Switching from Amsoil due to costs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I wanted your recommendations. I still want to use the best oil I can buy from the store but Amsoil prices have gotten a bit too much for my taste now. Cost is near $90 shipped for a case.

I am considering PP, Castrol Syntec, and M1 again. M1 use to be what I used before Amsoil, but it had issues with startup clatter, etc on my older car. I have a 07 350Z and we have a 09 Murano and 08 Civic EX.

Please give me some recommendations on what I should use and in your opinion what grades? I currently use 5w30 and live in Texas.

Forgot to add, that I drive around 8000 miles a year, and that includes about 6-8 road course events where the car gets pushed hard.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
With that kind of mileage and driving I'd think that the high HT/HS GC might be right... Maybe too thick though. PP's never a bad choice.

HT/HS OR GC? Sorry don't understand what you meant there.

My work is 4 miles from my house, so 8 miles a day for work. Short trips sadly.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
So you drive the snot out of your car numerous times a year, and are worried about saving twenty-thirty bucks per OC?

Is something wrong with this picture?

I can pay $25-30 for a oil change including filter, or pay $60 including filter. Yes it makes a difference especially since I change it more often than I should due to the racing. I try to push it 6k, but most of the time it sees 4k, depending how often I tracked it during that time. Plus I am tired of dealing with ordering the Amsoil, rather just pick it up when I need it.

How about you be more helpful about my question instead of being a smart [censored]?

Last edited:
GC has a high High Temp/High Shear and is a very thick 30 to begin with. I use PP 5W-30 here in Houston with a 5K interval and haven't gone wrong, but was thinking that for an 8k interval with the racing a thicker, more shear stable oil might be in order.

...for some people, it is a very hard pill to swallow that you don't want to use the big A. Stick to your position.

M1 0w40 might be another option as well...... It's a light 40-weight that is designed to be run in high-stress environments; like Porsche's turbocharged engines for example.

8k mile OCI with a few road courses in between is pushing any oil far. Is the vehicle in a G35. Spend a few bucks on a UOA and you'll know for sure which method for you is most efficient and price effective.

So you drive the snot out of your car numerous times a year, and are worried about saving twenty-thirty bucks per OC?

With the stock market in the dumps, gas prices are high, food costs gone up, you gotta cut back somewhere.

I agree. Almost thinking of going to a dino oil and LC20...See what the next few months bring.

Originally Posted By: dargo
I agree. Almost thinking of going to a dino oil and LC20...See what the next few months bring.
Dino and Auto R/X
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: G35_TX

I can pay $25-30 for a oil change including filter, or pay $60 including filter. Yes it makes a difference especially since I change it more often than I should due to the racing. I try to push it 6k, but most of the time it sees 4k, depending how often I tracked it during that time. Plus I am tired of dealing with ordering the Amsoil, rather just pick it up when I need it.

How about you be more helpful about my question instead of being a smart [censored]?

Because breaking stuff is a normal part of racing... I'm not in any way saying your engine will grenade on the next course you do, but would you cry wolf if a tire popped?

By the way, do you have track fees in your area?

I would use a good 10w30 year round. PP, Synpower and Mobil 1 would all be good choices.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
GC has a high High Temp/High Shear and is a very thick 30 to begin with. I use PP 5W-30 here in Houston with a 5K interval and haven't gone wrong, but was thinking that for an 8k interval with the racing a thicker, more shear stable oil might be in order.

...for some people, it is a very hard pill to swallow that you don't want to use the big A. Stick to your position.

I have been using Amsoil for around 5 years. Love the stuff. Just a bit over expensive for what I want now.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

With the stock market in the dumps, gas prices are high, food costs gone up, you gotta cut back somewhere.

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: G35_TX

Because breaking stuff is a normal part of racing... I'm not in any way saying your engine will grenade on the next course you do, but would you cry wolf if a tire popped?

By the way, do you have track fees in your area?

Only fee I have is when I pay to go for the full day. Last time I went was in June, got one scheduled October, and I just did my last change with Amsoil 0-30. In June temps were 100, and ground temps 130. It was hot, and the car showed it. Temp gauge went almost 3/4 of the way up by the end of the run. Thankfully temps are going back down now. :)

Considering the cost of cars today, oil is still very cheap IMO. But I know what you mean, you have to cut back somewhere....

Spending $90 on Amsoil for 2 oil changes isn't bad at all to me personally. $90 is gas for two weeks the way I drive.

You really need to take advantage of the 33% higher Tbn Amsoil has and run the oils longer to get your $'s worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back