switching to blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone see any problems switching from conventional to a blend at 16500 miles on '07 Silverado pickup? Oil change interval is around 3000 miles on the conventional. Truck only pulls a boat once in a while. I did not want there to cause a problen with seals or such if I switch. Any thoughts?

Going from a GP II to a GP II/III blend should give you an increase in base oil stamina. I don't see any association with a blend and any seal problems. Modern oils use/need seal conditioners. As you go up the scale from GP II to GP III, to GP IV, you need/get more/different seal conditioners.

I have used nothing but synthetics since 1988 and I have never had an oil leak, or even any seeping around valve cover gaskets.

I have a 2008 Silverado. I switched it to Mobil 1 full synthetic and a Wix filter as soon as I got it.

MY PERSONAL OPINION, WHAT I BELIEVE, based upon several hundred hours of UOA research, and also upon VOA, factory PDS, and folk that I actually know that use it, Valvoline MaxLife is the best of the blends. It even advertises and is known by reputation to prevent deal deterioration.

Originally Posted By: chevydude
Does anyone see any problems switching from conventional to a blend at 16500 miles on '07 Silverado pickup? Oil change interval is around 3000 miles on the conventional. Truck only pulls a boat once in a while. I did not want there to cause a problen with seals or such if I switch. Any thoughts?

I've been using GREAT blends ever since I introduced a 2006 Honda Accord 'to my fleet'. Well Mobil 5000 is said to be a dino but we all know HIGH QUALITY blends at current API level means a great oil so I quickly switched to Mobil 7500 syn blend and my car has loved me ever since.

I did have a few 'mistakes' with Mobil 1 5w-20 and Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 just last year but it was Motor Craft syn blend and its close but superior cousin Conoco Super All-season synthetic blend..I am on OCI #2 of Valvoline Maxlife and my mileage is right at 75000 now!

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
Going from a GP II to a GP II/III blend should give you an increase in base oil stamina. I don't see any association with a blend and any seal problems. Modern oils use/need seal conditioners. As you go up the scale from GP II to GP III, to GP IV, you need/get more/different seal conditioners.

I have used nothing but synthetics since 1988 and I have never had an oil leak, or even any seeping around valve cover gaskets.

I have a 2008 Silverado. I switched it to Mobil 1 full synthetic and a Wix filter as soon as I got it.

MY PERSONAL OPINION, WHAT I BELIEVE, based upon several hundred hours of UOA research, and also upon VOA, factory PDS, and folk that I actually know that use it, Valvoline MaxLife is the best of the blends. It even advertises and is known by reputation to prevent deal deterioration.

Enjoyed reading your post! I went from a straight synthetic blend to a "high mileage" max life synthetic blend which we know has some PAO which is a group IV. Would this not also help in the oil stamina along with Zinc as well which I believe high mileage oils have as well?

Last edited:
As far as I know, all current readily available SM oils still have zinc and phosphorus. Valvoline chose to keep the GF-4 levels of zinc and phosphorus and added 300 ppm moly as an anti wear/FM. The Valvoline MaxLife blend and MaxLife synthetic have to heavy base oils to meet GF-4 energy conserving requirements.

Mobil 1 HM oils upped their ZDDP to 1000, which exceeds GF-4 emission equipment protection(cats). They also are to heavy to meet GF-4 energy conserving requirements. I forget the moly content of M1 HM, but I am thinking in the 70-90 range.

I think the GP-IV content of MaxLife is primarily to increase the VI thus not requiring as many VII(copolymers) and to help with the HTHS. This for sure increases stamina. The 10W-30 MaxLife blend has a HTHS of 3.3 and, from UOA's, is good in shear stability.

As far as I know, all current readily available SM oils still have zinc and phosphorus. Valvoline chose to keep the GF-4 levels of zinc and phosphorus and added 300 ppm moly as an anti wear/FM. The Valvoline MaxLife blend and MaxLife synthetic have to heavy base oils to meet GF-4 energy conserving requirements.

Mobil 1 HM oils upped their ZDDP to 1000, which exceeds GF-4 emission equipment protection(cats). They also are to heavy to meet GF-4 energy conserving requirements. I forget the moly content of M1 HM, but I am thinking in the 70-90 range.

I think the GP-IV content of MaxLife is primarily to increase the VI thus not requiring as many VII(copolymers) and to help with the HTHS. This for sure increases stamina. The 10W-30 MaxLife blend has a HTHS of 3.3 and, from UOA's, is good in shear stability.

Cool, but I thought the Max-life 5w-20 I use was NOT energy conserving?

Last edited:
The 10W-30 MaxLife blend has a HTHS of 3.3 and, from UOA's, is good in shear stability.

Where can I find HTHS values for Valvoline oils? I don't think that I have seen them on their page. Thanks.

Quote:
Cool, but I thought the Max-life 5w-20 I use was NOT energy conserving?

That is correct.
thumbsup2.gif
None of the MaxLife series are rated as energy conserving. They do meet the cat protection specks of GF-4, but not the energy conserving specks of GF-4. They cannot say they are a GF-4 oil since they do not meet all GF-4 specks.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: IcebergS2000
The 10W-30 MaxLife blend has a HTHS of 3.3 and, from UOA's, is good in shear stability.

Where can I find HTHS values for Valvoline oils? I don't think that I have seen them on their page. Thanks.

I called the number at the bottom of this list. This is the information they gave me for HTHS of their oils. I wasn't interested in any of the 20 grade oils so I didn't write them down.

Premium Conventional
5w30: 3.0
10w30: 3.0
10w40: >3.5

Durablend
10w30: 3.0

Maxlife (blend)
5w30: 3.2
10w30: 3.3

Synpower
10W30: 3.0

Maxlife Synthetic
5w30: 3.5
10w30: 3.6

Valvoline Products
1-800-832-6825

Hey Frank, since you are so fond of Maxlife oil, ever thought of trying their 20W-50 in your fleet?

No worries. Many "conventional" oils are already "blends". The term synthetic blend is more of a marketing indicator than anything else. For most companies it means and oil which is somewhat better than their conventional oil, but even that isn't always true.

In any case, if that is what you want to do then go for it.

addyguy said:
Hey Frank, since you are so fond of Maxlife oil, ever thought of trying their 20W-50 in your fleet? [/quote

Sit down, fasten your belt, and yes it is me.
smirk2.gif
With a 100C of 19.3,
shocked2.gif
40C of 170,
crazy2.gif
only 30% synthetic, that stuff is way to thick for any of my applications.

I think MaxLife is the best in its category. If for some reason I had a vehicle where I used a 30 or 40 grade conventional oil, it would be MaxLife(yeah, I know it is a blend but a 70% II, 30% III)

I have been accused of being a thicker is better type. I am actually a best for application whatever that may be type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back