Switching away from High Mileage Oil. Safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNL

I have search the web for a good discussion but there not many talk about going back from high mileage oil. So, I have a 2000 Camry with the 2.2L engine. (famous 4 cly known to sludge up easily) I received the car at about 60K on it and have been on a very steady diet of Valvoline Maxlife 5W-30 changed every 3-4K until now. I finally remove the valve cover to replace the gasket when it started to leak at about 100K. Very clean if I do say so myself.

IMG_2121_zps77504f81.jpg

The main reason I have use Maxlife is to stop the valve stem seal leak (also famous on 90' Toyota engine) but after many research, I read that the valve stem seal is made of a special material that is unaffected by HM oil. I still get a blue puff on start up sometimes after 40K on Maxlife.

I got a case of Chevron Supreme 10W-30 (an acceptable oil weight for this engine and I live in the south) and wanted to know if going back from high mileage oil to conventional oil is fine? The engine right now has no leaks and doesn't burn oil and see no reason to use a HM oil. I just don't know if the conditioner of HM oil may effected my seals.

I also have a case of 10w-30 QSUD (a synthetic oil) that I was dying to use. Everything on paper makes it appear to be a better oil. I know there are millions of story about switching to synthetic; some got leaks, other are perfect, etc. I know today's synthetic are compatible with conventional (the two is almost the same) but I'm just worried about the cleaning ability of synthetic clearing out debris that may be hiding leaks (such as the rear main). It is safe to say it's better to stay away from full synthetic on this motor? Don't get me wrong, I'm planning to use them in our Nissan which is 5 years old at 100K. (Hope I didn't open a can of worms with this question)

agree with Doog. I doubt that you will have any probs. besides, most "full synthetics" are group III and should not affect the seals. besides, the oil mfrs use seal swell agents anywar. congrats! your cylinder head looks very good!

I have had problems 2X on brand new trucks where the rear main seal leaked with a Group IV oil. In one case, Jeep replaced the seal. on the other, I simply used Mobil 1 instead of having them rip apart my brand new ram to replace the seal.

Last edited:
We got the same engine in the '97 flavor with almost 200,000 miles on it.

I've ran Maxlife, Penn Hi-Mileage, QS Defy, PYB, Formula Shell. No harm at all.

I'd try it and see if consumption goes up.

Confession time: I've never been a believer in HM oil. I'm waiting for another OC to verify results, but at my last OC I used Castrol 10w30HM in my 280K mile 3.8GM. I wasn't really expecting a difference, but I confess that consumption has been cut in half. From a quart every 1500 to 3000. Not ready to call it conclusive, but I may have changed my opinion. I'll know in a few months and post my conclusion.

Go ahead and switch. You can always switch back if a problem pops up. Or NAPA sell a product called motor oil saver by liqui-moly/lubro-moly which will stop just about any leak unless the gasket is completely gone. If you want to use up your qsud and you spring a leak try this stuff out.
Everything that liqui-moly-lubro-moly produces performs as advertised. Their additives are the only ones I will buy,because they work. Well now that we have mmo here I buy that for my top end oiler and I put tc-w3 in my fuel so I do buy other additives but that's a different story.
Keep us posted

Last edited:
Thanks for all the reply guys. I feel more confident about switching back to conventional now, Chevron Supreme it is. I have never tracked oil consumption since I check my oil nearly everyday and give it a dash of oil if it's a notch below full. I read that QSUD is group III too but other thread say it has IV, etc. Then again, I read that Maxlife is Group III and other say II+. I guess the border between conventional and full synthetic is blurring but I'll play it safe and go with the "real oil" my teacher called it. Lol.

Thanks again.

Alright, it been almost a year since I switch away from Maxlife to conventional oil after replacing my valve cover gasket and now for the update.... everything else is starting to leak after 7K miles after the switch.

I used Chevron Supreme 10W-30 and Peak 5W-30 (both SN). Everything seem fine until a couple weeks ago, I was redoing the brake (annoying squeal) and inspected the engine on the lift. Found the oil pan and front timing cover seeping oil. Was it caused by the freaky cold weather? Age? Was Maxlife actually was holding back these leaks? Who know.
21.gif

I drain the Peak which had ~1000 miles and pour in Maxlife 5W-30. We'll see if it help stop these leaks.

Quote:
I have search the web for a good discussion but there not many talk about going back from high mileage oil. So, I have a 2000 Camry with the 2.2L engine. (famous 4 cly known to sludge up easily) I received the car at about 60K on it and have been on a very steady diet of Valvoline Maxlife 5W-30 changed every 3-4K until now. I finally remove the valve cover to replace the gasket when it started to leak at about 100K. Very clean if I do say so myself.

Was it caused by the freaky cold weather? Age? Was Maxlife actually was holding back these leaks? Who know. shrug

I drain the Peak which had ~1000 miles and pour in Maxlife 5W-30. We'll see if it help stop these leaks.

I don't see any real cause and effect here because you have an engine with > 100k miles and gaskets are gaskets; they get flat under compression and leak.

Maxlife has no power to hold back leaks.

I see no problem switching from and to HM oils back to synthetics or conventionals.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I have had a few oil leaks after switching from Mobil 1 HM to Mobil 1 EP... Switched back and the leaks stopped... Crazy. LOL.

Same thing happened to me. I used M1HM for a year or so (wanted to try a 40 weight synth). Switched to M1 15W50 and started leaking all over the place. Switched to Syntec and the leaks have completely stopped.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I have had a few oil leaks after switching from Mobil 1 HM to Mobil 1 EP... Switched back and the leaks stopped... Crazy. LOL.

Same thing happened to me. I used M1HM for a year or so (wanted to try a 40 weight synth). Switched to M1 15W50 and started leaking all over the place. Switched to Syntec and the leaks have completely stopped.

What weight syntec?

Originally Posted By: nepadriver

What weight syntec?

The 5W50. The leak slowed down dramatically the 1st oci. 2nd oci with it,it completely stopped. I have Syntec 10W40 in it currently and still doesn't leak a single drop anymore. LOVED the Syntec 5W50. I bought an oil change's worth of it over the weekend for my next change. AZ had all weights of black Edge/Syntec on sale for $5 a quart.

That's what I'm hoping Maxlife would do. All that can leak on the front (T-belt side) of the engine is either the cam/crank seals or oil pump seal. I still have 60K on the timing belt before my second replacement. I inspected the belt from the upper timing cover and found just a slight coating of oil on 1/3 of the belt. Of course by 170K, I'll do the job right and replace all the seals when I install another T-belt and water pump.

Definitely not crazy. I do not know how to explain it but sticking to the same oil within brand is the smart thing to in order to help prevent leaks. Whether false seals are removed, or seal shrinkage occurs after switching oils even within the same brand although this should not occur in theory, actual practice at times tells a different story.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back