Switching Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
i own a 92' Mazda B2200 which currently uses mineral oil for everything (engine, tranmission, rear differential). uses 10w30 for the engine, no idea for the transmission and rear end. i was wondering what would be the best synthetic oil to use, and if i should even switch? would it be better to just keep using the original stuff? any clue which would be the best synthetic oil to use?

welcome2.gif
to BITOG

How many miles on the vehicle? How often do you change the oil now? What kind of service does the vehicle see, i.e., mostly city driving or highway driving. What oil are you using now?

For a car of that age, I would just add one quart of synthetic with the rest conventional oil. Any synthetic of the correct viscosity would be fine.

Those engines are easy on oil and a good design I would keep using the Dino oil and change it out at 5K miles or less, and use the cheapest SM rate Synthetic you can find in the cooler temps and change it at 7500K Miles. Your truck will have a long life!
grin2.gif

sorry i haven't logged on in awhile, to busy driving my truck!

there are 130000 miles on the vehicle, the oil has been changed every 3000 miles by the previous owner but he's used nothing but stock 10w30 for all the parts cause he was a cheapo, mostly city driving and highway every weekend to see my father, and of COURSE its a manual tranny. you mean to tell me they make other transmissions?

There are many factors:

1. Do you not mind changing the oil at 3,000 miles or do you want to go longer

2. Is good oil good enough or are you the kind of person that wants better than that for your vehicles?

3.Are you looking for better cold weather performance? Better feel and performance in the tranny, diff etc?

4. Do you plan on driving this truck into the ground or keep it for a short time?

Amsoil is very good and can cover all your fluid needs. Switching them all to Syn fluid would give you a smoother working truck and squeeze some mpg improvements out too.

Valvoline Maxlife and Mobil 1 HM are very good also.

Last edited:
1. i would prefer to change it every 3000 just to make sure the thing lasts as long as humanly possible

2. i want the best oil i can possibly put in it to make sure it performs its best. i know its going to cost alot, im willing to fork the money over.

3. most definitely. the thing is a hard starter in the morning and synthetic will help that infinitely.

4. i plan on keeping it until it does not drive any longer, but i take care of it better than anything i've ever owned.

my friend went all royal purple with his GTI and said the performance in everything was very noticeable. his engine is quieter and runs cooler and his tranny floats into gear like butter and he even gets a little better mpg. so i was going to put royal purple in everything, but i heard that they use some type of graphite in the oil that can cause problems with alot of things.

Originally Posted By: LHOswald
1. i would prefer to change it every 3000 just to make sure the thing lasts as long as humanly possible

2. i want the best oil i can possibly put in it to make sure it performs its best. i know its going to cost alot, im willing to fork the money over.

3. most definitely. the thing is a hard starter in the morning and synthetic will help that infinitely.

4. i plan on keeping it until it does not drive any longer, but i take care of it better than anything i've ever owned.

my friend went all royal purple with his GTI and said the performance in everything was very noticeable. his engine is quieter and runs cooler and his tranny floats into gear like butter and he even gets a little better mpg. so i was going to put royal purple in everything, but i heard that they use some type of graphite in the oil that can cause problems with alot of things.

1. I won't argue that point, but it could be wasteful.
2. Good luck finding it, best oil is based on your observations and opinions searching this site. Everyone has an opinion and a favorite oil. We're all looking for "The very best oil".
3. Yes synthetic aids in better cold start protection. But it has been argued, my opinion is it helps.
4. It will certainly help extend its life, by how long? No one will ever know.

Good luck and welcome to BITOG.

Take a look under the oil cap. Is there any sludge? Thats a pretty good sign if the previous owner took good care of it.

I`d just keep on doing what you`re doing. Use a top notch dino in the engine (Pennzoil yb or Valvoline wb).

Last edited:
Recommendation: Penzoil Platinum. Once you go synthetic you will never go back. I really think PP is the best "bang for ur buck" synthetic oil on the market right now. Leave it in there for 6k miles and forget about it. Tons of excellent UOA results of PP in mechanically sound cars with no leaks.

I have a Honda and it loves PP. Idles smooth. More slippery throttle response. Quieter motor. The car is just more fluid. I asked myself if it was placebo cuz on every oil change,of course, it will run better. But i know my car very well having driven it for the entire 100,000+ miles. It has never sounded and felt this way before. Trust me...once you go synthetic..you wont go back to conventional.

Oil Change Routine: Buy PP or whatever synthetic you want by the jug at WalMart. Get a quality oil filter (not Fram). Bring it to a mechanic and pay him $10 to change it. I personally pay $8. All over Los Angeles they will do it for $10. Done. See ya later! Sleep good at night. Wait 6k miles. Repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back