switching brands from time to time

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

I was in the pep boys tonight and was discussing some things with one of the workers. A guy came up and overheard the conversation, and told me that the best thing to do is choose one brand and stick with it.

Is this best?

It seems to me that the best thing to do would be to change brands from time to time, maybe as frequently as every 4-5 changes, maybe as log as every 30K miles. It seems that certain oils may be more robust in one thing or another, and since most likely they will all protect more or less the same, why not give them a swap around, to get the most out of the various brands.

Any comments on this?
Thanks

JMH

IMO, it's best to do a UOA on one oil, and if it looks good, stick with that one oil. If not, switch to another and do another UOA. Once you find that one oil that looks good, stick with it and don't jump around any more.

It's true that different oils have different additive packages, but it's also true that some of these additive packages can clash with eachother so every time you switch oil brands, you kind of "shock" your engine because the leftover additives from the previous oil react with the additives from the new oil. I'm sure the danger is not catastrophical, but I wouldn't switch around just for the heck of it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

motor oils are interchangeable , don't let anyone tell you different. Send me 10 qts of amsoil 15w40 diesel marine and 5 qts redline 15w40 diesel oil and I will put them in the wifes f250 truck.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ May 08, 2003, 01:27 AM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

You know I used to think that you had to stick with one brand of oil, but I don't.I switch oil all the time, have been doing it for years.Right now I have Chevron Supreme in the crankcase of my rig(F150)and on hand I have Formula Shell and Exxon Super Flo.I have 87000 miles on this truck and the oil really isn't even dirty in 3000 miles but I change it anyways.This engine is as strong as the day I bought it.
patriot.gif

Current API specs. require compatability between brands.

The "never change brands" theory comes from decades ago and is no longer valid.

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
Hi,

I was in the pep boys tonight and was discussing some things with one of the workers. A guy came up and overheard the conversation, and told me that the best thing to do is choose one brand and stick with it.

Is this best?

It seems to me that the best thing to do would be to change brands from time to time, maybe as frequently as every 4-5 changes, maybe as log as every 30K miles. It seems that certain oils may be more robust in one thing or another, and since most likely they will all protect more or less the same, why not give them a swap around, to get the most out of the various brands.

Any comments on this?
Thanks

JMH

I agree...don't think there will be problems....but, different brands behave differently and leave different deposits. Some clean old/previous oil's deposits better than others...other's leave the deposits there...may account for consumption changes when switching...

Probably would throw off a UOA...and you'd need at least 2 changes with same brand to get accurate results. So in a nutshell....no problems...change away.

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
Hi,

Is this best?

Any comments on this?
Thanks

JMH

that doesn't really make sense. one certain strong point of one oil isn't going to stick around when another oil's around.

kind of like the people who buy 87 octane and buy 91 once in a while and then go right back to 87, thinking there's some kind of improvement to be had with that method.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back