Syn oil- company sez use regular interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a car but a mower- why does brigs/stratton say if you use syn oil you have to use the same change interval as dino oil?
odd to me- I thought syn let you extend the interval???
Whats different about mowers?

Because not all synthetic oils are the same and it difficult to control how this type equipment is used or abused. For the OEM its best to stick with one recommendation and not give the customer an excuse to collect on some warranty.

Plus if you talking about regular walk behind mowers, it only holds about 20 oz of oil and works in the nastiest environment you can ask for.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
Not a car but a mower- why does brigs/stratton say if you use syn oil you have to use the same change interval as dino oil?

I don't know about your mower, but the instruction manual for my mower (also has a B&S engine) has the interval expressed in time, not miles or hours. Specifically, it says to replace the oil once a year. Basically, oil degrades over time, regardless if it's mineral or synthetic, so that's why they want you to periodically change it, no matter what oil.

It's no different with cars - most manufacturers, even if they allow longer intervals (in miles) on synthetic, will still require you to have it changed at least once a year, regardless of miles.

Most Syn oils are not Long OCI oils. If they are the manufacturer will say it is good for X amount of miles.

What the manufacturers say is that you will get more benefits running it for X amount of miles than you will a dino oil.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
Because of the following:

-No oil filter to filter junk out of the oil
-Engine is Air/Oil cooled
-Engine doesn't have controls in place to keep fuel dilution to a minimum (NO EFI/02 Sensor etc)
-Engine has a small sump of oil

You also don't drive your car in a cloud of dirt but when mowing they are in dirt all the time.

Some manufacturers will allow a longer interval with synthetic oils but I still stick to 25 hours with my equipment running the Amsoil formula 4 stroke and wix oil filters.

Perhaps they're trying to avoid a mower going multiple years without the owner checking the oil at all. Synthetics may be great, but not if there isn't any left in the engine.

Originally Posted By: tamadrummer
You also don't drive your car in a cloud of dirt but when mowing they are in dirt all the time.

Some manufacturers will allow a longer interval with synthetic oils but I still stick to 25 hours with my equipment running the Amsoil formula 4 stroke and wix oil filters.

Good point, also they use substandard sponge style air-filters without the same type of rating as one you would use in your car.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: tamadrummer

Good point, also they use substandard sponge style air-filters without the same type of rating as one you would use in your car.
thumbsup2.gif

What are motocross and baja racers using for an air filter in extreme dusty conditions? the paper filters you buy at the corner auto parts store?

Last edited:
Yes... Briggs says not to extend oil if using a synthetic. 25 hrs severe service/hot weather and 50 hrs normal service.

Another reason is large tolerances and gasoline contamination is common in many small engines.

Last edited:
Most oil manufatcures and vehicle manufacturers recommend the same change interval for synthetic and dino oil. Simply because the engine doesn't decide to dump less contaminants into the oil because your spending more money on it.

That's right. It ain't the oil;It's what's in the oil that needs to be dumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back