Symptoms of Sludge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides the general seizure of engine, fast oil consumption, bad mileage...what are other symptoms of sludge.

What are the signs in OIL ANALYSIS that shows sludge buildup.

Probably the easiest way is to take the valve cover off, but is there a less intrusive way?

I believe that if you start seeing higher oxidation levels in the UOA reports and thickening of the oil more than usual, it's the first sign of sludge forming.

One of the first indications is that new oil goes dark very quickly, which means its trying to dissolve some of the sludge.

Of course the most intrusive methods are to remove the valve covers and the oil pan/sump cover. Varnish is a crustation film and is simply a condensation of oil vapors and is redish to brown, while sludge is generally thick with a dark brown to black coloration, and tarry. Sludge is actually a polymer of depleted additives, moisture, and higher molecular weight oil molecules.

As Patman stated, it's Useless Oil Molecules, or was that useless MolaKules?
shocked.gif

Golly, wish Badnews method wasn't patented, or I would have plagurized his statement.
nono.gif
grin.gif

[ September 11, 2003, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Golly, wish Badnews method wasn't patented, or I would have plagurized his statement.
nono.gif
grin.gif

I ain't paying no royalties.
twak.gif
It's just like Napster,"File-Sharing"!
tongue.gif

Mark

quote:

Originally posted by rugerman1:

I ain't paying no royalties.
twak.gif
It's just like Napster,"File-Sharing"!
tongue.gif
Mark
[/QUOTE]

We're being The Rebel today, huh?

[ September 11, 2003, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
One of the first indications is that new oil goes dark very quickly, which means its trying to dissolve some of the sludge.
-------
Maybe! Don't have to be this way though.
There could be fall-out and the oil not be turning this black.
I like the patent - expired finger test or the Pan and or the VC is a for sure test.
--snip

Sludge is actually a polymer of depleted additives, moisture, and higher molecular weight oil molecules.
---
Okay, but isn't ALL dino oil just Sludge anyway?

I think it is. It's just sludge that's refined and treated with chemicals to not fall-out of the refined state. It has a calling to return to it's natural state.

--snip-

Bad Sludge? Last week someone came in for an oil change and there was a 1 inch pile of grease-like sludge and metal filings on the end of the drain plug when it came out.

I think sludge can only be confirmed visually. Not having that, excessive oil consumption will attribute and cause sludge. And I do mean even 1qt/1k mi.. Gradual and sure changes are increased oil consumption, decreased power and fuel economy. However, because these changes are so gradual, one may not even notice until it's too late...

Well stick your finger in the oil fill hole swipe as much as you can off of the valve covers, withdrawl finger and examine , sludge will be present on the finger, it it exists. This is a patented test and if you preform it you must send me 5 dollars. IM for address.

[ September 11, 2003, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: badnews ]

Problem with the 5sfe engine for 2000, is that you can see down the oil cap, it's blocked off from a direct downward view. Oh well...I'll see what the next UOA say.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back