Switching back to non-syn oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KC_admin
I concur however what I am getting that even what I thought was a conventional oil (Mobil 5000) is not a "true" conventional oil but more of semi-synthetic. Was thinking about going with Wal-Mart Super Tech and call it a day however last time I bought oil Mobil was sold cheaper than Super Tech.

All conventional oils are fine. Mobil Clean 5000 is probably one of the cheapest and good oils out there. At Walmart a 5qt jug can be had for $11. It's cheaper than all the other oils except maybe SuperTech. I would use the Mobil Clean 5000 with confidence or any other brand, but if cost and quality come to mind, Mobil, Pennzoil and Valvoline will give you the protection and peace of mind you want.

Why not switch to a Group 3 syn. All the benefits of PAO without the leaks........I think. M1 is PAO.

The only benefit of using syn oil, in normal applications, is extended drains. Bill is right. If you're going to follow the manufacturer OCI follow the rest of the manual too, which 9 times out of 10 recommends regular SM/SL spec'd oil.

It took me a long time, but I'm using dino again after years on this board. I now worry more about the filter I'm using than the oil
grin2.gif

What we are talking about is switching a motor to purely conventional oil after being run for 150,000 miles on M1 Synthetic. My impression after seeing what the oil did to a rubber oil tube on the car that it has made the rear main seal "gummy" and that conventional oil might restore it to a more usable shape and seal it more effectivly.

In all honestly, I don't know that I have ever heard of proper maintenance with a synthetic resulting in leaks. If conventional were to "fix" the leak it would be by gunking it up, but it still doesn't resolve the issue; it simply hides it. Thicker oil could do it as well, but I wouldn't if I didn't have to go that route.

I would have to get back to you on that as I just recently repaired the leak on the oil tube which probably cost me more than a "few drops" a day. More like few ounces a day. By coincidence that leak was over the other exhaust tube so really I don't see oil hitting the garage floor.

I have seen so many leaks on this vehicle in the past few months that I am turned off by the whole idea of using it in my new vehicle. I have taken good care of my 2002 Altima as it was my first new car and it was garage kept for almost it whole life. My opinion is based on personal experience with two vehicles which I have taken very good care of. Yes they are old and yes maybe the synthetic didn't cause the leaks but really I am done with it.

Sounds like a vehicle problem, not oil.
Do whatever works best for you, though.

Quote:
In all honestly, I don't know that I have ever heard of proper maintenance with a synthetic resulting in leaks. If conventional were to "fix" the leak it would be by gunking it up, but it still doesn't resolve the issue; it simply hides it. Thicker oil could do it as well, but I wouldn't if I didn't have to go that route.

Well then I guess you have heard it. I would be curious to hear what one does to properly maintain gaskets other than change the oil at the scheduled times. I also had a '95 Altima that I used M1 Syn in and I only had to replace the rocker arm cover gasket and it did not leak out the front and rear seals and the car was well over 100,000 miles before my wife totaled it. Maybe you are right that synthetic didn't cause any leaks but frankly I don't care to use synthetic anymore due to personal experience with both kinds of oils in the past few years.

I find nothing "magical" about synthetic oil after using it for over ten years and have no intention of using it in my new vehicle. I will get back to you in 8 years and/or 150,000 miles and let you know how it did without it. I have one vehicle that is nearing 200K miles without the "benefits" of synthetic oil.

As for fixing a leak I consider a leak "fixed" when it doesn't leak anymore, "hidden" or otherwise.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BeanCounter

Last time I checked oil is a part of a vehicle. I will see if what I plan to do makes the situation better or worse but really I was hoping for insight from other people that might have done this before without problems.

My impression of additives is that they are snake oil as I have used many on my 2000 Altima and the rear main has always leaked no matter what. It is a minor leak that I have lived with for over 6 years. I have never used additives in my 2002 and most likely never will.

I use to think about that buffer point but when I thought about it, I really could not think of what is a buffer buffing???? Make a wrong turn and wind up in death valley, or another turn and wind up on a tundra? Or go into a mind fog and forget to change the oil for 13 months. So, I am glad I do not need a buffer whatever that might be.
34.gif

And yes, conventional oils do more than get by. They're great for lawnmowers! Which reminds me...I need to fill the mower with the leftover M1 in the bottles hanging around my garage...

