Switching CVT fluid from Nissan OEM to other brand?

So I have an '08 Altima (2.5 S) that needs the CVT transmission fluid changed. I just bought it, with about 100k miles on it. While the oil has been regularly changed, I'm not sure about the CVT fluid, so I thought it would be best to change it just to be sure. The fluid that is in it currently has the green tint of the OEM stuff, so I'm assuming that's what's in it now.

I've read good things about the Castrol CVT fluid, so I'm considering using that, as it is a fraction of the cost of the Nissan stuff. (I have a 2010 Maxima that I have done with the Nissan OEM fluid, and had no issues, but it's pricey) My question is two part:

1. Does everyone agree that the Castrol CVT fluid (or other brands) are as good or better than the Nissan OEM fluid and won't cause any issues with the transmission? The car has 105k miles on it, so it's out of warranty anyway, if that were a concern.

2. Since it currently has the OEM fluid in it, is there anything special I need to do when making the switch to a different brand? Should I do a drain and fill now, then drive it for a bit, then do another drain and fill in 1000 miles or something? Or am I ok to just do one drain and fill and call it good?

Also (ok I guess there are three questions) do I really need to drop the pan and replace the gasket? Will that drop a lot more oil than just draining? Thanks!

Edit: Also considered installing a little transmission cooler. Would that go a long ways in helping to extend the longevity of the transmission?

I've done my own research, found a MSDS (SDS) for the Nissan NS2 and found it was made by SOPUS which is Shell Oil Products US. So with that, I used the Pennzoil Platinum CVT 2 product on my 2013 Maxima (since sold last week) and had no issues whatsoever in the 2 dump and fills I did while owning that car. Castrol is a good brand, so is Aisin, Eneos, Idemitsu, and I've also heard that Valvoline CVT fluid is very good.

KGMtech said:
I've done my own research, found a MSDS (SDS) for the Nissan NS2 and found it was made by SOPUS which is Shell Oil Products US. So with that, I used the Pennzoil Platinum CVT 2 product on my 2013 Maxima (since sold last week) and had no issues whatsoever in the 2 dump and fills I did while owning that car. Castrol is a good brand, so is Aisin, Eneos, Idemitsu, and I've also heard that Valvoline CVT fluid is very good.
Thanks, I saw a youtube video that basically said the same thing, went into depth about it. So it's good to hear it verified by someone.

Last edited:
Welcome to BITOG!

Valvoline and Castrol both make great CVT fluids. Some people don't like Castrol because it's red. Valvoline is green. Amazon recently started carrying Valvoline CVT at a good price by the case, $37 for 6 quarts, only $2 more than the red Castrol.

You do not have to drop the pan I think your CVT has a drain plug

slacktide_bitog said:
Welcome to BITOG!

Valvoline and Castrol both make great CVT fluids. Some people don't like Castrol because it's red. Valvoline is green. Amazon recently started carrying Valvoline CVT at a good price by the case, $37 for 6 quarts, only $2 more than the red Castrol.

You do not have to drop the pan I think your CVT has a drain plug
Thanks! Yeah the only reason I was leaning towards Castrol is because all the reviews on Amazon for the Castrol were mentioning being used in Nissans, Altimas specificially. The Valvoline mentioned a lot more Hondas and Subarus, and the one review that mentioned a Nissan was negative. But I'm sure either would be fine.

So I should be ok to mix the new stuff with the OEM that's in there and call it good?

Do a search on https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/search/30751/?q=Pathfinder+CVT&t=post&o=relevance and you will find a number of posts on how to do a drain and refill.

I would recommend at least three Drain and Refills in order to get almost new fluid in there.

JTK and other members have a number of good posts on how to do this.

A number of acceptable fluids are: Valvoline CVT, Castrol CVT Import, Amsoil CVT, Pennzoil Platinum CVT 2, Aisin CVT, Eneos CVT, Redline CVT, and Idemitsu CVT to name a few.

MolaKule said:
Do a search on https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/search/30751/?q=Pathfinder+CVT&t=post&o=relevance and you will find a number of posts on how to do a drain and refill.

I would recommend at least three Drain and Refills in order to get almost new fluid in there.

JTK and other members have a number of good posts on how to do this.

A number of acceptable fluids are: Valvoline CVT, Castrol CVT Import, Amsoil CVT, Pennzoil Platinum CVT 2, Aisin CVT, Eneos CVT, Redline CVT, and Idemitsu CVT to name a few.
I've researched and I'm pretty sure I know how to do the drain and refill. Plus I've done it on my 2010 Maxima, and it looks about the same. But that is good to know about draining and refilling. Since doing it is so easy, and the fluid isn't that pricey, I might just do that over the next 6 months or so, thanks!

