Switching to Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2001 MR2 with 63000 miles on the clock, the previous owner had full records showing dino oil changes using shell and exxon oil every 3000/3500 miles. I want change to synthetic for the protection benefits, my question, are the miles to high to change to get the benefit and is more probable that I will have leaks than not.
Thank you

Should be no problem at this milage. I switched my Honda at 113,000 but I did use a product called auto-rx. I would recomend you use this product before going to synthetic as you do have some buildup of sorts at this milage on dino.

please search on these forums and try to read all the threads about switching from dino to syn at moderate-high mileage (there's a lot of them to be found)... you will see that clearly the majority of them resulted in leaks and consumption (I was a vcistim, too), and a few did not. Good luck, and as I said, inform yourself on all sides before switching.

I'd just drain the old oil, change the filter, and dump in the synthetic. Unless your engine is prone to sludging or was neglected, there's no need to clean the engine's interior prior to the switchover, IMHO. I'd change the first round of synthetic a bit early, though. Say after 5000 miles of normal driving.

I did it in my old Focus at 80k by first running a Castrol Syntec Blend for one OCI then switching to Mobil 1. No leaks or added consumption took place.

I am of the opinion that synthetic would be overkill & a waste of hard-earned $$$ for the car in question. Any good API SL or SM dino oil should provide adequate protection for the engine, even in the cold Boston winter.

But what fun is plain old dino oil, right?
dunno.gif
wink.gif

-wavinwayne

some people just want to use what they feel is 'best'. I agree, dinos will adequately serve any engine's needs. But if one wants to use something like synthetics, what da heck right? why not?

well, to answer this thread's question, i would usually switch to synthetic by 20,000 miles or ealier but you may give 63k a try and monitor your oil consumption and check for oil leaks underneath the car. I strongly feel against anyone switching over to synthetic over 100k miles... Also, i dont really support the idea of auto-rx. But seems like the last owner kept a pretty good oci, so i would be ok enough to say that you can make the switch.

Is this with the turbo- earlier this week another MR2 user with a turbo wanted to know how to stop the leak from M1
he put in at higher mileage.

To be sure you don't develope a leak from your engine, I agree with TR3; Auto-Rx is the thing to use before switching to synthetic. You should go to the additive-section to see what other users say about this product. This is certainly not snake-oil. Those of you who is not familiar with Auto-Rx, should not be so fast to tell others about it, just because of the fact that you know nothing about it. Let those who have experience with it, tell what they have seen.

Evertime I read about somebody wanting to switch to synthetic, I get this picture in my mind of an old wooden barrel full of wiskey that has just been shot up with bullet holes in a bad western movie.
shocked.gif

I did 10K OCI with Mobil 1 for my wifes Civic up until 125k miles. When I changed a leaky valve cover gasket last year, it was spotless & zero varnish.

If you can keep the engine spotless the first 125K miles, the next 125K miles on cheap dino will be easy.

63,000 miles for a Toyota is VERY low miles.
smile.gif

I changed my fiance's 1997 Jetta 2.0L to castrol syntec blend alittle while ago and no leaks. Her car had 65K before the change and now she is about due for another change so this time im running GC European Formula with a stock filter. Her car had nothing but oil stop oil changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back