Switching oil on my 5.0?

So I've been using brand name oils (mostly Pennzoil Platinum and M1) on my 2011 F150 5.0 since I bought it at 30k miles. Currently have 130k and still runs great with just a little rattle (that has been consistent since day 1). Any reason to keep paying premium prices for the brand names? Thinking about switching to Kirkland synthetic, but I do follow the IOLM which results in approximately yearly changes at around 8500 miles. From everything I can tell this oil is as good as any- but is it? I don't really want to shoot myself in the foot here when I could just as easily continue with the big brands for not much of a price difference in the long run.

Here is the Oil technical data Kirkland synthetic. 5W20

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220509-171429.jpg
    Screenshot_20220509-171429.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 57
Probably not. But that engine isn't direct injected and I'd probably use pennzoil platinum 0w-40 or 15w-40 diesel oil instead. 0w-40 is only $24.99 shipped at wm.com. I use 15w-40 for 9-11k oci's as it's a cheap but well spec'd oil. Warren oil isn't as cheap as it used to be. Super tech syn was like $15.16 and kirkland was like $13 a jug. They're not anymore and have crept up way too much. PP euro is still the same price so the gap has closed a good amount.

8.5k miles might be too short in your F150
Get a sample around 8k and wait for the report (TBN included) then decide.

I agree with @ZeeOSix

I Haven't seen Kirkland oil at Costco for many months but heard it is $40 /10 qt now.
I bought some at $30 /10 qt.

Recently SuperTech was $20/5qt and M1 EP the "20K miles oil" was $24.x/5qt at Wal-Mart.

I would not consider $4/yr a "premium price". Also for some reason if I wanted to do a 8500 miles oci, I would trust the EP over Kirkland. I use PP, Kirkland for 5-6K miles and if I feel lazy, I use EP for 7-8K miles oci.

So I've been using brand name oils (mostly Pennzoil Platinum and M1) on my 2011 F150 5.0 since I bought it at 30k miles. Currently have 130k and still runs great with just a little rattle (that has been consistent since day 1). Any reason to keep paying premium prices for the brand names? Thinking about switching to Kirkland synthetic, but I do follow the IOLM which results in approximately yearly changes at around 8500 miles. From everything I can tell this oil is as good as any- but is it? I don't really want to shoot myself in the foot here when I could just as easily continue with the big brands for not much of a price difference in the long run.
No harm switching oil brands all mentioned in the thread are reputable. If 8500 or 1-yr oci is your thing all mentioned oil capable of 10k runs. You dont have fuel dilution, auto start-stop or turbochargers to worry about.

Back