Sylvania Silverstar zXe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ordered the Silverstar zXe H11 for my Lexus.

Anybody else using the zXe bulbs? Opinions more than welcome.

I used to be a silverstar believer then it came out they are mostly marketing and almost scam.

Those bulbs appear to use a blue filter to "rival the color of hid" and have shimmery appearance.

Nowhere does it say they are near hid performance... all marketing

They basically appear to be for look only.

Have Xtravision installed now. They have been good bulbs, but I need more light.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Have Xtravision installed now. They have been good bulbs, but I need more light.

The zXe will not give you more light. It will actually give you less. In fact, it will give you less light than even the long-life bulbs, but without the long life.

You;d be better off with the Osram Nightbreaker

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Junk bulbs, you will see less and blind traffic more. Blue coatings have no place on halogen bulbs.

Good stuff here at his site, he's an actual expert.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/blue.html

Some of them with a little blue zone are ok they just tint the off axis light somewhat.. but usually yes the blue tint is a light filter so you get less light output and worthless.

The ZTE series appears to be for bling bling.. look only.

I was a Sylvania headlight bulb lover but they sure have a short life. After reading about PIAA headlight bulbs and using them for the past ten years, I can say PIAA beats the living life out of Sylvania bulbs by a longshot. PIAA headlight bulbs are double the price but more than quadruple the lifespan of Sylvania.

I have them in my Impala because I got them cheap.

They seem fine to me, but they replaced 2010 OEM bulbs that were very yellowed and faded. Probably going to Nightbreakers next.

Originally Posted By: PolarisX
I have them in my Impala because I got them cheap.

They seem fine to me, but they replaced 2010 OEM bulbs that were very yellowed and faded. Probably going to Nightbreakers next.

Does your impala have projectors or reflectors? For projectors the best h11 replacement is accomplished by using an H9 with the small mod. Much more light with the same focus

OK I changed the order. Ordered a set of Phillips Vision Plus.

After reading to my eyes crossed, I am going to roll with XenonDepot Xtreme HID kit. Just have not decided on color option yet.

http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-HID-Kit-Xtreme-HID-p/xt-h11.htm

Please tell me you are trolling? Right after we just saved the OP from making a bad lighting decision we lost another one to an even worse problem....

There are no reputable hid kits made that are based on halogen part numbers. The light source is different on an hid bulb than a halogen so that projector needs to be completely different.

You can not safely swap an hid bulb into a halogen projector. The light will never aim where it's needed, and it's also very illegal

Yes I will do that for sure. I don't like being blinded either.

Yes I will do that for sure. I don't like being blinded either.

You can't aim hid bulbs in a halogen projector. They will never be right.

Originally Posted By: Rand
...some guy with the bad hid bulbs that were blinding people got shot here the other day... road raged.

I am honestly not surprised that happened. Was it recent?

Even properly aimed halogen projectors with 55W HID drop ins can be blinding.

Last edited:

Can you find a pair of good condition OEM Lexus/Toyota HID headlamp assemblies at the salvage yard?

All I know is that it does have quality projectors, and it will work fine.

I ordered 35 watt HID, and XenonDepot was highly recommended, so I went with their product. People are going years with their gear, and not having any problems. The kit I ordered comes with relays too.

With projectors, you at least are not likely to blind other drivers. To the statement that "it will work fine"...maybe. Because your projectors are designed for halogen bulbs, they likely bias the light out in front (vs. providing a lot of light to the road sides). With re-based HID "bulbs", the foreground and roadway will likely be over-lit, and you may or may not have better down-road vision (with your pupils constricting because of the over-lit foreground).

The best way to see well at night is to optimize your headlamps (making sure they're clean and using the best light source possible -- in this case, known good performing halogen bulbs), and to turn down your instrument lighting. In most modern cars, instrument lighting is best classified as disability glare -- the foreground lighting causes your pupils to constrict and it competes for your focus. Turn your instrument lights down to their lowest possible setting -- it's remarkable how much better you can see at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back