Syn-Semi-syn Straw poll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont run it because I would rather know I have 100% syn and pay for it rather than getting 1% syn and paying nearly the same price. No manufacturer to my knowledge will give you a straight answer as to proprotions.

Dan

With the PepBoys coupons I can get M1 for $2.65 a quart.That is about what most semi-synthetics cost.Using this in my 05 Uplander. Stocked up on the Maxlife synthetic when AZ was clearancing it for $2 a quart for my 96 Blazer.After my basic edumacation here at BITOG I had already decided to switch to syn but being the frugal(tightwad) person I am those deals sealed it for me.By the way what's the difference between semi-synthetic and synthetic blend? A matter of semantics? Been waiting for a chance to use that word.

By the way what's the difference between semi-synthetic and synthetic blend? A matter of semantics?
Same Same

farrafan. Why do you buy synthetic oil instead of 1.50 dino?

100% synthetic because,
No sludge
Engine longivity
Less dependance on foriegn oil.
Less down time changing oil.
Less oil usage.

This thread seems to be going where i expected.
That is the vast majority of syn users do so to give their machines the best chance to perform at its best and/or stay performing for a long time.

quote:

Originally posted by salesrep:
By the way what's the difference between semi-synthetic and synthetic blend? A matter of semantics?
Same Same

farrafan. Why do you buy synthetic oil instead of 1.50 dino?

For a $1 or so more a quart that's only about $4.50 more an oil change.Probably overkill since my cars are driven very easily, mostly by my wife.Matter of econimcs basically since the deals on the Maxlife and M1 bring the price down to a point that makes them easy on the wallet of an almost poverty stricken state employee and there might be a little advantage in gas mileage and protection of the syn over dino. The emphasis on the word "might" since there is no real evidence that is the case.$4 will get you a meal at McDonalds.$5 will get the lunch buffet at the Golden Corral including all you can eat steak.Best comparison I could come up with.
grin.gif

Good read salesrep. Should have phrased that differently.Strike the "no real evidence" part and replace with " for every one that states they saw an increase of x% gas mileage when they swithched to synthetic, someone else contradicts that with their experience of seeing no gain".Same thing with wear. The UOA pages are full of reports showing low wear rates with dino and engines going forever on (insert your favorite deragatory term here) oils like Valvoline.I've just never been a real fan of semi-synthetics for the same reason several others have stated: why pay for something that nobody really knows what they are getting?
This is not anything against your product. I've never used it but it's obvious from the people on this forum that have it is a very good oil.

Hmmm, The cheapest price you'll find normal for Syn is around the $4 per quart mark.

The normal price for Blends are around $1.99

The Normal price for good Conv is $1.55

I go with the good Conv or Blends cause it's half price and I'd rather spend the $$ in Trending for UOAs than oil.

I'm happy with 4-5k OCIs and prob drive more in a month than most of the BITOG folks.

Owning outfits that offer EASY oil filter access and Fram Sure drains make Oil Changing soooo easy. I do look at filter locations BEFORE buying a car... (am I sick or what???)
smile.gif

The outfits I've owned before have and are still going well over 200k. I seem to sell them to friends or family members who like buying my "old" stuff cause we take care of them..

The Blends are .40 .50 cents more than conv oil. Syn is TWICE as much as the blend and almost 2.5 times as much as the conv...

If I was racing, drove in city most of the time or super cold then maybe syn.. But then, I'd just change sooner.

My 3.245 cents...

Take care, Bill
smile.gif

quote:

Good read salesrep. Should have phrased that differently.Strike the "no real evidence" part and replace with " for every one that states they saw an increase of x% gas mileage when they swithched to synthetic,

Calculated a 2-5% gain can be very difficult. Even with several engines let alone one.

Syn. is the manufacturer's recommendation in my VW

In the Expedition.....I use synthetic because it was on close-out at AZ & I got it cheap.

Converted the Aerostar to synthetic because its little engine tends to get pretty hot all wedged in under the cowl and because I thought it would hold up to short trips better than dino or blend.

Other that that I like blends because I think it gives an edge over a conventional dino. However, I do have a large stash of Maxlife, which while not sold as a blend, is supposed (according to MSDS) to have about 12-22 percent PAO in it.

quote:

Originally posted by salesrep:
Why do you run syn or syn-blend oil.
Performance?
Longevity?
Savings?

Value and performance. I am intrigued by the Schaffers for example but I am turned off by the dificulty in obtaining it. I am a clearance Isle oil buyer with an eye on performance oil for good prices. I am not all that brand loyal, I am loyoal to the content and performace and if a brand provides that at a good value they have my business.

syn-semi syn in the winter for start up ease and hopefully better wear characteristics, syn blend in summer maybe for cleanliness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back