Switched to syn...approx time of burning oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I switched to M1 SS 10w30 in mid December (engine feels great!
smile.gif
). For the first 500 miles or so w/ in town driving, dipstick level didn't move. I just got back from a 2k road trip to OK and I had to add about a quart and a half within that period. I've read here that when one switches to synthetic, the engine tends to burn more oil to begin with then tapers off. Was this burning due to this or because of the continuous high speed driving (70-80 mph) or both?

This probably depends on your engine. I used Mobil 1 5w30 and did a 2000 mile trip also, and after 3000 miles total, had to add 20 oz. This is on a new engine with M1 filled at the 1000 mile mark. I think your oil consumption sounds excessive. I've heard that some reduce over time, but not sure why that is unless it's cleaning the ring packs.

M1 tends to run thin at temp. You may want to look at other oils such as Schaeffers or Amsoil that run a bit thicker in the 10w30. Or if you are adventurous, you might try running 0w40 M1 and see what happens.

I have a'96 Ford Contour with the 2.0L Zetec 4 cyl. engine. When I first went to Mobil 1 5W-30 I "used" some oil between changes. After the 2nd change with the Mobil 1 I didn't "use" any more oil between changes. I then tried different "syn" oils and and never used any between changes. Came back to Mobil 1 and the first change with the Mobil 1 I again "used" oil. But again with the second change of Mobil 1 I didn't use anymore oil.
dunno.gif
Maybe the engine has to acclimate itself to the Mobil 1 before it stops "using" it.

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
I agree.It won't improve Probably). Another possibility-a quart of M1 15W-50. I have done that.

Yep I am going to mix the 15/50 with the 10/30 I am currently using this summer. Those two go good together to get the VI you want.I am at about 5k now on our newest commuter car and it is still on the full mark with the SS 10/30,the car has I think 9800 miles now.With the 3 quart sump I could change oil monthly and be Okie Dokie in terms of not thinning the wallet!
wink.gif

Kinda like peanut butter and Jam
smile.gif

Mixing 15w50 and 10w30 Mobil 1 is a very popular recipe for the LS1 guys. Those that burn oil with straight 10w30 have found that a mixture of 2qts of 15w50 to 4 qts of 10w30 almost completely stops their oil burning!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back