Switching to Pennzoil Dino from NAPA Syn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Go to the VOA area and LOOK for one for Pennzoil Conventional..

Thanks for the Link, Bill. The VOA does look good. Obviously you didn't read my post though...the part where I said I couldn't find anything meaningful on my search. I couldn't come up with this.
Sorry you got all emotional over my opinion.
LOL.gif

Toss a coin, the MC 5W20 gets some great reviews here. I prefer Pennzoil,its a brand thing but would use MC without hesitation.

second thought, maybe I should head back to NAPA today and buy a few cases of syn at 2.99 qt to last a while. Can't decide, because I like YB.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Go to the VOA area and LOOK for one for Pennzoil Conventional..

Thanks for the Link, Bill. The VOA does look good. Obviously you didn't read my post though...the part where I said I couldn't find anything meaningful on my search. I couldn't come up with this.
Sorry you got all emotional over my opinion.
LOL.gif

And you must of missed my PS.
grin2.gif

We try to make sure that statements made here are factual. There are many many more people who come here and read what is posted and then go to other places and quote BITOG.

This board is known to be the place for FACTS.

Your statement of being a "downgrade" was not factual.

I've put a lot of time over the years trying to keep it real.

It's all good.
cheers3.gif
Please spend more time looking back and reading some of the board.

You WILL learn something.
12.gif

Take care, Bill

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: breeves
When I run out of my stash of NAPA syn from the sale, I am going to switch to 5W20 Pennzoil YB in my 08 F150 V-6. With 3000 mile oil changes, will my engine still have the same level of protection?
Thanks

Same level of protecton...No

Ask any manufacturer and they will tell you that a syn oil will outperform a conventional oil over the same period of time.

Will your engine have great protection with YB......Yes.

**It would in fact be a downgrade. Syn oils have not only better base oils but usually better additive packages. So on that alone it is a downgrade. (Unless Napa Syn is very weak)

Last edited:
I answered this question.
breeves

Loc: North Carolina would I be better off switching to Motorcraft 5w20 blend? It's even cheaper than YB.

A coin toss IMO.

In my opinion, and only opinion I prefer synthetic oil, but it is a personal thing.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Originally Posted By: breeves
When I run out of my stash of NAPA syn from the sale, I am going to switch to 5W20 Pennzoil YB in my 08 F150 V-6. With 3000 mile oil changes, will my engine still have the same level of protection?
Thanks

Same level of protecton...No

Ask any manufacturer and they will tell you that a syn oil will outperform a conventional oil over the same period of time.

Will your engine have great protection with YB......Yes.

**It would in fact be a downgrade. Syn oils have not only better base oils but usually better additive packages. So on that alone it is a downgrade. (Unless Napa Syn is very weak)

33.gif

Any MFG? I guess they would not be wanting you to buy to more expensive oil that they make more $$ on....

Please show us the tests showing the engine lasting longer with the "more protection" syn oil provides over a 3k OCI in a Ford truck engine?

Show us the terrible UOAs with a normal motor being destroyed by conventional oil using factory recommended OCIs. (or if you don't trust UOA then show us all the broken engines)

Hate to burst your bubble but you will not find any. Millions of Ford trucks out there making hundreds of thousands of miles using ANY oil being changed (and if they were lucky, at the recommended OCI)

Again... Please show us the facts.

Not the koolaid or marketing.
20.gif

Bill

So all the claims the manufactures of the oil make are lies? All their testing is worthless and no good?

I am not saying that you could not run vehicles the same with a conv or syn oil and have them both last because you might. But will they run as efficiently? Be as clean inside? Hard to say as I am sure you and I haven't torn down engines and done exhaustive testing like the oil and car companies have.

But what is your scientific proof that conventional oil is just as good?

Last edited:
So all the claims the manufactures of the oil make are lies? All their testing is worthless and no good?

I am not saying that you could not run vehicles the same with a conv or syn oil and have them both last because you might. But will they run as efficiently? Be as clean inside? Hard to say as I am sure you and I haven't torn down engines and done exhaustive testing like the oil and car companies have.

But what is your scientific proof that conventional oil is just as good?

It's called ALL THE VEHICLES OUT THERE NOT HAVING ANY ISSUES.

They are lucky to get regular oil changes. Yet they run conventional oil (almost 90% of the vehicles out there are) and get down the road just fine.

Funny, none of the manuals I've EVER received with my vehicles over the last 30 plus years (from Ford, GM, Honda, Toyota, Datsun, VW, Dodge and Jeep) have ever said for better protection, run Syn oil.

One did say if you run syn, change it out at the same OCI as conventional.

But saying that Conventional oil is a downgrade is not accurate statement.

Esp when you are talking about a 3k OCI in a Ford V6 truck motor.

Corvette motor? Since GM was trying to get by with not having to put in a oil cooler then you NEED to run it.

