Switched from redline to rotella,now my car drinks oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle is a 98 firebird ls1 6spd.I've owned it since new,run redline 5w30 since break in and change the oil every 5k miles.At a little over 80k,being cheap,I switched to rotella 5w40.With redline,I had to add about 1/2qt or less between changes.Now with rotella,it seems like everytime I check the oil,I have to add 1/4 to 1/2 qt.It's been about 3k miles and I've already added 1 1/2 qts!I have not noticed any other negatives with the rotella(temp,oil psi) and the engine is quieter with rotella when starting in the am.I also just pulled some spark plugs and they all looked great.Probably gonna switch to mobil 5w40 or back to redline next oil change.Thanks for listening to me ramble.Oh,and patman told me not to switch in the 1st place!
pat.gif

[ April 15, 2004, 01:53 AM: Message edited by: jafo ]

Me too
smile.gif
. In my old Audi I normally run D1300s, but switched to the Rotella syn for the winter. It's always burned oil, mebbe a quart over 1200 miles or so, but the consumption with the Rot is closer to 1qt/800 miles. I'll use it up, switch back, and never by the Rot again...

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back