Switching to Pennzoil Dino from NAPA Syn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZZman
So are you going to sue the Oil Companies or contact the FTC and file a complaint so they will get a cease and desist order against these lying Oil Companies so they can not claim Syn oil is better and why?

The question is not "will conventional work O.K for me" The question was is the "protection level the same"
The answer has to be No.

**Would the word performance instead of protection be a better word?

Bill is always righ just listen and move on,
wink.gif
,,brother.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Go to the VOA area and LOOK for one for Pennzoil Conventional..

Thanks for the Link, Bill. The VOA does look good. Obviously you didn't read my post though...the part where I said I couldn't find anything meaningful on my search. I couldn't come up with this.
Sorry you got all emotional over my opinion.
LOL.gif

He does that allot.
smirk2.gif

So you have to quote from another thread to make what point?
smirk2.gif
(and yes, I CARE about this website. I've tried to keep it factual. Not SPEW like others)

What is it with you guys from MI and syn oil?
crazy2.gif

Next...

Bill, In my UOA of Synthetic versus Dino it shows lower metal counts on the sheet in the winter time versus the summer time.

In the summer the Dino oil seems to do the same job as far as I can tell from listening to the engine, cutting open the used filter and a UOA.

In the winter it's a different story. Dino makes the engine tick like crazy, start rougher, causes excess metal bits in the oil filter and raises the count on the UOA.

Now I'm not saying all engines experience this but in my situation it does. So for me Synthetic in the winter offers superior protection over Dino.
wink.gif

crazy2.gif

Next...

Bill, please don't make generalizations and/or lump us all into the same category. We suffer from severe economic depression.

If you continue, I will notify your wives regarding all the time you spend here!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

crazy2.gif

Next...

Bill, please don't make generalizations and/or lump us all into the same category. We suffer from severe economic depression.

If you continue, I will notify your wives regarding all the time you spend here!
cheers3.gif

Sorry, forgot there are some sane folks from MI!
10.gif

And trust me, I've got my hands full with just one wife. Married 24 years this December.
02.gif

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Bill, In my UOA of Synthetic versus Dino it shows lower metal counts on the sheet in the winter time versus the summer time.

In the summer the Dino oil seems to do the same job as far as I can tell from listening to the engine, cutting open the used filter and a UOA.

In the winter it's a different story. Dino makes the engine tick like crazy, start rougher, causes excess metal bits in the oil filter and raises the count on the UOA.

Now I'm not saying all engines experience this but in my situation it does. So for me Synthetic in the winter offers superior protection over Dino.
wink.gif

And my UOAs have shown for the same period in the same engine syn showed no difference.
21.gif

What you need to do is post those UOAs (esp with the excess metal bits in the oil like crazy) here.

I'd love to see them.
cheers3.gif

I don't have a "problem" with syn. I have a problem with people trying to justify their spending and trying to make others who do not use syn feel that their engines are going to die sooner than later.

Because their engine will not.

Take care, Bill

Bill I will do that. I have to take care of some family stuff today but will post later for you to see.

I have one with Pennzoil YB versus Amsoil Synthetic over the same period of miles using the same filter. I wanted to see the difference for myself...

cheers3.gif

Bill I will do that. I have to take care of some family stuff today but will post later for you to see.

I have one with Pennzoil YB versus Amsoil Synthetic over the same period of miles using the same filter. I wanted to see the difference for myself...

cheers3.gif

Excellent!

Thank you...

I've got hundreds of thousands of miles using yesterdays conventional oils. (and todays oils are MUCH better, in fact I'd even say that todays convetnional oils are prob better than yesterdays syn oils)

I've said that myself a few times too, they've made such vast improvements in the quality of oils nowadays that the latest conventional oils definitely are going to perform just as well if not better than a lot of the mass marketed synthetic oils that were available in the 80s and 90s.

I use synthetic oil in my Corvette because it calls for it, and because the oil life monitor was calibrated based on it, however I am of the belief that if your engine doesn't specifically call for synthetic you really don't need to use it. Bill and many others here are living proof that you can get very long engine life using conventional oils. And of those conventional oils, Pennzoil YB is definitely one of the top three (if not the very top)

Synthetic oil is good for longer drain intervals and will flow better in very extreme cold, however it doesn't make your engine last longer. If that were true we'd see a drastic reduction in the engine wear numbers in UOAs and long time members of this site will know that's simply not true. Synthetic oil is NOT more slippery, that's one myth I'd love to see die.