A lot of difference from NEED to WANT.

The OP does not need to worry what oil he uses as long as it meets what Ford asks for.

He just needs to change it.

And I had to tear down my 3.0 Taurus TWICE in 108k miles. This was a rent-a-car (so we KNOW it had impeccable oil changes in its first 21k miles)
LOL.gif
and it was SPOTLESS inside the engine both times.

So the cleanness issue I'm not worried about either.

Bill

Last edited:
So you have no scientific facts or proof then?

Most people wouldn't know if they had issues or not. They trade their cars early to not have issues or as long as it runs who cares if is uses oil, pollutes, doesn't get as good of gas mileage as it could. Most people never test the limits of what Syn or Dino oil could do because either the body rots off the car or the tranny goes out and they junk it.

If you don't believe that all the Oil companies that make Syn oils are lairs, and that they made up their test results, then you would have to say comparing the oils on purely a chemical composition level that a Syn oil is made better than a conventional. It has impurities removed so it is a cleaner product, it flows better in the cold and protects better in high temps, It is less liekly to leave deposits, and almost always has a better additive package than a conventional oil.

Saying Conventional is as good as Syn Oil is like saying there is no better beer than any other. Beer is beer. If you can drink it than it is beer and as good as any other. Not true.

If you are not calling it a downgrade, I hope you are not calling it a upgrade. If it is not a upgrade than it is just as good. If that is the case maybe you should contact the FTC and get a class action lawsuit together and sue all the Oil companies that are making these outrageous claims. (Make sure you have some proof beforehand)

Last edited:
Oil related failures are rare. We are talking minor differences here.

Most people are happy with "getting down the road just fine"
But many people want more than that. They something better or the best.

Many people want the best cut of steak, the best chocolate bar, the best car etc....The alternatives would work "fine" but not as well. There are good, better and best choices in all things we chose to buy and use. Oil included.

So the people who buy their vehicle would not care about a problem? The new owner would not notice a sludge or engine having problems. Its only reserved for original owner?

Wonder how all those thousands of miles roll on with no problems? All those engines that once the original owner no longer owns it that it does not matter if it has a problem.

You don't have any scientific proof either.

Around here, people keep their vehicles quite a long time. And drive more than most people in the rest of the US.

I see more cars with 100k or MORE than less miles.

Quote:
It has impurities removed so it is a cleaner product, it flows better in the cold and protects better in high temps, It is less liekly to leave deposits, and almost always has a better additive package than a conventional oil.

Good one. Again, the marketing has worked on you.

"impurities"...
crackmeup2.gif
("less likely, almost always")

I've got hundreds of thousands of miles using yesterdays conventional oils. (and todays oils are MUCH better, in fact I'd even say that todays convetnional oils are prob better than yesterdays syn oils)

It gets cold here. No problems.. My sister lives 30 miles from the Canada border when it is REAL cold and her 2003 Taurus is just fine with 5w-20 CONVENTIONAL oil. Her well over 200k mile 1993 Caravan is doing fine with conventional oil.

I've been in above 110 degree desert heat with no problems. So have many others.

I've never seen a engine with taste buds. Or a brain. So trying to use " beer is beer" (which for me would be a true statement since I don't drink) does not really work.

Again. It does not MATTER in a 3k Ford V6 motor. Lets be FACTUAL.

If you are not calling it a downgrade, I hope you are not calling it a upgrade. If it is not a upgrade than it is just as good. If that is the case maybe you should contact the FTC and get a class action lawsuit together and sue all the Oil companies that are making these outrageous claims. (Make sure you have some proof beforehand)
Did I call it an upgrade?

I said it DOES NOT MATTER!

Good you ARE getting it!

Oil related failures are rare. We are talking minor differences here.

Most people are happy with "getting down the road just fine"
But many people want more than that. They something better or the best.

Many people want the best cut of steak, the best chocolate bar, the best car etc....The alternatives would work "fine" but not as well. There are good, better and best choices in all things we chose to buy and use. Oil included.

Then maybe you are not....
smirk2.gif

So are you going to sue the Oil Companies or contact the FTC and file a complaint so they will get a cease and desist order against these lying Oil Companies so they can not claim Syn oil is better and why?

The question is not "will conventional work O.K for me" The question was is the "protection level the same"
The answer has to be No.

**Would the word performance instead of protection be a better word?

Last edited:
So are you going to sue the Oil Companies or contact the FTC and file a complaint so they will get a cease and desist order against these lying Oil Companies so they can not claim Syn oil is better and why?

The question is not "will conventional work O.K for me" The question was is the "protection level the same"
The answer has to be No.

No, I don't have the sue everyone mindset.
20.gif
(it is one of the things that is killing the US)

The protection level IS the SAME.

The engine will run and last the SAME.

Millions of engines are doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back