Switching from M1, need info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I'm new to this board. I've been reading a lot of threads over the past few days & learned a lot but it's hard to sift through all the info. I've used M1 in all the different Honda's I've owned in the past 8 years & wanted to try something different.

I currently have a Civic with a JDM GSR (B18C DOHC VTEC) swap. I was surprised to learn about the M1 being a group 3 base.
Also, from past experiences I do think M1 tends to burn easier & am curious to see if my valvetrain quiets down a little with another brand (even with the recent valve adj I did).

5-30 is recommended oil.
I was wondering if I got my hands on some german castrol 0-30, how that would perform against the m1 & if anyone here uses GC in a B-series motor?

Penzoil Plat?
Quaker state Q?
Castrol edge?
etc..

Also, are all of the above considered group3, group4 etc?

Thanks

PP seems to be the most popular right now..

I'm switching from M1 to PP in one car, but leaving M1 in the other.

You can't go wrong with any of the above...

I ran M1 5W30 in my Infiniti G20 that has the infamous SR20DE engine in it, for a year. I noticed that when I was driving on the highway at 70MPH or higher, I could hear a slight "whine" from the engine. After doing some research I ended up here and decided to give a few other oils a try thanks to the suggestions of others.

After M1 I ran Castrol Syntec 5W30 for about 2 oil changes (8000 miles-ish). The noise had completely disappeared from the engine at speeds over 70MPH and everything was very smooth it seemed.

I had no complaints with the Castrol Syntec other than the price, so I then switched to PP 5W30 just to give it a try. It too seemed to run great in the engine, no noise while on the highway like with M1, and I was getting slightly better mileage with the PP than with m1 or Castrol Syntec.

Once again though I switched due to Wal-Mart being out of stock on PP when I needed to do an oil change. I almost left Wal-Mart to go and try to find some PP at the Auto Zone down the street, but remembered a few posts on here stating that the new "Q" Advanced Full Synth from Quaker State was pretty good. I picked up a 5QT bottle of it for like $15 (even cheaper than PP, yay!) and put that in. It too was very smooth, no noise over 70MPH on the higway and offered maybe .5 to .75MPG better than the M1 or Castrol (hard to say I cannot find my mileage log).

Sorry I cannot answer your question as to what oils you listed are what groups, I am not that up on what is what.

Just thought I would post my amateur experiences with a few of the oils you listed.

If you don't have any brand preference, you might want to look into Valvoline SynPower, or Q Horsepower Synthetic. The reason I say that is that both are respected synthetics on here and both have rebates available on them right now from their manufacturer's website ($5 rebate on SynPower, and $10 rebate on Q Horsepower). This way you can try something else out, and save a few bucks while doing it

Originally Posted By: sicko
If you don't have any brand preference, you might want to look into Valvoline SynPower, or Q Horsepower Synthetic. The reason I say that is that both are respected synthetics on here and both have rebates available on them right now from their manufacturer's website ($5 rebate on SynPower, and $10 rebate on Q Horsepower). This way you can try something else out, and save a few bucks while doing it

Good point. One could go nuts with the QS...
cool.gif

If you're looking for an oil that deadens noise, German Castrol is as good as 30-weights get.

Another alternative is BMW High Performance Synthetic 5w-30. Very robust oil, just as thick as GC when hot, with a bit more moly if memory serves. Honda engines like moly.

However, if you're looking for performance, any name brand synthetic will do just fine for you. Remember, that engine will run all day on a good dino.

Don't fear Group III, and don't get caught up in the "true synthetic" fuss. Pennzoil Platinum uses a lot of Group III as well. Modern Group III base stocks are just as good as, or even better than, Group IV and V.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
If you're looking for an oil that deadens noise, German Castrol is as good as 30-weights get.

Just curious, why do you call this a 30 weight? I thought the first number was the weight & second the viscocity..

Last edited:
The first number is the "winter" rating. That tells you how much it thickens when it's cold.

The second number is the "weight", which tells you the viscosity when it's hot.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
There`s always RP,one of my fave synths which is a grp IV/V.

I've heard some scary things about RP, I'm afraid of the stuff.

Did you read
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1422831#Post1422831

When people spout that the "oil" did it, I personally would ask more questions. Honestly I have never used RP so I am not defending it.

Now to the question
I started using M1 had valvetrain noise. switched to castrol syntec had much less valvetrain noise. Went to PP still some faint noise but the best out of the 3 for my car and my ears. There is no scientific proof that it is a better oil. It just sounds quieter to me than the other 2.

Redline deserves some consideration. I have run it in a few B18's in the past with good results. Lots of Moly in the 5w-30. Its expensive but one of the best Group V ( some IV) oils out there. Its in a total different class along with Amsoil which would also be another stout one ( esp SSO!).

Originally Posted By: HatchSpeeD
I was surprised to learn about the M1 being a group 3 base.

Penzoil Plat?
Quaker state Q?
Castrol edge?
etc..

Thanks

You have been seriously misinformed. Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State Q, and Castrol Syntec all use Group III oils for their base stock. They "may" have small amounts of Group IV as part of an additive package.

M1 5W-30 (like all M1 motor oil) has substantial amounts of Group IV/V base stocks, probably in the neighborhood of 40% (depending on the grade). At one time, M1 did not contain any Group III base stock, but there are very few motor oils with 100% Group IV or higher base stock anymore, and none of them are API certified Energy Saving Formulas to the best of my knowledge.

Castrol Edge is about on par with Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil in terms of percent of Group IV Base stock, additive package, and ability to go 15,000 miles OCI. Unfortunately, Edge is priced quite high in the 5-quart jugs compared to M1 or M1 EP, although some Walmart's are dumping it at bargain prices.

I think the current Valvoline SynPower is an improvement over their formula just a few months ago. It's as quiet in my Honda as Pennzoil Platinum and nearly as inexpensive. I like the NOACK % of 10.5 for the 5w-30, and TBN is decent at 8.3.

Originally Posted By: tuckman
I started using M1 had valvetrain noise. switched to castrol syntec had much less valvetrain noise. Went to PP still some faint noise but the best out of the 3 for my car and my ears. There is no scientific proof that it is a better oil. It just sounds quieter to me than the other 2.

That was my experience with it also, in my minivan. M1 was pretty loud, in 5W-20, as specified by Chrysler. PP worked wonderful in 5W-20 (no noise). Valvoline SynPower also ran great, but I ran it in a 5W-30 grade, so it'd be unfair to compare noise levels to the others.

Pretty much any conventional I've run in the van, including 5W-20 has run quiet in it. The Mobil 1 5W-20 was the only oil that produce a real noticeable valvetrain tap.

Originally Posted By: HatchSpeeD
Hello all, I'm new to this board. I've been reading a lot of threads over the past few days & learned a lot but it's hard to sift through all the info. I've used M1 in all the different Honda's I've owned in the past 8 years & wanted to try something different.

I currently have a Civic with a JDM GSR (B18C DOHC VTEC) swap. I was surprised to learn about the M1 being a group 3 base.
Also, from past experiences I do think M1 tends to burn easier & am curious to see if my valvetrain quiets down a little with another brand (even with the recent valve adj I did).

5-30 is recommended oil.
I was wondering if I got my hands on some german castrol 0-30, how that would perform against the m1 & if anyone here uses GC in a B-series motor?

Penzoil Plat?
Quaker state Q?
Castrol edge?
etc..

Thanks

Honda motors prefer the thinner oil,GC is a little thick for your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back