On the syn vs dino thing,I switched because my engine runs smoother on dino. I have also been spending time reading through the UOA`s and trying to educate myself on what they mean and such. I find that dinos such as YB have lower wear metals then synths,and I know so many people getting near and past the 300-400k mile mark on very hard driven cars of nothing but dino and the engines still showing factory spec compression in every cylinder.

Syn seems to be excellent in the gears,but I still prefer dino in the engine.

Whew..I am glad I am one of the sane ones from Michigan.

To tell you the truth until I got older and found this site I didn't really put any thought into oil, filter etc..... I just went to the quick lube place and they threw in any oil filter and oil they had. Until a couple years ago I ran dino and then switched to Syn oils. I did have 2 cars that had engine failures in the head area. Could Syn oil have made a difference? Who knows.

I don't need to justify buying Syn oil to anyone if you meant me.
Just as you don't have to justify buying Dino oil to anyone. To each their own and what they chose to spend their cash on.

However I have yet to hear from others on this board showing with facts that Dino and Syn oil are the same as far as protection. They may be close. They may be so close as to make very little difference in actual benefits to most people. But Syn oil still offers better protection.

This same argument could be made for gasoline. Millions use el-cheapo gas and have no perceived issues for 1,000's to 100,000's of miles. Others use top tier gas or maybe the new Shell Nitrogen gasoline that is supposed to keep everything cleaner. Which gasoline performs better or offers better deposit protection? Does it matter? Can many notice or care about the difference? Some do. And using a better gasoline may allow your vehicle perform at peak efficiency instead of a little lower than that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
They may be so close as to make very little difference in actual benefits to most people. But it still offers better protection.

In my real world experiences it sure as heck does.

Bill I will Post the UOA's when I dig them out of my home/office that we are painting. I thought they were in my Glovebox where I keep all my other stuff but it's in the office. Is a week or so OK?

I assure you I do have such UOA's, just life stuff is in the way.

cheers3.gif

Steve

Hi guys ( and gals?) I'm new around here, but old as dirt. This is NOT a thread hijack - I have a similar question. Was running (real?) synthetic 5W-30 this past winter in my Yaris 1.5 L. In the previous Summer and Fall, I was having issues with the hydraulic cam chain tensioner sticking periodically and sounding like a chainsaw running through my block. It seems "cured" with the synthetic, but I'm thinking of going back to conventional. Guess I want something that wont gum up the tensioner mechanism? Was running EoM Clean 5000.

welcome2.gif

why not stick with the syn if it's working for you and your tensioner?, synthetics are going for cheap these days and the extra protection never hurts either.

Hi Daman! Thanx for the welome! I was running Motul 8100 EcoNergy, and it was costing me about $10 a litre to my door - but I just lost my semi-retirement job ;( I dont know what's a "real" synthetic anymore, so I went to the dark side - France (gasp!) I got Ashland Synpower 10W30in there now - feels a tad thick on the butt dyno ...

sure i can understand that there's allot of great conventional oil out there if that's the road you need to take take PYB or M1, Valvoline or MC just to name a few that will keep your ride clean and happy,search around lots of good reading here.

that little 1.5 will out last you on any quality SM oil i bet.

Bill I will Post the UOA's when I dig them out of my home/office that we are painting. I thought they were in my Glovebox where I keep all my other stuff but it's in the office. Is a week or so OK?

I assure you I do have such UOA's, just life stuff is in the way.

cheers3.gif

Steve
No problem. I just wanted to see the report. Take your time!

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Hi guys ( and gals?) I'm new around here, but old as dirt. This is NOT a thread hijack - I have a similar question. Was running (real?) synthetic 5W-30 this past winter in my Yaris 1.5 L. In the previous Summer and Fall, I was having issues with the hydraulic cam chain tensioner sticking periodically and sounding like a chainsaw running through my block. It seems "cured" with the synthetic, but I'm thinking of going back to conventional. Guess I want something that wont gum up the tensioner mechanism? Was running EoM Clean 5000.

Got the same tensioner on my Corolla.

No problems @ 133k.

Take care, bill

Cool...

I just realized that when I moved the furniture to the other side of the room I scuffed the freshly painted walls and have to touch it up.
mad.gif
$@#!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back