Switched from factory fill to Mobil 1 0w20 AFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I drained the factory fill at 5600 miles and put in Mobil 1 0w20 AFE. M1 AFE makes the valve train louder idling and especially on startup, but the car starts noticeably better here in 12°F weather.

Originally Posted By: Rust_Belt_Pete
So I drained the factory fill at 5600 miles and put in Mobil 1 0w20 AFE. M1 AFE makes the valve train louder idling and especially on startup, but the car starts noticeably better here in 12°F weather.

This is what a LOT OF people say about Mobil 1 oils: Car performs great, usually gets noticeably louder engine.

Not every single person, but, it has become my only reservation about going with Mobil 1 as a brand, that consistent observation from a good number of, though not every single, people.

Originally Posted By: Brasileno
This is what a LOT OF people say about Mobil 1 oils: Car performs great, usually gets noticeably louder engine.

Not every single person, but, it has become my only reservation about going with Mobil 1 as a brand, that consistent observation from a good number of, though not every single, people.

LOT OF / not every single person / good number of:

That's a pretty wide range. From reading posts here the past 4 months, I'd say it's around a 50-50 mix of response, maybe even as high as 60-40 to 65-35 in favor of M1 not having noise issues.

Factory fill would have been Motorcraft synthetic blend 5W-20. 5,600 was a good point to dump the factory fill. I thought this would be another post where someone was dumping out the oil in their new car every 500 miles because of "break in metals".
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Branson304
Factory fill would have been Motorcraft synthetic blend 5W-20. 5,600 was a good point to dump the factory fill. I thought this would be another post where someone was dumping out the oil in their new car every 500 miles because of "break in metals".
laugh.gif

Hah! If I need to be changing my oil at 500 miles, I need to be changing the engine not the oil.

Must be Fords, cause everyone I've ever put M1 in made noticeably more noise. I know many say the noise is anecdotal and doesn't harm anything but I'm sorry, if my engine is making more noise something isn't right!

I just dumped a OCI of M1 0W40 out of my wifes explorer because it was so noisy even she noticed it. Now 3200 miles in on PYB and its quiet as a mouse.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Must be Fords, cause everyone I've ever put M1 in made noticeably more noise. I know many say the noise is anecdotal and doesn't harm anything but I'm sorry, if my engine is making more noise something isn't right!

I just dumped a OCI of M1 0W40 out of my wifes explorer because it was so noisy even she noticed it. Now 3200 miles in on PYB and its quiet as a mouse.
smile.gif

I don't think it is Ford specific, I've run it in tons of Ford vehicles including three Expeditions, several Explorers, two Town Cars, multiple Mustangs.....etc. It has never made any of them noisy.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: racin4ds

smile.gif

I don't think it is Ford specific, I've run it in tons of Ford vehicles including three Expeditions, several Explorers, two Town Cars, multiple Mustangs.....etc. It has never made any of them noisy.

Same here. I only use M1 oils, and in the case of my present Fords, I have used M1 0-20 for years now. Both engines perform like new.

Originally Posted By: Olas
M1 0w40 TDT made my car louder so I dumped it.

TDT (Turbo Diesel Truck) is a 5w-40 sold on this side of the pond. I think you perhaps mean M1 Turbo Diesel 0w-40?

M1 0-40 TDT(Turbo Diesel Truck)? No such oil.

Last edited:
Strong words, for someone who has been registered less than a month.

Originally Posted By: Brasileno
Originally Posted By: Rust_Belt_Pete

Originally Posted By: mjk
Strong words, for someone who has been registered less than a month.

I was smarter when I joined, got dumber, and then started getting smarter again.

I better quit while I'm ahead.

Otherwise, I could stick around for total enlightenment.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

TDT (Turbo Diesel Truck) is a 5w-40 sold on this side of the pond. I think you perhaps mean M1 Turbo Diesel 0w-40?

My mistake, turbo diesel 0w40 indeed.
Regardless, it was noisy so I dumped it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back