So with facts you can not win the conversion so you go to the lawnmower route...
smirk2.gif

I'm impressed. And you use Mobil 1! Great plug there.
thumbsup2.gif

Glad to see that you are not biased with your mindset and what is it with people that use Mobil 1?

You guys prove my point so well thank you.
11.gif

Don't let facts get in the way here!

Actually no its not about the money but more just the uniformity of using the same oil (and filter as well it seems) across the three vehicles and the perception from my viewpoint that conventional oil does just as well without causing leaks. I own three cars as follows:

Understandable. There is such a thing as bulk packaging, by the way. And if you're worried about synthetics "causing leaks" with as new as your vehicles are, you're probably a little off base. No oils should cause leaks, properly maintained. Some are just more susceptible than others.

Oops... The guy PROPERTY maintained his vehicle from NEW with Syn oil and has the problem.

Amazing how you know it all. Been here a little longer then you so I've heard quite a bit more. Seen what this guy HAS experienced more than a FEW TIMES.

Maybe you could LEARN something instead of spewing the marketing points?

What we are talking about is switching a motor to purely conventional oil after being run for 150,000 miles on M1 Synthetic. My impression after seeing what the oil did to a rubber oil tube on the car that it has made the rear main seal "gummy" and that conventional oil might restore it to a more usable shape and seal it more effectivly.

Spend some time READING PAST threads here and LEARN something.

Get out of your head a few things;

1. Conventional = GUNK.
2. Thicker oil will stop a leak.

Of course, syn oil could never do anything wrong. Let's see a "properly" maintained engine from day one (since he used syn from the start) and things go wrong. That "small" extra cost over the years sure saved him from any problems.

Quote:

I find nothing "magical" about synthetic oil after using it for over ten years and have no intention of using it in my new vehicle. I will get back to you in 8 years and/or 150,000 miles and let you know how it did without it. I have one vehicle that is nearing 200K miles without the "benefits" of synthetic oil.

Wonder how you did that? I thought that if you really cared for your vehicle and wanted it to last using syn is the "smart" and safe way..

I remember a post with;
Quote:
"unless you drive conservatively and put few miles on the vehicles. Otherwise I don't see the advantages of switching to dino.
in it.

200k a few miles? What were the "advantages" that he missed using conventional oil for the 200k?

As for fixing a leak I consider a leak "fixed" when it doesn't leak anymore, "hidden" or otherwise.

If you don't care how a leak stops and/or the repercussions, just start pouring stuff in:

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/cd2-heavy-duty-sealer-engine-oil-stop-leak-p-65335.html?ref=42

Wow! Great advise...

He is using something that you suggest and once you find out your advice is flawed then you go to the snake oil route.

Good job!
crackmeup2.gif

My impression of additives is that they are snake oil as I have used many on my 2000 Altima and the rear main has always leaked no matter what. It is a minor leak that I have lived with for over 6 years. I have never used additives in my 2002 and most likely never will.

Ok I've proved my point with Mr. Accountant (who comes up with the "numbers" so well without really getting any data from who he his is discussing the facts with..)
smirk2.gif

You are correct. DO NOT throw garbage into the sump.

Do we know if you ran conventional oil all the time in this engine that is leaking you would have NOT had leaks? NO. But we do know that you would have made it here with the engine running the same and saved a lot of $$ that did you no good.

Trust me. You can go back to your original question asked and that answer is YES you CAN go back a non-syn oil and it will NOT harm your engine at all.

That is a talking point that the koolaid drinkers and oil company marketing wizards spew to keep you using their product.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Why not switch to a Group 3 syn. All the benefits of PAO without the leaks........I think. M1 is PAO.

No it is not. Go search user Tom_NJ and you'll find out the truth.

Mobil 1 has group III in it and that is NOT a bad thing. Please don't buy a oil for what it has in it, buy oil for its PERFORMANCE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back