switching to 15W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been discussed in the diesel section but I wanted to get opinions here. I'm making the switch to 15W40 from 10W30 in my 2.7 Tacoma next week. I just want to give a thicker oil a try as it's getting hotter in my area.

Rotella T is readily available at stores or at two local oil change shops. Convenient, convenient, convenient.

Delvac 1300 is not as readily available though one shop has it in stock sometimes.

Is there any reason not to go with Rotella? I just don't see much about it on the forums.

From what I have seen in VOA/UOA, rotella's add pack isn't quite up to delvac 1300 or pennzoil LL. Delo 400 and pennzoil LL use a better basestock than rotella.

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
From what I have seen in VOA/UOA, rotella's add pack isn't quite up to delvac 1300 or pennzoil LL. Delo 400 and pennzoil LL use a better basestock than rotella.

However, if he is switching to the heavy duty engine oil merely to get to a 15w40, would the Rotella not have an add pack and base oil at least as good as a typical passenger car motor oil?

Currently using Havoline 10W30 dino on 5K changes if you're looking for a dino to compare to....

Would like to continue on 5k changes when I switch to the 15W40.

Would the Rotella have higher detergent/additive qualities than the Havoline?

Any HDD oil will have better detergent/dispersant abilities than the typical conventional PCMO. Rotella T and Delvac 1300 are blends of Group I and II. Pennzoil LL and delo 400 are Group II.

Advamce Auto and most Wal-Marts I've seen always have Delvac as well as Delo in the gallon jugs. I can't believe your not finding it. I saw bunches of it today. Wally's even has Delo in quart bottle too.

I'm not taking a position, though.

I know, Jelly will recommend Rotella.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
Advamce Auto and most Wal-Marts I've seen always have Delvac as well as Delo in the gallon jugs. I can't believe your not finding it. I saw bunches of it today. Wally's even has Delo in quart bottle too.

I'm not taking a position, though.

I know, Jelly will recommend Rotella.
grin.gif

Well, things are getting interesting in the 15w-40 HDEO world...

My only issue with Rotella was its "poor" pour point (-15F), but now Rotella has a pour point around -40F. Now although that doesn't tell me a great deal in and of itself, I'd bet 'ya that its cold pumping specs are also now much improved.

Previously, if the engine was in good operating condition, I've always recommened either Delvac 1300 or Delo 400, with the nod usually going to Delvac because of its better additive package. BUT, Delo now has moly in its additive package, and with a slightly superior basestock (IMHO), and now a pretty much identical additive package, it's pretty much a toss up.

My "love" of Pennzoil Long-Life has always been because of its ability to reduce consumption in neglected and older engines. Yes, it has a great additive package and great base oil, but if the engine is in good operating condition and not using a great deal of oil, I'd recommend either Delo 400 or Delvac 1300.

Seriously though, any top-name HDEO (Delvac, Delo, Long-Life, Rotella) will offer you great engine protection and cleanliness. Pick whichever one you want...
grin.gif

[ April 25, 2004, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

Jelly, What?? Delo now has Moly?? How much and when did they do this?

My data sheets are kinda old.

I recetnly switched from my synthetic 10W30 to the Schaeffers blend 15W40. Only been 500 miles but it appears to be doing what I wanted, lower consumption and less seepage. Past UOA have been great with this oil and hopefully after another 4500 mine will be also. Just pointing out that Schaeffer's makes a product that was not mentioned above.

After 6k using a Coastal Group III 10w-30 during the winter months(sorry no UOA), and then back to 10w-30 Chevron 3K, I just today went to Chevron Delo 15w-40 for the warm weather.
Chevron is more than Group II but not quite Group III, using their ISO-SYN partial hydrocracking process according to this board.
As a result, I think it's the best value there is for the money. $6.47gal. today at WalMart.

[ April 25, 2004, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Lubricious ]

I'm also running the Schaeffers 15W-40 Blend in my 00 Wrangler 2.5L I4, 98 Wrangler 4.0 I6, 98 Monte Carlo 3.8L V6 and soon to be in my 02 5.7L LS1 Camaro SS. The 15W-40's additive package is simply robust to say the least.

