Switched from Fios to Comcast, Internet is slowwww

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any ideas why my wifi is so slow now? For example watching a youtube video on my i-touch now takes forever. Sometimes it is better than others, and I am never more than 20 feet from the router. I was told by the Comcast salesman that the speeds would be faster, lol.

Clearly Comcast is pushing their limits on the local exchange. It's also a pretty busy day/time for Internet usage so you can expect a slight dip in performance.

trying to run the speed test now, but Shockwave flash keeps crashing.
frown.gif

Ping 34 Ms
Download 20.05 mbps
Upload 10.08 mbps

I don't know what any of that means, do those numbers look ok?

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Any ideas why my wifi is so slow now? For example watching a youtube video on my i-touch now takes forever. Sometimes it is better than others, and I am never more than 20 feet from the router. I was told by the Comcast salesman that the speeds would be faster, lol.

Go to your safari web browser on the devise and go to youtube, it will direct you to the mobile site and look at videos with that, if it works then its the app itself, clear the cache on the app and retry the app.

Ive had this problem before with my devise and clearing the cache fixed the problems i had,also if you have a wireless phone at your house that runs on the 2.4ghz frequency then it sometimes will conflict with the wifi signal.

Ping 34 Ms
Download 20.05 mbps
Upload 10.08 mbps

This is plenty fast for even HD video streaming. Something else is responsible for your issues, not Comcast.

Your service is plenty fast. As mentioned another problem....
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Ping 34 Ms
Download 20.05 mbps
Upload 10.08 mbps

This is plenty fast for even HD video streaming. Something else is responsible for your issues, not Comcast.

Isn't Comcast known for throttling user's bandwidth when using competitor's streaming video services so they can sell their own streaming video service? IIRC their own service was not subject to their bandwidth caps, while competitor's services were subject to strict bandwidth caps. They say they only monitor data use and don't throttle, but I'd take that with a salt mine.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Isn't Comcast known for throttling user's bandwidth when using competitor's streaming video services so they can sell their own streaming video service? IIRC their own service was not subject to their bandwidth caps, while competitor's services were subject to strict bandwidth caps. They say they only monitor data use and don't throttle, but I'd take that with a salt mine.

You can test for throttling:
http://www.measurementlab.net/

I have Comcast 25/5 and I can easily stream 1080p via Netflix or YouTube with almost zero buffering. My network is 802.11n 2.4/5 simultaneous-dual-band.

Even when we had 20Mbps service I could stream HD video no problem. Try a new wireless router, or buy your own if comcast provides it. That could be the problem.

Could be coincidence. You using Firefox? Update for flash plugin recently? Somethings up with one or the others recent updates. performance problems. Nobody knows yet whos problem it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back