Switching from PUP 5/30...M1 esp or ep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks, have been reading for the last 4 hrs, until my eyes bled...lol New account also as switched emails and lost old account.

Up until 3-4 years ago, had always used M1 syn, and then EP in my Volvos and other cars. Always had good luck, no oil use, very clean engines inside. I then bought 2 Volvos with the T6 3.0l turbo 6, back 4 years ago. They called for a 5/30 a5/b5 so I switched to PUP at the time. The higher mile one(125k miles) started to use a bit of oil between changes recently , so swapped out the oil trap as maint. even though was working fine. There was slight sludge inside, more than I would have expected as oil was changed every 5k miles max. Its still using about the same. Now this may be caused as oil has been reformulated and has a lower flash point? Oil is also always very dirty looking when changed.

So I'm going to switch to M1 , but trying to decide on whats best. Not really concerned with cost/warranty/fuel mileage. What I AM concerned about is wear and protection. Both cars get run hard, and the lower mile one(40k miles-Polestar) gets tracked couple times a year. Both get oil changes at 4-5 K miles. From what I have read, esp might be a better choice, as it seems to be more shear stable? And the VW 504/507/C30 rating also seems to point to a better oil? I can't find a flashpoint for the esp though for some reason.....Thanks for any recommendations.

Last edited:
Hi Folks, have been reading for the last 4 hrs, until my eyes bled...lol New account also as switched emails and lost old account.

Up until 3-4 years ago, had always used M1 syn, and then EP in my Volvos and other cars. Always had good luck, no oil use, very clean engines inside. I then bought 2 Volvos with the T6 3.0l turbo 6, back 4 years ago. They called for a 5/30 a5/b5 so I switched to PUP at the time. The higher mile one(125k miles) started to use a bit of oil between changes recently , so swapped out the oil trap as maint. even though was working fine. There was slight sludge inside, more than I would have expected as oil was changed every 5k miles max. Its still using about the same. Now this may be caused as oil has been reformulated and has a lower flash point? Oil is also always very dirty looking when changed.

So I'm going to switch to M1 , but trying to decide on whats best. Not really concerned with cost/warranty/fuel mileage. What I AM concerned about is wear and protection. Both cars get run hard, and the lower mile one(40k miles-Polestar) gets tracked couple times a year. Both get oil changes at 4-5 K miles. From what I have read, esp might be a better choice, as it seems to be more shear stable? And the VW 504/507/C30 rating also seems to point to a better oil? I can't find a flashpoint for the esp though for some reason.....Thanks for any recommendations.
Yeah, ESP is heavy W30.
If you doing track, Mobil1 0W40 FS or Castrol Edge 0W40.

I made the change from PUP to ESP, and I'm not looking back. IMO is the best of the XOM offerings.

I'm not sure changing oils will help. Your regimen is pretty solid with a stout PUP every 5K miles. As for ESP and/or VW504.00, it is no guarantee to stop deposits etc. In the video below, the "humblemechanic" (VW enthusiast that used to be an ASE mechanic for VW) uses it in this GolfR. 10K miles and two oil changes later, there's already some deposit buildup. Not a Volvo, i know, but just for consideration.

BTW, he says 0W-20 but mis-spoke and used 0W-30 as cleared up in the comments section.

Last edited:
I'm not sure changing oils will help. Your regimen is pretty solid with a stout PUP every 5K miles. As for ESP and/or VW504.00, it is no guarantee to stop deposits etc. In the video below, the "humblemechanic" (VW enthusiast that used to be an ASE mechanic for VW) uses it in this GolfR. 10K miles and two oil changes later, there's already some deposit buildup. Not a Volvo, i know, but just for consideration.

BTW, he says 0W-20 but mis-spoke and used 0W-30 as cleared up in the comments section.

Humblemechanic is using "eyeballing" methodology. Lubrizol did study and came with conclusion that VW502.00 leaves much more deposits than VW504.00/507.00 of same brand (cannot remember which brand was, if they stated at all). That study was posted here looooong time ago.

Ya, but I'm not direct inject. I'm taking deposits, like say in PCV system.

Right. And you're currently using an excellent oil every 5k miles and seeing enough sludge in a non-TGDi that it makes you want to switch to a different oil. I just don't know if any oil will make a significant difference at that interval. But it won't hurt anything to try, either. All the best and good luck.

Well switched both cars over so will see how it goes. They are both quieter. I always found Mobil 1 noisier, when using it years ago.

You have a demonstrated problem with actual mechanical shear that you’re worried about? And what do you mean in regards to “protection”, what protection are you worried about? The oil’s approvals and specifications likely address whatever concerns you have over protection.

And I’m really not sure how flash point is relevant, are you worried the oil will burst into flames in the presence of an ignition source?

You have a demonstrated problem with actual mechanical shear that you’re worried about? And what do you mean in regards to “protection”, what protection are you worried about? The oil’s approvals and specifications likely address whatever concerns you have over protection.

And I’m really not sure how flash point is relevant, are you worried the oil will burst into flames in the presence of an ignition source?
Go troll someone else, it doesn't work on me :cool:

I follow him on the social media etc and saw that as well, was interesting that there was much of any deposit at 10K miles using
Humblemechanic is using "eyeballing" methodology. Lubrizol did study and came with conclusion that VW502.00 leaves much more deposits than VW504.00/507.00 of same brand (cannot remember which brand was, if they stated at all). That study was posted here looooong time ago.
But wouldn't the specific car/system need to be taken in to account? I've seen Charles' videos as well and did note on this one the 10K/2 change build up was more than I would have thought you would get with any kind of oil for that matter! Also keep in mind per my comment that his R is tuned and pushing quite a bit of boost/power/etc. over stock which should factor in as well so maybe if he was running a 502 oil he would have even had more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back