Synergyn LTS 3w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Synthetic oil is $5.85 per quart . Once one of their Racing Oils it has now been tweeked and relegated back down to what they call a High Performance Oil with a SL/CI-4 rating .

This is one fine motor oil with some groovy basestocks made in Durant Oklahoma and is now available world wide . The Chief Chemist worked for Amsoil in the past .

Here's the Synergyn data sheet Synergyn

Moly 116
Boron 153
Magnesium 15
Calcium 3687
Phosphorus 1608
Zinc 1701
Silicone 8

Vi 40c 72.4
Vi 100c 11.3
VI Index 148
TAN 2.63
TBN 9.74

[ February 05, 2004, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Good work Motorbike. This oil is formulated very similarly to M1R. Only this oil is a bit thicker. Looks nice. Is it PAO or Ester based?

This looks like the additive chemistry of the Synergyn 0w-20 I used. The only real complaint I had about that stuff is that the TBN dropped too fast, and it was $10.00/qt when I bought it. I would expect that if you ran this oil several times in a row, it would perform significantly better. I certainly like the add pack much more than any API licensed formulation, including Mobil 1 and the GC, 0w-30. The low VI probably means there is very little polymeric thickener in this stuff ....

This oil should be good for 7,000-10,000 miles, depending on driving conditions and state of engine tune ....It's good to see some honest competiton out there - I get tired of beating up on the ExxonMobil guys ...
wink.gif

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/dixie_synthetics

quote:

The Chief Chemist worked for Amsoil in the past

When did he leave? You can tell that this oil, like M1R/RL, are more performance driven in terms of formulation. TBN could be higher though. Isn't this the chemist that was at Amsoil when they were "cutting edge" in oil formulation?
smile.gif

[ February 05, 2004, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Buster ,
I think the Chemist has been there since the early 90's .

I don't want to tell too much about those guys oils out of courtesy just that the 3w-30 uses less of a particular basestock than the 0w-20 racing oil hence the price difference but it's primarily an Ester oil . Little if any smell difference though as this stuff is potent !
smile.gif

101.00 a case shipped for the 20wt ...70.20 a case shipped for the 3w-30 and 5w-30 . Mobils 5 quart jugs are 24 bucks or so now before taxes , if this oil was in a jug it would be 29.25 no taxes... I'll take the Synergyn and thank Walmart for their generous return policy
smile.gif

This oil surely is compatible with the Mobil SS and might just put that solvency in it that is lacking if one wanted to spike a bit .

[ February 06, 2004, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Thanks for this post, seriously. These oils look great. I agree about the compatiblity/solvency issue. These guy's are no joke thats for sure. One other question, are most of their oils just for racing apps and not street use? If I read it right, the 3w-30 is the oil that has been modified for street use.

Buster your welcome and your right , it is some serious oil compared to most of whats available theses days for street cars of all types .

Basically what they did was add Moly to the 3w-30 and higher wts . Early on only the 0w-20 used moly . They all still are used as race oils by many in Nascar , the Liquid Quarter Mile and Prostock and lower classes in NHRA/IHRA and Ralley Racing ect but are fully streetable . They run the 5w-30 out to 12-15k in 350 Chevy's .

The bottle labels reflect the term Performance Oil for Gasoline and Diesel Engines and the website is a bit dated in that respect.

Their 4 , 8 and 16wts here Race are used in 1/4 mile and qualifying in certain racing. The SJ/CH-4 rated 20wt " all other streetable wts other than the 20wt are SL/CI-4 " , well the same deal with it depending what weight the engine needs . They are running it out to 10k though .

Clickey me for the 20wt

FWIW , I am preparing to use the 0w-20 in my new 2004 Toyota Pu and as the miles accumulate I'll switch it to the 3w-30 . My Wife has Her eyes on the new 05 Mustang V8. If she wins
smile.gif
and she always does, it will get the 0w-20 as well .

[ February 06, 2004, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Cool, thanks man. I'd probably give this stuff a shot if I had a car that deserved it. Like a C5.
wink.gif
One day...one day...
rolleyes.gif

This oil is SL with 1608ppm phosphorus?

As I recall, the Synergyn 0w-20 UOA that TooSlick posted showed more wear metals than the plain Jane XL7500 5w-20 in his Toyota Tacoma 2.4L. I can't find that report now.
mad.gif

I too, will try the Synergyn 0w-20, but I doubt that it will outperform the Mobil1 0w-20 I've been running. There's not that much room for improvement.

Here is the Synergyn analysis you looked for although incomplete clickey . Come to find out later in the thread the Amsoil was the PAO formula no longer available and not the current group III oil . Anyway , one analysis did not change my mind , I'm going to try the Synergyn 20wt in my 2.4 Toyota to see what it does for me and how I drive . I have a 7cSt synthetic in my Miata now and am spoiled by lightweight oils . No downsides yet but it sure might be too light for the Miata come summer not knowing the exact basestocks of the Torco . I'll change it out to avoid risk .

Yep , that Phos is up there allright but other primarily diesel oils with an SL designation are as well . The Redline 5w-40 , another non API oil has 1426ppm of phos here Redline 5w-40 .I guess since they are not API oils the designations can be very loosely interpited
smile.gif
dunno but even though there is winners and loosers in these various oils I much appreciate those that send in virgin samples . For example I would never have thought to go to a Saab dealer to buy 0w-30 at 17 bucks a jug and get near one year service out of it the very first run in my Mothers 4.6 Ford . I expect at least 12 months this interval out of the best oil I ever found for it .

This oil hobby is fun for me , and thats just what it is , a hobby as I'm not a pro in the Oil Industry nor do I profess to be . I have some knowledge of Race motors though albeit only 32 years of it
wink.gif

Stick another 400hp in that Honda engine though and you might find the Mobil 20wt lacking a bit . Thats one of the reasons for these purpose built oils and everyone don't need them . Mobil 0-30R comes to mind .

[ February 07, 2004, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Cool, thanks man. I'd probably give this stuff a shot if I had a car that deserved it. Like a C5.
wink.gif
One day...one day...
rolleyes.gif

They are selling new FRC's for 39k these days , a pretty good deal considering some other car pricing ....... hmmm a SUV or a Corvette ?
smile.gif

C5 Corvettes are dropping rapidly in price, if you buy a used 02 or 03 you can save a bundle over the price of a new one.

Given the choice of an SUV or a C5, I think you know what my decision would be.
grin.gif

Ahhh, thanks for the link and thanks for refreshing my memory, Motorbike. I had forgotten that TooSlick appended the Synergyn UOA to his Amsoil UOA and that's why I couldn't find it. I had also forgotten that the XL7500 was the PAO stuff.

I'm glad to hear that you're trying the Synergyn 0w-20 in your Toyota 2.4 engine. I'd love to see another report that would confirm or contradict TooSlick's results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back