I am currently using Castrol TransMax CVT fluid(which is RED) in both the Altima & Civic in my signature. I changed out(drain & refilled) both cars CVT fluid in July 2019(1 yr ago) and both CVTs are performing flawlessly.

Char Baby said:
I am currently using Castrol TransMax CVT fluid(which is RED) in both the Altima & Civic in my signature. I changed out(drain & refilled) both cars CVT fluid in July 2019(1 yr ago) and both CVTs are performing flawlessly.

Thanks that is great to know!

314,500 miles on my CVT Nissan Altima VQ....

Changed the fluid for the first time at 283,500 miles. Did use Castrol CVT fluid the first time and then 3 drain and refills with Eneos CVT fluid.

bbhero said:
314,500 miles on my CVT Nissan Altima VQ....

Changed the fluid for the first time at 283,500 miles. Did use Castrol CVT fluid the first time and then 3 drain and refills with Eneos CVT fluid.
Wow, kudos. Honestly, I think one of my kids will crash this one before we get anywhere close to that one. :-(

Another Nissan CVT thread:

So I have an '08 Altima (2.5 S) that needs the CVT transmission fluid changed. I just bought it, with about 100k miles on it. While the oil has been regularly changed, I'm not sure about the CVT fluid, so I thought it would be best to change it just to be sure. The fluid that is in it currently has the green tint of the OEM stuff, so I'm assuming that's what's in it now.

I've read good things about the Castrol CVT fluid, so I'm considering using that, as it is a fraction of the cost of the Nissan stuff. (I have a 2010 Maxima that I have done with the Nissan OEM fluid, and had no issues, but it's pricey) My question is two part:

1. Does everyone agree that the Castrol CVT fluid (or other brands) are as good or better than the Nissan OEM fluid and won't cause any issues with the transmission? The car has 105k miles on it, so it's out of warranty anyway, if that were a concern.

2. Since it currently has the OEM fluid in it, is there anything special I need to do when making the switch to a different brand? Should I do a drain and fill now, then drive it for a bit, then do another drain and fill in 1000 miles or something? Or am I ok to just do one drain and fill and call it good?

Also (ok I guess there are three questions) do I really need to drop the pan and replace the gasket? Will that drop a lot more oil than just draining? Thanks!

Edit: Also considered installing a little transmission cooler. Would that go a long ways in helping to extend the longevity of the transmission?

I vote for Aisin since I have been using Aisin NS-2 in my 2013 Maxima since 60k miles until now with almost 200k. I always change the CVT fluid every 30k miles. DO NOT FLUSH your fluid, just drain and refill the fluid with correct CVT fluid.

Did two drain and fills on a family member's Maxima roughly 10k miles ago. Used Amsoil CVT and so far, the transmission is doing great. I don't think you'll have any problem with Castrol, or any of the other brands that Mola mentioned.

I have performed 2 changes on the CVT in my Kizashi...one at just over 60k (did 2 indrain and fills with a few days of driving in between) and the second one at 95k miles (only 1drain and fill but also replaced the small in-line filter and utilized a 10 oz. bottle of Lubegard CVT additive to the fluid). I used Redline CVT fluid each time. I believe my car uses a similar Jatco unit which isn't known for reliability. I have had no problems with the CVT and at 103k miles it seems to work as well as ever. I have always gone easy on the trans (don't use the "manual shift" feature, accelerate easy, drive slowly when cold, etc.). The car isn't worth anything so I've decided to just keep driving it until a future costly repair forces me to get rid of it. A CVT failure would be an obvious deal breaker so I am nursing it along. I have used Redline transmission/diff. fluids for years and don't hesitate to recommend them.

I understand that the current oem brew is Idemitsu
I also heard from several sources that the SOPUS product used to be the OEM product but was deemed unacceptable
and was a reason for some early failures. I would look into that and my post is not a bash. Several sources told me
but is it gospel- not sure. Of course Amsoil claims to be the best fluid for Nissan applications.

I have used Valvoline and Castrol on a high mileage Hertz rental return 2015 Altima. 100% satisfied.
Your car will thank you. Good luck.

its good some positives on the CVT's especially ones that had issues early on. i feel theres always a learning curve + buying new tech is a crap shoot unless fully under warranty. with CVT costing close to a new engine theres surely a concern!

I have always gone easy on the trans (don't use the "manual shift" feature, accelerate easy, drive slowly when cold, etc.). The car isn't worth anything so I've decided to just keep driving it until a future costly repair forces me to get rid of it. A CVT failure would be an obvious deal breaker so I am nursing it along.
Same here oilmaven but I have Idemitsu currently in mine which I changed just over a year ago with about 150k Kms. on the clock after a trip to SoFlo. What came out didn't look too bad either and no issues with the tranny. Since I didn't know the service history I dumped it as I've only owned this car for about two years now. I used about 10 litres to do an exchage and it runs great.

Back