at 375k using Red Line from the start with a couple of 5k intervals of M1 before switching back. The head has never been off and it passes Calif smog.

Aluminum 3
Chromium 1
Iron 8
Copper 7
Lead 6
Tin 1
Molybdenum 415
Niclel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 10
Boron 29
Silicon 7
Sodium 22
Calcium 2423
Magnesium 10
Phosphorus 1002
Zink 1016
Barium 0
TBN 4.5

There was 6,105 miles on the oil.

So this Honda likes Red Line and Southern California weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back