syn oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told today from a older guy i trust at az that he uses m1 syn in all his vehicles and that syn oil doesn't break down only gets dirty and that its fine to change the oil once a year no matter what.

Whats everyone think about that.

Wadedog;

Your question is one that has been fiercely debated on BITOG since 2002...do a search or two and you will find many threads stained by the blood of BITOG members on both sides of the debate.

I recommend that you lock yourself in a secure place, make some popcorn, stock up on beverages, and read on for the next 48-72 hours. Either that or log off and escape while you still can
smile.gif

All I can say is....if the old guy is so lazy as to run the same oil in his car for a year no matter what, he's using the best product for the job....but I still don't advise it.

I think you guys are right, i'm hooked on this site.
Today i started smelling the oil of every bottle as i poured it in my cars.
I feel like a oil junkie.
I'm thinking of growing my hair longer and comb into a ducktail with Rotella T , hmm 30 weight or 15x40.

wade - There is some truth to what you were told.
Synthetic oils don't break down as rapidly as their dino counterparts.
Many good synthetics are suitable for 15,000 miles, so a year is not unreasonable.
This reasoning is when the pendulum is way over to one side - somewhere in the middle is probably best.

It mostly depends on your driving style, too. A year's worth of 2 miles to this, 3 miles to that, 4 miles to the other thing will kill any oil. Longer trips, where moisture and fuel dilution have a chance to boil off, are much easier on the oil.

quote:

Originally posted by toocrazy2yoo:

quote:

I recommend that you lock yourself in a secure place, make some popcorn, stock up on beverages, and read on for the next 48-72 hours.

Bourbon too..

Helps make sense of it all.

My fine friend from the Synthetic side of the fence makes a good point about the Bourbon. We definately agree on that....
cheers.gif

offtopic.gif
By the way toocrazy, you got me thinking about going back to M1 after our exchange last week, so you may have a convert to add to your list shortly....

My local autozone looks to be staffed by the most recent prission escapees, the stores are filthy, and the parking lot has not been power washed in years. Their stock looks as if it has been merchandised by someone with no concept of retail or automotive repair. It's sad, as AutoZone started out as a really nice chain and has gone WAY down, at least here in the DFW area. The 4 or 5 stores i've been to here are excellent examples of how NOT to run a retail business.

Having said that, i would not trust my cars maintenence needs with advice from autozone employees. Some may be great but it's obvious to me the mgmt and/or ownership (at least in this area) could care less.

To answer your question, changing your oil once a year "no matter what" is not a good idea. Perhaps for some it may be an acceptable solution, but for the masses it's not a good idea.

ALL oils breakdown and have to be changed out.

A GOOD syn will last longer than a lousy syn or dino BUT GPIII oils will rival a syn for long life. So by a SL/SM run 7K oil change and don't worry about it.
Forget the $3-5 quarts stuff Not needed under most all conditions.
bruce

I'm still learning while reading all the posts.
I can't believe i never found this site before.
I like the idea of a oil that can stand abuse with short trips and be able to have oci of twice a year.
I don't know what dino oils i can use that will allow me to do this.
Any recomendations are appreciated.

quote:

Originally posted by wadedog:
I was told today from a older guy i trust at az that he uses m1 syn in all his vehicles and that syn oil doesn't break down only gets dirty and that its fine to change the oil once a year no matter what.

Whats everyone think about that.

Take it from a newbie who has just spent several HUNDRED hours of researching this very question, you will drive yourself nuts trying to answer it! And you will find no consensus here, either. There are two pretty firmly entrenched camps, neither of which budges much. It really boils down to synthetic being *marginally* better than GII/GIII dino oils but, in some people's opinion, not necessary for the vast majority of the driving public's applications and therefore not worth the premium...maybe 20 years ago but not with today's good dinos. It really just depends on your application and your willingness to pay a premium, either for that elusive and enigmatic "peace of mind", for somewhat extended drain intervals, or for an extreme/severe usage situation.

Having said all that, and after changing my mind a dozen or more times, I finally settled on TropArtic dino, which is a "synthetic blend" available at many Wal-Marts for $1.48 quart making it (arguably) perhaps the best everyday bargain out there, IMHO, and many others, and giving consistently good UOA and performance results. There are numerous other very, very good dinos as well. Motorcraft and Havoline dinos are two others that get a lot of love on BITOG, as do a number of others. But true synthetics are excellent products, if you can stomach the price.

Good luck on your search, but remember, it's a journey, not a destination.

Peace...

Thank you very much, I am starting to figure that out myself that it's a big discussion.
Thanks for the help, it just might save me from pulling out my remaining hair searching for the answer.lol

quote:

Originally posted by hominid7:
My local autozone looks to be staffed by the most recent prission escapees, the stores are filthy, and the parking lot has not been power washed in years. Their stock looks as if it has been merchandised by someone with no concept of retail or automotive repair. It's sad, as AutoZone started out as a really nice chain and has gone WAY down, at least here in the DFW area. The 4 or 5 stores i've been to here are excellent examples of how NOT to run a retail business.

offtopic.gif

My son worked at the local Autozone for about 6 months. Their customer base is shall we say, the "lowest common denominator." Lots of vehicles with 22" wheels, or scraping the ground, or with large wings on otherwise stock rice boxes. The parking lot would look like a cross between a DMZ and a landfill at closing almost every night. He got sick of dealing with those customers and trying to clean up after them very quickly.

He's since left and works for a real parts store that sells 95% to dealers and repair shops. He couldn't be happier
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back