Switching to some type of HIGH MILEAGE OIL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LS1MAN
I have an 02 DeVille(with 104k on it) that is sucking up 1qt of Mobil1 5-30, I want to switch to some type of high mileage oil. Can't decide on what to go with my 3 choices are Mobile 1 high mileage, Valvoline Syn high mileage, or regular dino Valvoline high mileage. Would their be any disadvantages with going with the regular dino, since the car has been on a M1 diet since new. It's just killing me to buy 8qts of M1 to go 3k. I can get the Valvoline dino HM for $13.50 for a 5qt jug. Looking for info on what you guys think. This is my first post here, long time lurker..but this DeVille's oil consumption is killing me.

If you want to run an HM oil I highly recommend Valvoline Maxlife. Just a note however. They do not offer conventional Maxlife. It is either a blend or full synthetic.

I agree with another poster that said this may be due to stuck rings, a bad pcv, valve seats, etc... You could replace the pcv( actually should replace is more accurate )and then try something to free up the stuck ring(s) 1st. Many will recommend Auto-RX which is fine. I personally would try a Seafoam treatment 1st as it is cheaper( $8 )and much quicker( 200-300 miles of driving either frees it or it won't vs 5000+ miles and 2 OC's with A-RX ). If the Seafoam doesn't work then you could try A-RX to rejuvinate the seals.

Also, for whatever this is worth, you hear a lot of stories of increased oil consumption using M1 5W-30 that goes away with a swap to another brand of oil. Been hearing that for a LONG time. Not bashing M1 just another thing to consider that MIGHT be the cause/cure.

Last edited:
Well, I went with the Valvoline Maxlife(blend) and have about 500 miles on the oil and cant really tell if it's slowing down the oil consumption. It still has not needed any oil yet....I think in the next 500-1000 miles I will know.

ETA: the PCV valve still looked good.

Last edited:
If this is one of the Caddys that are known to burn oil I would use the cheapest and thick,10-40, dino I could find.

I also have a 2002 DeVille owned since new with 60K on the vehicle. It used oil since new and I remember the guy at the oil change place said they all do. But, I can verify after I began using the WOT technique, oil usage was drastically reduced. I just nail it often and it seems to do the thing described. I have used M1 10W30 EP since it was introduced. Am switching over to M1 10W30 HM the next oil change. It is a great car.

Thanks for the link and the comments about WOT. Its always helpful to read those to my wife!

She doesn't mind when I floor my IS350, but its always good to remind her that its necessary maintence and not "playing"

banana2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back