Synergyn + LC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my synergyn 5w30 and Im anxious to try it out in my wrx.

Has anyone used this oil with LC yet? Do you guys think this robust oil would benefit from the addition of LC, or should I save it for the other cars?

Did you look at the 5W20 Synergyn oil, or were you set on the 5W30. My wife drives an 00 Mazda with Auto, but it does get alot of spirited use. I am using Red Line 5W30 but will be due for a change in a month. I am looking at the 5W20 Synergyn or the Royal Purple 5W30. I would have to order either one so I have time yet before my oil change is due.

smile.gif

I dont think I want to go lower than a 30 wt since my manual doesnt mention a 20 wt at all.
It was between the 3w30 or the 5w30, and I went with the 5w because its a little thicker (supposedly) at 100c.

They (subaru) reccomend 5w30 but say 10w30 and 10w40 is ok, and then it says in extreme heat up to a 20w50 is ok.

They only way I would add LC to Redline,Motul or Synergen is if I was going for extended drains. I think that this would be the only bennifit. Most oil that have a higher then average ester content also have great solvency so only the anti-oxidative qualitys of LC would be noticed.

Thanks for the input guys. I just put the synergyn in (with no LC), it does have a very strong smell, it stayed with me right through a shower.

Motorbike; what do you think is a good first oci for synergyn? 5k miles? I have done 2 7k mile ocis of amsoil my last two changes.

quote:

Originally posted by Santo Fontana:

Motorbike; what do you think is a good first oci for synergyn? 5k miles? I have done 2 7k mile ocis of amsoil my last two changes.

I think it depends if driving style changes , motor gets on boost more often ect but all else equal if it were mine based on the other report I'd take it to 7500 this time of year if the visual and other aspects look good I would not bother with a UOA because of initial moly uptake ect of this new oil type . Next run will be better .

I have the 3w-30 in my Wifes 3 quart Kia oil murderer
smile.gif
and it's lasting far longer than I'd ever imagined but all engines are different .

Some the intervals need be crept up on . You have lotsa experience.....I'd say let it be your guide
wink.gif

I could be wrong and this oil might benefit from the LC but I based my initial thoughts on my observations both visual and through a running analysis .

I quit using any fuel additives a couple months ago in this car and with this oil saw reduced FE and a visually cleaner cylinder head deck over the Mobil SS while using Lucas UCL .

There was a visual film forming after 20k miles or so that's not there anylonger ......all shiny aluminum again .

quote:

would just run your motor on Synergyn only and leave the doping for other oils that need it .

cheers.gif
I've seen a few Amsoil reports lately well over 10k miles that didn't need LC. How far do you plan on running this oil? Synergyn is a nice choice.
smile.gif

[ May 30, 2004, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
There was a visual film forming after 20k miles or so that's not there anylonger ......all shiny aluminum again .

That is what I like to hear!

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
cheers.gif
I've seen a few Amsoil reports lately well over 10k miles that didn't need LC. How far do you plan on running this oil? Synergyn is a nice choice.
smile.gif

I will probably stick with 7-8k ocis.

So far I really like the feel of this oil in my engine.

You definitely don't need LC for 7-8k mile intervals using a high quality synthetic.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
You definitely don't need LC for 7-8k mile intervals using a high quality synthetic.
cheers.gif

I could probably do 7500k intervals on a good dino with no real problems.

I realize I dont need the LC, but I like to use it. Especially since I have seen some good things happen once I started using FP. I will post about that later once I get more data.

The reason why I asked the question in the first place is because it seems that Synergyn usually loses its TBN pretty quickly on the first run. I thought maybe LC could help it out with this. I probably wont see this problem anyway since my engine has had syns its whole life and burns almost no oil at 50k.

I didnt use any LC this time though, I might add some later if it looks/smells like the oil is deteriorating faster than Im used to (with amsoil). I probably wont get a UOA done on this first interval of Synergyn anyway.

50k motor with no oil consumption - for your application of 7-8k OCI - synergyn would be okay by itself but I would add about 4oz of LC halfway into the interval if you already have the LC on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back