Switched Stihl MS170 to Amsoil Saber, now white smoke?

Have a 3 year oil MS170 stihl chainsaw. I finally used up all of the Stihl oil that they gave with me when purchasing it. I filled up with Amsoil Saber 50:1 ratio and now I have a bunch of white smoke when I open the throttle up.

Any ideas on what is causing this? Is it clean up some deposits? Should I drain out and refill with something else? Just caught me off guard since it was supposed to be smokeless (albeit 100:1). I only ran it for a few minutes after refueling.

Edit: my OPE gets stabil marine treated premium 91E0

Last edited:
Have a 3 year oil MS170 stihl chainsaw. I finally used up all of the Stihl oil that they gave with me when purchasing it. I filled up with Amsoil Saber 50:1 ratio and now I have a bunch of white smoke when I open the throttle up.

Any ideas on what is causing this? Is it clean up some deposits? Should I drain out and refill with something else? Just caught me off guard since it was supposed to be smokeless (albeit 100:1). I only ran it for a few minutes after refueling.
FUEL? How fresh is your fuel? How long since u have used your Stihl? White smoke.... But how is it running? Normal?
Sometimes when we saw white smoke at our lawnmower / small engine repair shop it could at times turn out to be water
in gas. Saw a lot of bad fuel related issues especially when ethanol began. Later the folks that did not use their fuel fast
enough or stored it a long time had issues. Without a jolt of ethanol / fuel stabilizer small engines and fuel tanks / lines
and carbs catch hell on older equipment. New machines are being made with gaskets and lines etc... that are so called
ethanol safe. Just a thought.

Go back to where you bought it and exchange it out for stihl oil. .02

FUEL? How fresh is your fuel? How long since u have used your Stihl? White smoke.... But how is it running? Normal?
Sometimes when we saw white smoke at our lawnmower / small engine repair shop it could at times turn out to be water
in gas. Saw a lot of bad fuel related issues especially when ethanol began. Later the folks that did not use their fuel fast
enough or stored it a long time had issues. Without a jolt of ethanol / fuel stabilizer small engines and fuel tanks / lines
and carbs catch hell on older equipment. New machines are being made with gaskets and lines etc... that are so called
ethanol safe. Just a thought.
It ran great for the 2 hours before. Maybe I just need to get it back out and run it a bit longer. It was ethanol free premium 91, with some stabil in it bought a few months ago so shouldn't be bad. Seemed to run fine, just a bit smoky.

Last edited:
I ran my Stihl stuff and Husky saw on Stihl synthetic before switching to Sabre. No change in smoke.
Mi do run 91 octane E0 though.

I'd run some Stihl oil and see if the smoke persists.
Could be the Amsoil is blended to be mixed 100:1.
I run my OPE a bit rich on the oil side. Tends to smoke
a bit a startup but clears up. Plus I love the smell
of 2 stroke.

I'd run some Stihl oil and see if the smoke persists.
Could be the Amsoil is blended to be mixed 100:1.
I run my OPE a bit rich on the oil side. Tends to smoke
a bit a startup but clears up. Plus I love the smell
of 2 stroke.
You can't go wrong by draining the fuel / oil mix. Keep it. Put your old mix in and see what happens. I really don't think its a big issue.
Maybe too much oil in the gas or needs to be blown out (run good). You sound sure the fuel is not contaminated. Good luck.

Can Volk06 please share the oil spec Echo call for that the Stihl Ultra does not meet
In my humble opinon,Stihl Ultra is the best 2 stroke oil available today for OPE.

Can Volk06 please share the oil spec Echo call for that the Stihl Ultra does not meet
In my humble opinon,Stihl Ultra is the best 2 stroke oil available today for OPE.
I was beaten up in another thread for my recommendation of Stihl oil/Motomix. They said it's dirty.
Apparently, Stihl did not submit their oil/fuel for JASO FD cert. It has always been JASO FB, which does not have the same smoke and other requirements (lubrication is the same). A "burning plastic" smell was also mentioned, but I have never smelled anything weird like that.

I just used 8 tanks of Stihl mix in my 660 on a load of oak and its clean as a whistle inside with no smoke.

I have a Stihl MS 170 and use Saber at 100:1 with no issues. I also have a 25yr old Kawasaki string trimmer that has had nothing but Saber at 100:1 since new and still runs great. Also have an Echo blow N Vac that uses the same with no issues. No smoke and plenty of power.

Like stated it could be the fuel.

I’ll buy a can of 50:1 premix and see what happens.

Although never an issue with Stihl fuels, I've had good experiences with Harvest King canned fuels from Runnings.
They are FD and meet just about everyone's 50:1 requirements and are easy to get and cheaper than Husky/Stihl cans.

You refer to two different mix ratios in your post. If your mix is supposed to be 100 to 1, and you mixed it 50 to 1, the thing would smoke just as you described.

I have to ask, is the saw properly tuned. I tend to use one brand of oil, tune my saw to that and i don't switch. I run amsoil saber at 40:1 with no smoke in both my saws.

If its the way it came from the factory, it may need tuning. I tune the low speed by ear, the high speed with a small tach. Probably running rich. Are you careful and measure the same oil each time?

Back