Syn in the trans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I've been thinking about it....

The wife's 03 Cavalier will be due for it's 50k trans service.

I've considered using the usual stuff, but...

-The car mostly city driving

-I plan to pretty much run it until it rusts out (my guess it will do that first)

Would it be worth it to switch to synthetic?

The trans is in good shape...wife can be hard on it sometimes...so I do my best to take care of it for her...

I'm assuming it could use Mobil 1 ATF, which is a widely available, reasonably priced synth ATF.

I have had great shifts with Red Line ATF. Worth the extra cost for something you don't have to change very often.

Originally Posted By: drewjp
I'm assuming it could use Mobil 1 ATF, which is a widely available, reasonably priced synth ATF.

I have had great shifts with Red Line ATF. Worth the extra cost for something you don't have to change very often.

Would it work as well for auto? I was thinking Amsoil or Red line, but Mobil 1 doesn't sound bad either....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Would it work as well for auto? I was thinking Amsoil or Red line, but Mobil 1 doesn't sound bad either....

Yes. The reviews for Mobil 1 seem to be mixed though. I would spend the little extra and get some Red Line personally...excellent shift quality in the temps of our MI winters.

Any full synthetic DexronIII can be used and will work well.

Dexron6 is an easy choice here too and cheaper then the boutique synthetics.

It is always worth it to upgrade the fluid.

Mostly city driving requires more frequent maintenance.

M1 ATF would be a great choice. I've used it for 20 yrs. and never had a tranny failure. Yes, synt. would be a good choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: drewjp
Originally Posted By: daves87rs

Yes. The reviews for Mobil 1 seem to be mixed though. I would spend the little extra and get some Red Line personally...excellent shift quality in the temps of our MI winters.

That does sound good...and it's funny you say that, with snow coming tomorrow...I'm hoping to notice a difference....

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Any full synthetic DexronIII can be used and will work well.

Dexron6 is an easy choice here too and cheaper then the boutique synthetics.

It is always worth it to upgrade the fluid.

Mostly city driving requires more frequent maintenance.

True...I plan on at least running this car for a few more years...

Dexron6? Not ringing a bell..I need to start shopping and comparing these brands....

Redline D4 is a great fluid. In my experience much better than Mobil 1. Its harder to get your hands on and alot more expensive than others but it lasts a long time and in several GMs I have owned has smoothed out the shifts quite nicely. I would recommend you do a cooler line flush to get the full benefit.

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Redline D4 is a great fluid. In my experience much better than Mobil 1. Its harder to get your hands on and alot more expensive than others but it lasts a long time and in several GMs I have owned has smoothed out the shifts quite nicely. I would recommend you do a cooler line flush to get the full benefit.

Why the flush, might I ask?

Clean all the old fluid out?

Not only does a flush remove most all of the old fluid and contaminates held in suspension but it also ensures you are getting the full protection and characteristics of the new fluid. Some people drain the pan and install a few quarts of new fluid and after an initial improvement, it eventually subsides and they think to themselves, well that sucks and was a huge waste of money!

Flushing is a more cost effective approach when using synthetic fluids vs drain and fills. And its very easy to do yourself.

after my sunfire trans situation, I highly recommend syn for auto trans. 50k miles is too long. That's what happened in my sunfire trans. 50k miles was the first trans flush with no filter change until 93k
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
after my sunfire trans situation, I highly recommend syn for auto trans. 50k miles is too long. That's what happened in my sunfire trans. 50k miles was the first trans flush with no filter change until 93k
crazy2.gif

What happen to the Fire'?

I vote Amsoil also and also do not sell it. If you order it it takes about 2-3 to get it delivered. Mobil 1 may be easier to get locally.

If you want the transmission to last super long time, after synthetic ATF, consider a $20 Magnefine inline filter. It takes all of 10 minutes to install.

Install the synthetic ATF via a cooler line flush. But do a pan drain and refill first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back