Switching To Synthetic with 15K on the Odometer>???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious as to thoughts: Finally convinced dear ol' mom, that Toyota oil/filters are NOT the only thing that covers Toyota's warranty. The "stealership" told her that she needed the $33 change, with "Offical" Toyota oil/filter every 3000 miles.

rolleyes.gif
mad.gif
I chewed them a new one! First off, their "offical" Toyota oil, was in a Mobil bottle. Secondly, owner's called for FIVE K changes!

The 2006 Camry 4-cylinder, is about to hit 15,000 miles. Would changing to 5-30 Mobil 1 & a Wix filter at this point, still be a worthwhile "to-do?"
confused.gif

I was hoping to keep the motor as good as new, many K's down the pike. I know that 3K changes with conventional oil is more than adequate for basic protection. However, if one is looking to hopefully get a couple hundred thousand miles on the engine, wouldn't synthetic be a good investment
confused.gif
confused.gif

Thanks for the thoughts.....
smile.gif

Does that engine still use the odd timing belt/gear valvetrain setup? I guess they were known for beating up oil, especially if one were to run extended OCI's on a dino oil. Synthetic oil would be fine and ensure the engine stays happy and clean. How long do you plan on running the oil and filter?

Synthetics are alway's a good investment. Only 5K for severe duty? I thought it would be at least 7.5K....anyway, buy the Mobil 1 on sale or Wally World to make it work.

yes!

I switched my old Vic to Syn at over 130k!

I switched a '00 Silverado at 20k to Syn.

Is it the new or old body style Camry?

How is your Vic?

Since you have to stay with 5k oil changes with Toyotas motor till 60k, I'd use a good conventional oil and your motor will be well protected and clean with no worries.

Thats what I'm doing with my Toyota. (And I will get 300k with ease, already @ 55k with my 2005)
cheers.gif

Unless you want to spend the $$.
dunno.gif

Your motor will last with either.
patriot.gif

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bill in Utah:

Your motor will last with either.
patriot.gif

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I've seen both sides of this coin. Over 200 k on conventional, and over 200k on synthetic. My choice for my new ride is a 50/50 blend of Havoline oils, conventional/syn, (from the AA closeouts), a Pure One filter, and 4k changes in a lightly used 04 Rendezvous. Why? I have enough of oil to blend 4k changes until well past 100k. ( At that point, I have a shelf full of Hav HM for the next 50k). I have a greater percentage of syn than offered by nearly any manufacturer for added peace of mind. (My mind only). The syn is SL, and brings ZDDP to the party, while the conventional is SM, with it's dose of moly and little or none of the Mobil salt so that if it does show up in a UOA, I can lean toward coolant contamination. A change costs 11.00, (fixed- 18 changes to 100k, or 200 bucks); considerably less than any Iffy Change, and a ten spot less than a current Durablend, or Syntec Blend change. I chose the P1 based on cost vs. performance. I expect that I will easily get 200 k on the engine, and the rest of the vehicle will be shot at the 10 year mark anyway. ULVER, either way you go, conventional at a shorter interval, or extended runs on a syn, you'll get to 200k. Your choice in filters is probably more critical for long term engine health.

[ August 30, 2006, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: beanoil ]

Thanks for the thoughts...All good ones, too! I plan to sneak the Mobil 1 in there, and not look back. I think it's worth the extra protection.

I have heard about certain Toyota engines "sludging" oil rather quickly, which I wish someone could explain why this would happen, and to what models/motors
confused.gif

This Camry certainly feels solid, and it has more power as a 4-banger, than the old Taurus did with a V6. However, it is a very BORING car...
blush.gif
I wish I could have talked her into the Honda Element...

And Islandvic, the P/I is still good to go! Just suffers from those aches and pains of any 12 year-old ride.
wink.gif
Thanks for asking!

quote:

Originally posted by ULVER:
Thanks for the thoughts...All good ones, too! I plan to sneak the Mobil 1 in there, and not look back. I think it's worth the extra protection.

I have heard about certain Toyota engines "sludging" oil rather quickly, which I wish someone could explain why this would happen, and to what models/motors
confused.gif

With 5k oil changes there is NO extra protection offered using Mobil 1 over Conventional.

Your just protecting the Stock holders of Mobil stock!
lol.gif

Your 4 cyl in the Camry is sooo far away from a sludging engine so don't worry.

Just do a search around here or on the internet about the sludging toyota motors.

I've got in the family close to 300k VW jetta motor which has seen mostly Halovine and Valvoline Conventional oils with Fram filters every 4-5k miles.

It's clean, runs fine and gets excellent MPG still 20 years later.

Thats with oil of yesterday which is not as good as todays.
spaz.gif

If you want to spend the $$ cool, just don't think your getting a big difference in protection.

Because you are not.
dunno.gif

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

V6 Camry and Honda Element are VERY different. The Element will rock you down the road, and mine had a nasty tendency to hydroplane (no doubt a function of the tires), while the Camry will be MUCH smoother riding. Element also has a roaring road noise in comparison. Element is great for bike races, as I didn't have to disassemble any parts. I just rolled the bike out and start warming up. But, when I started having to drive 500 miles on occasion for work, I sold it...it would definitely wear me down on trips like that.

They're just very different vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back