Switched to DishNetwork & got HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have had DirectTV for 7-8 years now, with TiVO for the last 3 or so. It has been ok, other than my mistake of siteing the dish up high, so high I can't clear snow and ice.

Anyway, I grabbed a Westinghouse 42" 1080i HDTV a couple of weeks ago ($949), and was finally ready for the new dish(es). I tried DirectTVHD first and they wanted hundreds for equipment and had very complicated rebates. imo, they could not decide on a single sales gadget, so they do the shotgun approach...whatevery you are looking for, rebates, upgrades, free channels...they offered it. Bottom line was it was expensive, even a bit insulting, like a $20S&H each for the TWO expensive pieces of equipment they were nice enough to ~lease~ or sell you. Reading the sales text, it's not a FREE HD DVR, but a FREE DVR Upgrade(from their older [censored] unit). Activation fees. Etc.

I called DishNetwork and it was zero equipment costs for 2 rooms, 500hr HDTV DVR for the exact same monthly money as DirectTVHD, but no equipment and they throw you a few smaller freebates. Next day install. Bottom line is were were paying $62 for plain DirectTV and now pay $69 for DishHDTV, $10 of that is HD access. There is a $20 HD access available pack too, but the install guy said don't bother because everything is going to be HD in a year or two.

If guys are waiting or thinking about it or whatever, don't. Picture is great, price is right, almost like something for nothing. Before ya start hatein', I kept the 35" Phillips CRT for 7 years and it was lazy to start-up. Had to turn it on more times every day for it to boot up. I'm pretty pleased and I'm not an impulse buyer. Usuall I tke my time with big equipment upgrades, do it right WHEN the price is right.

I recently added two HD's to my electronic equipment collection and had a run in with DirecTV and pricing that varies widely. My final call yielded free equipment however for my HD's (no DVR). Seems you gotta haglle with them. Never been on the DishNewtork side but it seems like a good HD value. Still waiting on Verizon FIOS TV to get here!!!!!!...untill then it's satellite.

We recently went the opposite way for the same reason. We've had Dish for two years, but they want $150 just to upgrade. Since they don't have as many channels as Directv and Comcast(cable) We decided to go to Comcast for 6 months. They have a promotion and after 6 months you become a new customer to Dish.

We just got installed last night and I am disgusted with some of their "HD" programming. There are several channels that a squished to the 16:9 format. This is my biggest pet peeve, it's intolerable. TBS"HD" uses some kind of dynamic squish that leaves things distorted. History is even worse. They took an 16:9 show, put bars on top and bottom, they squished it back to 16:9. Are Dish and DirecTV this bad?

Haven't gone HD yet, but fully expect to have to go back to Dish. Several years ago wanted upgrade from Dish, was gonna cost, contract was up so went with DirecTV for everything free. Now, it'll be simpler to go HD by switching back to Dish. Their both whores till they get your signature on a contract.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back