Moly 169
Phosphorus 1429
Zinc 1405
Calc 3705
Cst 14.64
TBN 12

I switched all of my street vehicles to 15w40 a year ago.I've been very happy with how things look during the oil change,and my fuel economy didn't suffer.I also just switched my race car over to 15w40 from 10w40.Easier to keep all vehicles on the same oil and filter.After running out of luck on finding my usual Quaker State 15w40,
mad.gif
I'm using Mobil Delvac 1300 and Super Tech ST8A filters.

quote:

Originally posted by Ryan00TJ:
I'm also running the Schaeffers 15W-40 Blend in my 00 Wrangler 2.5L I4, 98 Wrangler 4.0 I6, 98 Monte Carlo 3.8L V6 and soon to be in my 02 5.7L LS1 Camaro SS. The 15W-40's additive package is simply robust to say the least.

Moly 169
Phosphorus 1429
Zinc 1405
Calc 3705
Cst 14.64
TBN 12

****! That package does look good! Very tempting!

Why not mention Castrol RX 15w-40? My mechanic uses it in the Euro cars he services. It kept my Mom's 2.0 Passat from buring oil for 8 years and 60,000 miles. Not a drop consumed in an engine that is know for burning. 6 month changes in city driving.

http://castrolusa.com/products/default.aspprod_mp=1

ps I took Jelly's advice on a 2000 VW 2.0 that would come to me every 6 months totally dry until I decided to do the changes. Pennzoil LL now, Rotella T Syn before, it reduced consumption and hopefully the Pennzoil will do even better until Fall when SUV/D1 makes it in.

quote:

Rotella T and Delvac 1300 are blends of Group I and II. Pennzoil LL and delo 400 are Group II.

How do you find out what group an oil is?

Sometimes an MSDS sheet will state the basestocks......sometimes you can get the info from tech support.........or sometimes, it even states the basestock on the bottle(like pennzoil LL or chevron delo 400).

quote:

Pennzoil LL and delo 400 are Group II.

I believe you will find the MSDS for the Pennzoil LL shows it uses a mixture of base oils . No doubt it probably uses some group II but blended base oils is the norm for most of the 15w-40 HDEO's and this includes some group I . Whether or not it's the group I+ type I don't know .

Same deal with Pennzoils High Mileage oil , it's not all group II from what I can tell by the MSDS .

Not picking on Pennzoil here , all the makers do it to a degree .

Just noticed a Mobil 1 Fastlube not far from my neighborhood. I called them up and said I was interested in Delvac 1300 15w40. Guess what? They don't stock it either. They've got the 5W40 Synthetic but no 15W40.

They do carry one 15W40..... Rotella, amazing. That's why I mentioned the convenience of getting an oil change with Rotella. Even the Fastlube Center that is named for a Mobil product carries Rotella instead of the Mobil product.

Sure, I could find the Delvac or Delo at Wal-Mart and take it to the oil change shop. But, if I wanted to take the time to go to Wally World (which I don't) and buy the oil, I would just change it myself (don't really have an interest there either).

I guess Rotella wins by default. Strange.

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:

quote:

Pennzoil LL and delo 400 are Group II.

I believe you will find the MSDS for the Pennzoil LL shows it uses a mixture of base oils . No doubt it probably uses some group II but blended base oils is the norm for most of the 15w-40 HDEO's and this includes some group I . Whether or not it's the group I+ type I don't know .

Same deal with Pennzoils High Mileage oil , it's not all group II from what I can tell by the MSDS .

Not picking on Pennzoil here , all the makers do it to a degree .

"Developed with 100 percent Pennzoil Purebase® base oil, Pennzoil Long-Life Heavy Duty Engine Oil is also an extra high performance engine oil designed for diesel and gasoline engines that require the use of a premium heavy duty engine oil. Long-Life was one of the first oils to exceed the stringent performance requirements of the API CI-4 classification, Global DHD-1, Cummins CES 20078, and it has received Mack EO-N PREMIUM PLUS approval. Pennzoil Long-Life Heavy Duty Engine Oil provides excellent protection in diesel engines for both on- and off-highway applications, including EGR diesel engines manufactured after October 2002."

Sure sounds like a group II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back