Switching to some type of HIGH MILEAGE OIL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 02 DeVille(with 104k on it) that is sucking up 1qt of Mobil1 5-30, I want to switch to some type of high mileage oil. Can't decide on what to go with my 3 choices are Mobile 1 high mileage, Valvoline Syn high mileage, or regular dino Valvoline high mileage. Would their be any disadvantages with going with the regular dino, since the car has been on a M1 diet since new. It's just killing me to buy 8qts of M1 to go 3k. I can get the Valvoline dino HM for $13.50 for a 5qt jug. Looking for info on what you guys think. This is my first post here, long time lurker..but this DeVille's oil consumption is killing me.

I have never tried it but a lot of people here rave about Valvoline Maxlife. You might want to use that but when it comes to high mileage oils you cant go wrong with any one of them. Let us know what the driving style is so others can give you sound advise too. Oh and
welcome2.gif

Perhaps you want to do an Auto-RX clean & rinse cycle then see if it still consumes oil. If it does then switch to a thicker high mileage oil that's maybe a 40wt (if available).

Also check the PCV...

cheers3.gif

Steve

1. 1 Qt every how many miles?

2. Why change the Mobil 1 at 3,000 miles? It is good for anywhere from 6-10,000 miles.

3. I just bought a jug of Mobil 1 HM at Walmart for 26.00.

Being in Florida you could run a heavier weight oil. You might try a 10-40. They make a full Syn Maxlife. There are people that even swear by the 50 weight oils. Mobil 1 makes a 15w-50.

To answer some questions...

It's mostly city driving about 35miles a day...normal driving
Consumption is 1qt per 1k....3qts in 3k

With the consumption issue, I've been changing every 3k....I know, I know, in my other vehicles I usually get 6k between changes. Im kind of scared to go longer in the DeVille though.

I have used Valvoline Maxlife and it is excellent. Recently I have tried other brands of high mileage oil because my oil pressure had been low at all rpm ranges.It was a mechanical condition, not related to the oil.
Since you already use Mobil, why not try one of their HM oils?

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Is this oil consumption a recent development or been this way for a while?

Bought the car certified at around 70k...but it's been doing this the whole time i've had it.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Interesting read: http://www.caddyinfo.com/northstaroil.htm

Thanks, Intresting....Im gonna have to thrash it for a while it's kind of driven gently. It's kind of surprising that it says to use conventional oil...when the cap on the motor says to use M1.

Originally Posted By: LS1MAN
... It's kind of surprising that it says to use conventional oil...when the cap on the motor says to use M1.

Uh-oh... He used Conventional and M1 in the same sentence. Everyone Hide
27.gif
... this thread is about to explode!

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: LS1MAN
... It's kind of surprising that it says to use conventional oil...when the cap on the motor says to use M1.

Uh-oh... He used Conventional and M1 in the same sentence. Everyone Hide
27.gif
... this thread is about to explode!

That kind of brings me back to why I was asking...would there be an adverse reason to not use the Dino Valvoline HM, over the M1 HM or the Valvoline Syn HM????

Using conventional oil when the cap explicitly calls for M1 will cause excessive pressure buildup and blow the oil cap off
48.gif

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
Using conventional oil when the cap explicitly calls for M1 will cause excessive pressure buildup and blow the oil cap off
48.gif

It's a GM product, it will do that anyways!
LOL.gif
J/K

Thanks guys...I have about a month to think about it, before the next change. Im kind of leaning towards the Valvoline Dino HM.

the heck with m1..just use supertech or a HM oil and hopefully you can figure out what is wrong

I've been using Valvoline MaxLife since I bought my Neon, up until today (switched to Pennzoil Platinum so I'm not under the car so often and spending so much money so often). Great oil, synthetic blend, and about $16 at Wal-Mart for a 5 quart jug.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back