switching to from 5w30 to 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it smart to switch to a thicker oil in the sense id go from 5w30 to 5w40. My car calls for either 5w20,30,40 but ive seen that many would rather choose 5w40 because my vehicle is a tubrocharged car and it holds up to the higher temps outputed by the turbo. My car is a genesis coupe and it has 125k miles on it and I dont know what previous oil viscosity was used, So im not sure if changing the thickness would would cause any problems.
I also see that 5w40 oils are usually API SN rated and 5w30 is API SP/ILSAC Gf6. Not sure if this makes a difference.

Should be fine, in fact there were some older Hyundai turbo engines that I believe that someone on here mentioned there was a TSB recommending 5W40 over 5W30, I'd go with a 5W40 Euro oil, MB229.5, LL-01, VW 502/505, and Porsche A40 are extensions to ACEA A3/B4 oils carrying those specifications should suit you well. Since this an older car with Multi-port fuel injection and you should already be using premium gas and 2.0L isn't exactly a small displacement engine, using an API SN+ or API SP rated oil formulated for LSPI shouldn't be necessary, and an oil that only carries API SN along with the aforementioned Euro specs will work just fine.

Should be fine, in fact there were some older Hyundai turbo engines that I believe that someone on here mentioned there was a TSB recommending 5W40 over 5W30, I'd go with a 5W40 Euro oil, MB229.5, LL-01, VW 502/505, and Porsche A40 are extensions to ACEA A3/B4 oils carrying those specifications should suit you well. Since this an older car with Multi-port fuel injection and you should already be using premium gas and 2.0L isn't exactly a small displacement engine, using an API SN+ or API SP rated oil formulated for LSPI shouldn't be necessary, and an oil that only carries API SN along with the aforementioned Euro specs will work just fine.
thanks this helps with reassurance for me. Theres just so much this and that online I cant come to a decision for the oil change coming up

Lots of 5w40's meet Euro specs that blow SN, SP or anything else API out of the water. Use without hesitation.

All my cars get Euro oils now too and they will continue to. I did put Maxlife in the daughters Fusion when we bought it but it's about to get QS Euro 5w40.

Unless you're concerned about GDI IVD or protecting a DPF or GPF, I don't see why you would go with a low SAPS oil over their full SAPS equivalents.
What is the downside? I’d be using that oil in my old BMW if I still owned it, maybe I’m wrong thinking that way. How would it be detrimental?

I have to agree with kschachn.
Euro 5W-30 API SN ACEA C3 w/ VW 504 00, MB229.5/229.51, BMW LL-04 preferably. These aren't Low SAPS, they're actually Mid SAPS. HTHS min 3,5 mPas (some are even 3,7) and roughly 12 cSt at 100°C. OP lives in Cali, so low-sulphur fuel and no need for high SAPS levels.

I have to agree with kschachn.
Euro 5W-30 API SN ACEA C3 w/ VW 504 00, MB229.5/229.51, BMW LL-04 preferably. These aren't Low SAPS, they're actually Mid SAPS. HTHS min 3,5 mPas (some are even 3,7) and roughly 12 cSt at 100°C. OP lives in Cali, so low-sulphur fuel and no need for high SAPS levels.
Why not the contrary view, mid-SAPS is still a compromise and the ad packs are still known to not hold up to abuse as much as their full SAPS counter part, mid-SAPS specs mostly exist to protect particulate filters then later they were spec'd for GDI engines because they're supposed to help prevent IVD, although high sulfur fuel is disappearing in the US, the fact that mid SAPS oils aren't able to hold up to long drain intervals with high sulfur fuel shows their inherent weakness, so why accept the compromise of an oil with a lower capacity to hold up to acids when you really see none of the benefits the oil was originally intended to provide.

Reactions: SR5
Why not the contrary view, mid-SAPS is still a compromise and the ad packs are still known to not hold up to abuse as much as their full SAPS counter part, mid-SAPS specs mostly exist to protect particulate filters then later they were spec'd for GDI engines because they're supposed to help prevent IVD, although high sulfur fuel is disappearing in the US, the fact that mid SAPS oils aren't able to hold up to long drain intervals with high sulfur fuel shows their inherent weakness, so why accept the compromise of an oil with a lower capacity to hold up to acids when you really see none of the benefits the oil was originally intended to provide.
VW 504 00 approval is superior to 502 00 in every aspect except TBN retention. 504 00 oils "hold up to abuse" much better than a 502 00 oil.

Since you mention low-sulfur fuels, what else influences the ability "to hold up to long drain intervals"? Yes if you're in some backwards location that has truly poor fuel with a high sulfur content the 502 00 oils would be appropriate but not here in the US nor in Europe or most of the developed world.

Your whole argument is based on the specter of high sulfur fuels which for much of the world just isn't an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back