Syn. or Mineral for auto in storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuk

For a car in storage, with only monthly starts, is it best to use synthetic or mineral oil? Will the synthetic stand up better to contaminants and fuel dilution, or is the use of synthetic just a waste of a good oil?

My options are:

Amsoil 5w-30 (ASL synthetic)
Castrol 0w-30 (German synthetic)
Penzoil 5w-30 (Purebase mineral)
Esso XD-3 15w-40 (HDEO mineral)

Thanks

For storage, such as boats, I'd use a HDEO. Their additive packages just can't be beat. As far as it being syn or dino, I don't think it would matter all that much since the issue here is storage and not wear.

Some people have made the point that an oil containing esters would be best. They have a "clinging" action that would better protect surfaces in the engine without oil pumping.

-T

But esters are hygroscopic.

The "cling" might not be that great if the film contains moisture.

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
Some people have made the point that an oil containing esters would be best. They have a "clinging" action that would better protect surfaces in the engine without oil pumping.

-T

Personally I could never justify syn for any little-driven ride, unless it was a classic or big-bucks vehicle of some sort. The benefits of syn aren't realized when an engine is only rarely started or road-driven. Syn has better cold weather qualities, but you'll only realize a benefit from same over a substantial number of cold weather starts, which evidently isn't the case for you.

Personally I'd use the least expensive name brand "SL" oil I could find, biased towards lighter weight since cold starts will outweight long drives in your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back