Switching Oils to Synthetic: is weather a factor?

I have a 1.8 liter 2011 corolla automatic and have just over 100,000 miles on it. I've been using 0w-20 full synthetic oil but I feel like I need to switch to a high mileage oil to protect seals as they get older and what not.....my question is what weight and brand do you all recommend? if it help any I'm in southern Ontario and winters are mild mid 30's but summers are hot. thanks
Betzy

Valvoline High Mileage 5W-20 should work good for you. May i ask why do you feel like you need high mileage oil? I got 110,000+ miles on my car and i just use regular full synthetic.

At one time GM said to use synthetic (0W-30 or 5W-30) in extreme cold in their manual. The line between synthetic and "conventional" has been blurred with most oils being a blend. Pumpability and pour points are lower than they used to be. That being said I use Mobil 1 0W-20 in winter here. VML is a good choice either way, but if you have no leaks you don't need it...

I have a 1.8 liter 2011 corolla automatic and have just over 100,000 miles on it. I've been using 0w-20 full synthetic oil but I feel like I need to switch to a high mileage oil to protect seals as they get older and what not.....my question is what weight and brand do you all recommend? if it help any I'm in southern Ontario and winters are mild mid 30's but summers are hot. thanks
Betzy
Is the Corolla using any oil between oil changes? I would stick with 0w-20 or 0w-30 year round.

If you are not having any leaks or consumption issues I would just stay with what has worked so far. Use HM oils when you start to have issues. You may never need it.

There is zero information in the original post that would lead to the recommendation of going to thicker or HM oil.
Stick with 0W-20 unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise.
If you must there are synthetics that are also HM.

Ambient temperature has only a small effect on oil temperature. Phoenix may be 118 degrees but the engine temperature is 210 degrees F. RPM has a much higher effect and can push oil temperatures to the 230 range. Most performance cars and some tow rigs have auxiliary oil coolers build into the radiator to bring the oil temp down to the 210 F range. However, if you are worried, move to a 5w30 in the summer.

Aurora Ontario does not have mild winters. It's not uncommon to see it below 0F overnight and have many days in a row where it doesn't get to the freezing mark.

So based on that, I would say to stick with 0w20.

If you are concerned why not just switch a high mileage synthetic that costs the exact same as what you have been using?

Valvoline full synthetic 0w20 and full synthetic 0w20 HM are priced the same at most every store I visit.

For a 2011 Corolla with the 1.8 Litre 2ZR-FE engine, Toyota Australia say you can use 0W20 or 5W30. Given your cold climate, I would also be happy with 0W30.

No need for a HM oil without a problem that needs fixing, and even then I just go up a viscosity grade myself. Just keep using a name brand synthetic like you have been doing.

Back