Synergyn LTS, LT4 stroker, 2500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
exposition:

Previous UOA

this fill is the LTS 3W-30. usual usage for this car, auto-x, romps, etc, but more commuting than normal. K&N oil filter, paper air filter, etc.

code:

Al 3

Cr 1

Fe 33

Cu 55

Pb 27

Sn 1

Mo 76

Mn 1

K 1

B 84

Si 85

Na 1

Ca 3196

Mg 7

P 1141

Zn 1296

SUS 100C 67.5

flash 405

fuel
insolubles 0.3%

TBN 6.2

blackstone's comments: "we found copper to be high in this sample... we don't know if this could be related to the new rod bearings, or possibly from an additive you may be using. Lead was a little above average, likely due to wear-in from the new bearings..."

and so forth... basically, i think something's wrong. it runs well, but the series of events in its early life seem to have hurt more than was fixable via a rod bearing swap. the iron seems way high, and the only place i can think of that might be throwing off copper is the main thrust bearing. the lead seems too high even for new bearings, too.

i don't have time to pull the engine now and have my builder go through it, so i'll keep using/racing it until i do have time.

i put the last 7qts i had of schaeffer's #700 in it after this drain.

any comments/inputs appreciated, thanks.

-michael

Is the PCV disabled ? If so , are the breathers filtered ?

Maybe some Si from new sealant , some being sucked in . Looks abrasive though .

Hey , just curious how the crank looked when it was apart and if you cleaned the oil cooler cooler lines .

Those oil pans w/ trap doors hold stuff thats hard to clean out entirely unless vatted

i can't find a point of entry. the air filter is actually sealed with RTV, since i thought i saw a small gap when i put it in. the inlet hose is clean, fwiw. the TB also looks very clean.

on the other hand, i can't see how it's just from silicone sealer, since i only put one dab in each corner when the pan went back on. (and nothing else came apart since the previous uoa.)

the crank looked perfect, as if it had never run. also, i did measure the thrust, and it was only .005", so not as if the thrust bearing was worn at that point.

i did clean the pan very thoroughly, in a parts washer. fwiw, also, there was no debris or metal in it when i took the pan off.

the pcv system is all intact, no mods at all. but i might try putting an inline filter to the breather hose, just in case there's a leak at the hose to valve cover joint (it looks a bit oily there).

thanks much for the inputs!

-michael

Your Si is insane. Blackstone said Pb was a little above average ....I beg to differ with that assesment.
rolleyes.gif

Was this engine rebuilt recently.....if so when?
If this is the 2nd or 3rd OCI after the rebuild, your numbers should've looked much better. You might want to use lighter fluid or something to find your air leak. Silicone gaskets don't cause wear metals.

The move to #700 was a good one in my opinion and I would continue using it or any other good HDEO.......at least for now.

i agree that blackstone's comments were too kind.

what's with the relationship of lead to tin? i can't remember now if bearings have tin in them or not. (in my case the rod bearings are clevite H, and mains federal mogul.) but if they do, then the ratio is screwy for it to be bearing wear.

i'll have to look more closely for a leak...

thanks.

-michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back