Switched from M1 0w-20 to Syntec Blend 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a short stint with the Mobil 1 0w-20, I couldn't resist any longer and switched over to Castrol Syntec Blend 5w-20. I'm very curious as to how this oil will do, and because I'll be taking a pretty long road trip this week, I wanted to get the CSB in the engine so I can get a UOA done pretty quickly. The main reason for my switch is because I just can't get myself to go for extended OCI's, and I drive almost completely short trips - we're talking 4 miles from home to work! I also enjoy changing my oil, so I figured I'd try and save myself a little cash by going to the CSB. {BTW: I know the results of a UOA will be a little different because of an extended highway road trip vs. my normal short trip driving, but it will at least give me a starting point.}
One thing that I noticed almost immediately after dumping out the Mobil 1 was how much quieter the engine became. I know other's have said the same thing after swithcing to another oil from Mobil 1, but I never really believed it. WOW! My engine really is quieter! I'm not trying to bad mouth Mobil 1 at all (I'll switch back to the 0w-20 if the CSB doesn't work out), but it really does seem to make engines louder.
patriot.gif

I've wondered the same thing myself ref the 20 weight oils having to be part synthetic. I know the Motorcraft says it is, and many have speculated the manufacturers must be using a synthetic to meet the tougher requirements. But I would be very suprised (and this is pure speculation on my part) if 5w-20's such as Pennzoil and Castrol GTX have synthetic in them. Maybe a Group II+, but I'm not sure about Group III. As far as the GTX compared to the Syntec Blend goes, I would assume that if there IS GIII in the GTX, that there should be a lot more in the Syntec Blend. Otherwise, it may be nothing more than a marketing scam.
dunno.gif

As far as my OCI goes, I'll never go farther than 4k miles between changes. Actually, I almost never make it past 3k before I get antsy and want to dump the old stuff, whether it's synthetic or not. Like I've said, I enjoy changing the oil in my cars, and feel the shorter OCI's suit my driving habits better. Maybe I just have too much free time on my hands?
cheers.gif

[ March 07, 2004, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: ZiTS ]

I was under the impression that for 5W-20 oils to meet Ford's specs they had to be some sort synthetic blend anyway. So what's the difference between Castrol GTX 5W-20 and their 5W-20 Syntec Blend. Other than the price of course
grin.gif
. What kind of OCI are you going to use with the Blend?

Whimsey

I have asked Castrol for a typical insp. data sheet on the blend and was told it's not avalilable yet. I am going to use up my supply of GTX before I buy any of the blend. Since the GTX already meets the 153-H Ford spec, I have to wonder what benefit the blend offers.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back