Syn blend in Honda?

Maybe a bad title for the thread. I happened to see the gtx syn blend at WM recently. Got my attention. Thought, could I use this in my passport since I change every 5k...

looking at my owners manual, it’s states a 0w20 should be used, with 5w20 being ok if the former is not available.

there is then a paragraph synthetic can be used but that the maintenance minder must still be followed.

not that I’m going to use the blend, but based on the verbiage in the manual, doesn’t it seem like you could?

as always, just looking for some discussion.

One reason is that it’s not much of a cost savings over the magnatec I’m currently using. But I see your point.

I would not use a blend over a FS, but that's just me...especially when FS is only $15-20/jug.

I would just run a full synthetic 0w20. The price difference is not that much and you can keep an eye out for sales.

It's a J Series. By most accounts the VCM is much better these days. Use whatever meets the spec and maybe do changes at 5K, you'll be fine.

there is then a paragraph synthetic can be used but that the maintenance minder must still be followed.

not that I’m going to use the blend, but based on the verbiage in the manual, doesn’t it seem like you could?
Don't read anything more into what the manual says. Honda's MM doesn't do a lab analysis on the motor oil, it just uses factors like RPM, temperature, etc to determine how long conventional oil is suitable for use. Some people say you can use synthetic (or a synthetic blend) twice as long as conventional oil. Maybe you can, maybe you can't. Honda doesn't care. If you use conventional, blend, or synthetic, they want it changed when the MM says to change it.

All of those choices would be fine. 'long as it has the required API spec and one of those grades, and you follow the change interval.

The Magnatec is certainly popular with tons of great used analysis on the forum, can't really go wrong there

Honda basically says any 0W20 or 5W20 with API SN / SN-Plus / SP can work and to follow the MM

So sure, GTX 0W20 UltraClean semi-synthetic would be fine. The jug here says Honda on the front label, so Castrol think it’s fine too

Three points of view
- run a better full synthetic like M1 or Magnatec, because it’s better oil and doesn’t cost much more
OR
- find a cheap full syn like Harvest King
OR
- just use the synblend as that is what Honda assumed many would use when they developed and tested their MM

No problem with any of the three options above, and it’s unlikely that any will make a difference to how the car ages. It’s more a matter of style than engineering. That is why they make oil standards like API, so development Engineers can predict engine performance and give you sensible advice.

I’ll probably end up staying with magnatec as there is no real price advantage doing the blend.

however, I’ve always wanted to try QSUD in 0 or 5 w20. Seems to be a great oil at a great price.

I’ll probably end up staying with magnatec as there is no real price advantage doing the blend.

however, I’ve always wanted to try QSUD in 0 or 5 w20. Seems to be a great oil at a great price.
Castrol Magnatec is a good oil and often my default choice.

Back