Switching from M1, need info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HatchSpeeD
Interesting thanks. Anyone on the puralator pure one oil filters? I never used or heard of them but I read somewhere here their good. Besides OEM Honda filters any recommendations from sound info?

I've also heard of K&N being good or a some wix brand. The last time I looked at K&N years ago if I recall it was really expensive.

Funny enough I also ran K&N oil filters for a year while using the M1 5W30 in my G20. I never noticed a difference or anything from the cheapie oil filter that was on it when I got the car.

Once I switched to Castrol I also went to Purolator PureONE filters and have been using them since. They seem like almost the same filter minus the giant lug on the top.

I have never cut one open or anything, but I've never had a problem with them. The new PureONE filters have this pretty nice "grip" paint on them, makes it alot easier taking them off by hand.

Whats up with puralator pure one oil filters? I've been reading on this board it's good stuff. I know Honda's can be picky so idk if it's a good choice. I usually use Honda oem filters but I'm tired of running to the dealer + they switched to this universal smaller 1 now which I'm weary of. I used to use M1 filters prior but I hear puralator is better...

If price is no issue, here's how I rank some compatible quality filters in descending order of preference:

Amsoil EAO13 & Mobil M1-110 (tie--depends on OCI length)
K&N HP-1010
Toyo Roki/Filtec 15400-PLM-A01 & HAMP H1540-PFB-515 (tie)
Purolator PureONE PL14610
Baldwin B1402 & Hastings LF240 (tie)
WIX 51356 / Napa Gold 1356

The Toyo Roki/Filtec 15400-PCX-004 is a spanking good filter, but the bypass valve might be a bit too stiff for the B-series engine.

Thank tropic. Interesting you have M1 filter so high when other people before you saying it wasn't so good. How did you comprise this order? Personal experience, research data...?

Jeez, you had to call me on it. Here goes...

The rankings are my own preferences/prejudices after reading other people's particle counts, insoluble %'s, and experiences, sifting through the internet rumor mill, looking at cut-open filters, and my own experiences with a 1999 Accord 3.0L and 2008 Civic 1.8L. I've actually used every filter I listed except the EAO13.

My perspective: I highly value build quality. Next most desirable feature is filtration. Holding capacity also figures into it, and flow less so. Then the little nit-picks like silicone Vs. nitrile ADBV, bypass location, etc. I'll try not to list too much of the small stuff.

Amsoil EAO13: this shares my top ranking by internet hype/reputation alone. I respect Donaldson's products, and particle counts look great. It is by all accounts an extremely efficient filter. Also, any filter recommended for such a long service has got to have a decent holding capacity. Silicone ADBV is a plus. Insolubles in UOAs are always good. Maybe I'll give it a shot when I win the lottery.

Mobil M1-110: this thing has semi-synthetic filter media, a silicone ADBV, and is built like a tank. In a head-to-head comparison with the EAO13 buried somewhere in the BITOG oil filter section, it posted better particle counts in 5,000 mile OCIs. Granted, this is a single blip on the radar. No idea what the results would be at 10,000 miles or more, or in MY engines at any OCI, but there it is nonetheless. Insolubles in UOAs are generally excellent.

K&N HP-1010: basically an M1-110 with cellulose media and a stupid 1" nut welded on the dome. Insolubles look good. Even more expensive than the Mobil filter.

Filtec 15400-PLM-A01: a sturdy, well-made filter that does well in the UOA section. No incidents when I was still having the Accord's oil changed at the dealership. The factory filter on my Civic was an A01, but I haven't been able to find one in town for over a year.

HAMP H1540-PFB-515: a miniature green version of the A01. Honda enthusiast sites rave about raised oil pressure, better performance, 10 extra HP, etc., but all I can say is that it's a sturdy little filter that did well for me. The oil light always went off nearly instantly while I was using the small HAMP. Trendy part.

Purolator PureONE PL14610: I dunno about this filter. It has a LOT of filter media, very good filtration, and is fairly well built. My experience was worse than the status quo on BITOG. The first PureONE I used on the Civic gave me no problems, but the second gave me three dry starts in a couple weeks. It might have been an isolated case of a poorly seating ADBV, but I trashed the PureONE and haven't used one since. I listed it because it has great specs and others on BITOG have generally good experiences with it. Also, I was afraid the PureONE fanatics might hunt me down if I didn't at least give it a nod.

Baldwin B1402 & Hastings LF240: sturdy as heck and trusted by fleets across the country. Ho-hum filters that did the job for me. Not too many of them in the UOA section, so I don't have any numbers to go on.

WIX 51356: this is kinda the little filter that could. Well built, good filtration (WIX is pretty forthcoming with their numbers, and there are a lot of 0.2% insoluble marks in the UOA section), and reasonably priced... especially if you order from fleetfilter.com. I went through a bunch of these in the Accord's later days before I sold it after the second tranny rebuild. The BITOG filter section contains at least one report of a defective filter (Bill in Utah's). Glad it happened to Bill and not to me. Sorry, Bill.
cheers3.gif

There ya go. I never claimed the rankings were scientifically derived. Some thought went into them, but it's really just scores on the warm & fuzzy meter.

Thank tropic. Interesting you have M1 filter so high when other people before you saying it wasn't so good. How did you comprise this order? Personal experience, research data...?

I've used mostley the M1 filter. At times Pure 1 also.

LOL tropic, I wasn't really calling you out bud I just like to know why people think something is good or not based upon experience/data etc. Too many people on forums recommend things based upon dumb reasoning or heresay.

Just curious, what would you say about people saying that the M1 filters are restrictive? I'd like to try a hamp filter sometime but I don't want to wait to have it shipped at the moment & most likely going with something I can grab at a dealer/store.

If the M1-110 is too restrictive, I haven't seen it in any of my applications. Of course, it could be spending all its time in bypass and I wouldn't know it unless I got horrible insolubles levels on a few UOAs. But then you'd probably be seeing this all over the UOA section.

Hello all, I'm new to this board. I've been reading a lot of threads over the past few days & learned a lot but it's hard to sift through all the info. I've used M1 in all the different Honda's I've owned in the past 8 years & wanted to try something different.

I currently have a Civic with a JDM GSR (B18C DOHC VTEC) swap. I was surprised to learn about the M1 being a group 3 base.
Also, from past experiences I do think M1 tends to burn easier & am curious to see if my valvetrain quiets down a little with another brand (even with the recent valve adj I did).

5-30 is recommended oil.
I was wondering if I got my hands on some german castrol 0-30, how that would perform against the m1 & if anyone here uses GC in a B-series motor?

Penzoil Plat?
Quaker state Q?
Castrol edge?
etc..

Also, are all of the above considered group3, group4 etc?

Thanks

Maxlife 5w-20. My engine is the same engine of the prior year(2005) which was speced for 5w-30 but was changed for CAFE reason to 5w-20 in 2006. I would seriously recommend Valvoline Maxlife 5w-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back