Switched to Chevron

No UOA's from the Castrol. I may do some w/ the Chevron, we'll see. I feel like just putting in the stuff with a Napa Gold filter every 3K and not thinking about it anymore!!! But then again....

PJH

Know how you feel - I used 10w30 GTX for years - after reading this forum have gone with Pennzoil 5w30 for winter and 10w for summer - with a good quality filter from Wix or Tennex and forget it!

Yeah, this forum will warp your mind. For years, I was happy just using whatever name brand dino was on sale every 3k, with an AC filter on GM's, and a Motorcraft filter on my Ford. Come to think of it, I never ever had a problem with this ritual. Unfortunately, I am "hooked" after coming here. D*mn you BITOG!!!!! (just kidding) [ October 22, 2003, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: novadude ]

That engine will not give you problems with pour point unless you are really going into the cold. I never ran anything lighter than Delo 15w40 in mine, with am temps as low as -10C. Even ran 20W50 for a while to compensate for lifter problems that I inherited from the previous owner.

quote:
Originally posted by MarkC: No UOA's from the Castrol. I may do some w/ the Chevron, we'll see. I feel like just putting in the stuff with a Napa Gold filter every 3K and not thinking about it anymore!!! But then again....
Yup, that is EXACTLY how I feel, and that is what I am doing.....I think I lost five years of my life dwelling over what is the best oil, filter, etc...

Welcome to the wonderful, wAcKy world of obessive/compulsive personality disorders! (and, some of you are paying for the experience... [Big Grin] ) [ October 22, 2003, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

MarkC

...after reading the UOA's and the posts, I switched to Chevron 10W30 this weekend. Nothing scientific, but my Cherokee 'feels'smoother and sounds quieter( relatively speaking, of course; it is, after all, a 4.0). I have run Castrol 10W30 for almost 7 years in it with no problem, but thought I'd try something different. But now, I read about winter worries regarding the pour point. I'm getting tired of being obsessed with oil, damnit!

quote:
Originally posted by MarkC: I'm getting tired of being obsessed with oil, damnit!
LOL I know what you mean. I fear this is just the beginning though [Bang Head] I've also read the cold pour concerns about the Chev Supreme and have thought about switching. Not sure exactly what I'll do, if anything, but for starters if I were you I might switch to the 5w-30 instead of the 10w-30. Are you planning on doing a UOA after one or two intervals with the Chev? Do you have any from the Castrol 10w-30 to compare #s with? Mikep