Switching to Pennzoil Dino from NAPA Syn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I run out of my stash of NAPA syn from the sale, I am going to switch to 5W20 Pennzoil YB in my 08 F150 V-6. With 3000 mile oil changes, will my engine still have the same level of protection?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes sir!
thumbsup2.gif
PYB is excellent oil!

Valvoline Syn to Pennzoil conventional? Just my opinion, but that seems like a downgrade.
Prolly be OK though..I've read that since the mid-90s, Pennz is about as good as the other conventional oils on the market.

3k oil changes in your Ford. ANY oil is going to be excellent.

No worries AT ALL.

Hardly a "downgrade".
smirk2.gif

People need to spend more time reading this board...

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Valvoline Syn to Pennzoil conventional? Just my opinion, but that seems like a downgrade.
Prolly be OK though..I've read that since the mid-90s, Pennz is about as good as the other conventional oils on the market.

Based upon what data?

Have you looked at VOAs of PYB? One of the best add packs youll find.

I actually just finished up a 3k run on Pennzoil Platinum and a tank of gas treated with a bottle of Techron. The PP appeared to clean very well. I replaced it with Yellow Bottle 5w30 and plan on running it exclusively with MC filters from Walmart. I have no problem running YB 4k with the way I drive. It's probably one of the most economical way to change your oil and get excellent protection. Just my opinion.

You could also run the Napa synthetic and save money and still use a good high quality synth. Valvoline produces all the Napa brand oils. Napa synth is all but identical to Valvoline synth, and what differences exist are very minor and negligible. The Napa syn is on sale this month, $2.99/qt.

If you really want to switch back to a conventional, the Napa dino and HM are also both nearly identical to their respective Valvoline branded oils. The Napa brand oils cost about half the price of Valvoline at Napa. And they perform every bit as well as Valvoline, especially since you are following a 3000 mile OCI. I just changed my oil today with 4 quarts of Napa HM 10W30, $3.20 a quart (the list price is $3.79, the store gave me a discount on it and 20 cents off my ProSelect filter). Maxlife 10W30 was about $5.90 a quart IIRC.

Both my truck and my girlfriend's Honda Accord run great on the Napa brand oil.

Just my 2 cents here, my Napa sermon/testimonial is over now...

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
3k oil changes in your Ford. ANY oil is going to be excellent.

No worries AT ALL.

Hardly a "downgrade".
smirk2.gif

People need to spend more time reading this board...

+1!
18.gif
Seriously.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Based upon what data?

Have you looked at VOAs of PYB? One of the best add packs youll find.

Is it good now? No more silver wear sludge in the oil pans like in the old days? No, I haven't read any VOAs. Where would I find those?
What's the ZDDP content?
I still prefer synthetic, but am open to new information.

river_rat as someone who has only been an official member for a little over a month and 108 posts, you should do a lot more reading IMO before posting your view on a product that you haven't used and/or researched.

Just don't want you to get shot down or pushed to the side...
thumbsup2.gif

No offense StevieC. 'cause I like you, but you have no idea how much research I do on oils, filters, and wear. When I post about something I do/don't like, there is always a darn good reason.
Most people are brand loyal. I tear things apart. I clock flow into filters with a stopwatch. I filter flour/oil mixtures through them for examimation. I can tell you the average clearance between the center end cap material and the filter can of a new PF53 measured .06". I weigh bearings to the 0.1 grain after sitting for 2 weeks to see which oil sticks to them better and which runs off. I mix STP with oil to test its viscosity change.
These are just the home experiments. I also read incessantly....and I contact manufacturers and ask questions.

...So regarding Pennzoil, read what? I see a lot of people like Pennzoil on this board...but that means nothing to me. I like facts instead. I don't like two trusted mechanics at two different times showing me oil pans full of shiney engine dust that they told me was from YB. This was a long time ago.
So...did they fix it or not?

Originally Posted By: breeves
I am going to switch to 5W20 Pennzoil YB

Right on! Pennz yb is about the best imo (along with Valvoline wb,of course :^) I`d choose Pennz yb over any synthetic I`ve ever tried.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
No offense StevieC. 'cause I like you, but you have no idea how much research I do on oils, filters, and wear. When I post about something I do/don't like, there is always a darn good reason.
Most people are brand loyal. I tear things apart. I clock flow into filters with a stopwatch. I filter flour/oil mixtures through them for examimation. I can tell you the average clearance between the center end cap material and the filter can of a new PF53 measured .06". I weigh bearings to the 0.1 grain after sitting for 2 weeks to see which oil sticks to them better and which runs off. I mix STP with oil to test its viscosity change.
These are just the home experiments. I also read incessantly....and I contact manufacturers and ask questions.

...So regarding Pennzoil, read what? I see a lot of people like Pennzoil on this board...but that means nothing to me. I like facts instead. I don't like two trusted mechanics at two different times showing me oil pans full of shiney engine dust that they told me was from YB. This was a long time ago.
So...did they fix it or not?

cheers3.gif
Good to know...
thumbsup2.gif

I have used PP and PYB and have a UOA from the PP and it works just as good as my Amsoil for the time I have it in service. The PYB I don't have a UOA on but I know that the Kia engine it is in sees stop/go traffic, extended idling and it stays clean a long time and the engine seems to perform better and quieter running it. I know this isn't scientific but I can relate to the people on the board that say it's a good oil because my experiences have been positive. I have never seen anything but dirty oil come out and the filters have been spotless too, so I would have to say any issues they may have had in the past have been fixed IMO.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks. See, I actually want to know it's good. More choices are better. I don't like Fram but I would be delighted if they started making filters I like because they are easily available.

I dropped Castrol because they won't tell me what the ZDDP content is. I have a right to know for making a decision. Valvoline and othere tell me these things. I will not use Castrol now because they seem to be hiding something.
So, about thise YB VOAs, I know its up to me to do my own homework, but a hint of where they could be found would be nice.

I just did the Google search on BITOG and can't find a VOA for PYB. Johnny might know where it is. Send him a PM and ask him he's great for Pennzoil info. (obviously).

cheers3.gif

Have a good night!

Go to the VOA area and LOOK for one for Pennzoil Conventional..

Like this --> Pennzoil SM conventional VOA

and

Pennzoil SM 10w-30

Don't get caught up on what type of oil or base or additives something is.

Get caught up on how it PERFORMS and even more, CHANGE YOUR OIL.

Changing it is more important than what type it is. Follow your manual and 99% of the time, you'll be well off.

Bill

PS: Time taken to find the above info, 3 mins NOT using the useless search engine here..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back